Lake Dartmouth Trout Fishing Trip - With 360 video

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.
jordo+
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Melbourne
Kayaks: Kaskazi Dorado II

Lake Dartmouth Trout Fishing Trip - With 360 video

#1 Post by jordo+ » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:38 am

On Thursday Morning my wife and I hit the road, Dartmouth bound. The plan was for her to fish in my brother's boat for the weekend in the Dartmouth Women's classic, while I kept myself busy in the kayak. We got to the boat ramp around 10:30am to find my Dad and brother, boats in and respective crews on-board. Their start was a false one, with a motor issue stalling them while I set up. Hit the water and paddled into a stiff breeze over to my first spot, admiring the scenery as I went.
The first spot produced donuts. The boaties weren't fairing much better. I tried a few more spots, but the lake was quiet, except for the wind. The boat crews had ended up with a couple, but not really the haul we were used to from this beautiful lake. That evening was spent feeding parrots and catching grasshoppers.

On to day two. More wind. The trout still weren't playing ball. I tried a few spots and starting risking my lines through some very snaggy waters. BANG! A hit! Right over the snaggiest spot I fish. Winding in the fish my other rod sunk straight into the timbers. Future me problem. Attention on the rod in my hand, I felt the line rubbing timber. Bump, Bump, Nothing. It got away. The first opportunity in a day and a half of trolling was gone! Atleast the other line came out of the snags easily. Frustrated I made a pit stop at the nearest shore for food, a stretch, and some clarity of mind.

Post-lunch I paddled over to where I'd been told there was a fender hung up in a tree. Score! The benefit of being in a kayak on a dropping lake Dartmouth. let's hope my luck was beginning to turn around. Two hours of trolling later, it seemed like that fender had been my only spot of luck. I'd trolled back around to one of my favourite spots and was slowly continuing on, contemplating whether or not I would don the dry gear the following day. The rod buckled, a small frantic buckle, but still a buckle. After a short fight a tiny rainbow trout slid into the net. A very under-whelming, yet highly satisfying catch after all the effort I'd put in. I got the hook out and quickly released him.
Tiny Trout Tiny Planet.jpg
My hope was renewed. I was doing the right thing to catch trout on this lake afterall. I set about trolling again and soon had a proper hit! Some acrobats and net dodging followed before I netted a half decent rainbow in the low 40's. With all the paddling I'd done this one was looking a lot like dinner. It went quiet again after that and soon it was time to head back in. This was first day of the comp, and despite tough fishing, my dad and brother have skippered well and put the girls onto some fish for weigh-in. We went and got the girls weighed-in, teetering with the end of the weigh-in time limit. Back to the house. Showers. Fresh rainbow trout fillets. Re-rigging and tactics talk made up the rest of our early night.
Rainbow Trout 2.jpg
Amy and her fishes.jpg
Day three was looking a lot better. Five hits in the first couple of hours saw me net two browns, low 30s and low 40s. I failed to turn the camera on for the better one. I was struggling initially with my hook-ups due to paddling to 'set the hooks' and pulling the hooks instead, these weren't exactly tuna and I had to calm myself down when I got hit. The boaties had also taken advantage of the better fishing period, pulling a few fish. Once the wind kicked up again the fishing died. I battled it for a bit, but was well and truly fed up with it by this point. Into shore and off to the house for lunch. Early afternoon I wandered back up to the ramp to see where the boats were at. No sign of them. Water was a touch calmer, so I re-launched for a short arvo sesh. One hit, no hook up. Meeting my family back at the ramp I found them pretty excited.
Brown Trout Tiny Planet.jpg
Turns out that while cooking up some lunch at shore down the arm, my brother's girlfriend threw in a worm to contend for the biggest carp category. My wife and brother had laughed at her until 5 minutes later her rod buckled and a short fight saw an est. 4kg carp wrap her in the trees. With such short success my wife launched her on un-weighed worm into the trees. Soon it had been a scene of pandemonium with 3-5kg carp running left and right and my brother frantically diving in to net them. My dad had even dropped off one of my sisters to join in and get a carp for the junior carp category. She wound up pretty stoked with a 4.11kg carp that took out the category and also took the title of her biggest fish to date. A carp my brother's girlfriend managed would later take out the women's carp prize as well. They showed me the carp, and ranging from mid 60s to high 70s they were impressive fish, even if only dirty, stinkin' carp.

That night we had the presentation for the comp. My wife and brother's girlfriend took out second in the pairs weigh-in division and one of my sisters took out the junior weigh-in division, and of course they did alright in the carp category too. Exhausted from early mornings and long days on the water the whole family set their sights on a sleep in and no fishing the following day. I had other plans, but should have followed suit. Arriving at the boat ramp the next morning I was greeted by more of the same 20knot+ winds. The dry kit was soaked through and looking pretty unappealing to put on with another stiff breeze going straight through me. I decided against launching for the sake of comfort. Headed back to the house, began packing and editing.

Video:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Southern Bluefin Tuna: 112cm (19.4kg) Gummy: 120cm, Snapper: 78cm, Yellowbelly: 59.5cm, Kingfish: 78cm, Snook: 90cm, Couta: 85cm, redfin: 42cm, flathead (non-dusky): 68cm, Squid: 39cm (hood length), Shovel-nosed shark: 250cm

Return to “Freshwater Reports”