First time sounderising on Kurwongbah - 5/11/17

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.

First time sounderising on Kurwongbah - 5/11/17

Postby Cubits » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Oh man, how good are sounders/fish finders?! :p

I've fished Kurwongbah for a while, but it was mostly shore-based and involved picking a lot of weed off of trebles. In September i picked up my Viking GT and it got me behind the weed, which made things WAY easier, but still left me either casting along the back of weed banks, or driving around blind hoping i ran through a school.

Two weeks ago i finally copped a Garmin 45cv, and after a successful trip in Moreton bay where i caught my first mackerel, it was time to find out what was actually happening on the bottom of Kurwongbah!

Having never read a sounder before, i found the contour mapping to be an amazing help! The banks at the lake are deceptively flat and even, yet i found many dropoffs from 3m to 10m way closer to the shore than i expected. After a little driving around, i found a speed-bump at 5m which had a pile of bait on one side, and a pile of bass on the other. I set my mark, and went over it with two rods fitted with a 3B Deep Fatdog (my favourite flathead lure) and a Zman minnowz in opening night (my favourite jack lure).

Boom, both rods go off. First two bass are 28cm and 34cm.

After a few goes over the spot and pulling in several more average-sized bass, i had a little drive around to map out a bit more of the lake and see what's going on down there. The clear vu has crazy detail; i could make out individual tree stumps, rocks, and turtles which lit up like rocks 4m off the bottom! But every time i drove back over that first mark it produced. Eventually i just sat upwind of the spot and started casting in to get a bit more feel of the strikes. Great fun!

I had intended to do a bit of top-water fishing before sunset as i've never caught a bass on a popper before, but the wind didn't relent until 6pm. I was reluctantly paddling in to beat the gate closure as the bass started smashing bugs on the surface in the shallows. But it was still a great couple of hours, ending up with 16 caught and released.

Nice sunset as a storm loomed over the south. Good to see the water level of the lake finally back up to the grass-line, it makes the hike to and from the car slightly more tolerable.

Anyone pulled a yellowbelly out of this lake recently? I know it's been stocked with a few, and a friend caught one a few years back, but i haven't seen one in a long time. I'm still debating whether or not to grab a license for north pine dam for this season, that's a very pretty lake. Hmmm....
Cubits
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Re: First time sounderising on Kurwongbah - 5/11/17

Postby Ads22 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:22 am

Nice report there Cubits. Was hoping it would come up on here after seeing some pics on Viking Owners group. Done well.

How do you like the GT?
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Re: First time sounderising on Kurwongbah - 5/11/17

Postby dinodadog » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:28 am

There are a lot of mounds in lake K that hold bass, I usually troll looking for these then cast blades.
North Pine is fireing at the moment if you can find the schools, as I have said plenty of times I cant wait each year to get the 110 dollars out of my pocket. Last 5 trips 23,116,73,71 and 74 on monday all on lures.

Dino
Fish while you can.
Dinodadog
I am not a bass addict but I am very fond of them
dinodadog
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: brisbane
Kayaks: Fish bandit +hobie outback

Return to Freshwater Reports