A very woody Barra

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

A very woody Barra

#1 Post by Ads22 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:31 pm

With drop off and pick up duties on Wednesdays now, my wife being at work, it limits my ability to get on the water and keeps the window short. I opted for the proximity of the Woolwash again to find a Barra. I was hoping the new moon would fire things up and hit the water shortly after school drop off. I tried with some different lures to begin with and was getting plenty of taps from suspected Tarpon. I dropped one fish after a little while on the water and then after persisting with the 5" paddle tail, I switched back to a 89mm Ecooda Live Shrimp.

Working this plastic prawn super slow through the structure eventually brought the hit from a decent fish and it immediately found some woodwork around which to entangle me. Being in the kayak has its benefits in this situation in that using the weight of the fish patiently draws you toward the structure. This makes the fight hard, but often makes unraveling the tangle a little easier. I cleared the first hurdle, passing my rod high over the timber, only to find I was now wrapped around a second post. I had to push back off the first structure to get better position, and as I did so, the fish continued to move. The second post was shorter and passing the rod over it, the line released quicker than expected and went slack. I took that for the fish being gone, not realising how far it had swum. However, upon tightening the line it took off again, wrapping me completely around a dead tree. I cleared this wrap easily then had to steer the fish from more structure before I felt I was in safe territory. With a nifty fight from a handy fish, I pushed back off the structure, drifting into the clear to net a 65cm Barramundi. Despite being fresh water, I decided it had been too long since I ate a good fish feed, so prepped it to go home for dinner.
BarraOn_L.jpg
Wrapped_L.jpg
BarraConundrum_L.jpg
WrappedAgain_L.jpg
TwistedBaz2_L.jpg
Barra65_L.jpg
Over the next half hour I received a number of hits and brief hookups, most likely from Tarpon. I then changed tact and focused on the edges as the wind had been a bit difficult to maintain position. I worked the weeds, lilies and timber running up the lagoon with only the occasional small hit, then headed back to the pylons for one last stint before heading off, after all, I had a fish to fillet before school pickup! After a little working over the pylons with a few different lures, I went back to the trusty live shrimp and briefly hooked what I took for a small Barra that released itself in the air, only to realise on review of the footage that it was a moderately sized Tarpon.

I headed for home and quickly filleted the fish, finding a small freshwater shrimp in the stomach. It's distinctly smaller than the lure I was using, but it was interesting, albeit not surprising, to see that they are feeding on shrimp in the lagoon!

For dish 1, the fish was soaked in a mild saltwater brine for an hour, then marinated in olive oil, Lazy Yak beer, ginger, garlic, lime juice, salt and cracked pepper. I served it with a roast pumpkin ravioli and baby spinach. My kids eat well, that's for sure! Despite the tussle in the structure, there was no woody taste!

Dish 2 (tonight) consisted of Barra pie, with leek, potato, onion, chili, dill, zucchini, cheese, cream and of course some seasoning, alongside some nice chips and green stuff. The youngest finished a piece the same size as the adults! There is still some left for another feed, including the wings - so they get well used in this house, even a 'small' fish!

With some luck I might find some salt water this weekend, but I suspect it may be a close to home trip at this rate.

Until next time, cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Rory222
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Riverina, NE Vic & Wallis Lake
Kayaks: Hobie Outback (Dune), Hobie Sport (Blue), Hobie PA14 (Dune)

Re: A very woody Barra

#2 Post by Rory222 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:25 pm

Nice work Ads! Always pleasing to win a battle in the timber :grin:
Yak PB's
Murray Cod - 68cm
Trout Cod - 58cm
Yellowbelly - 53cm
Flathead - 91cm
Bream - 43cm
Whiting - 40cm
Tailor - 45cm
Trevally - 43cm
Redfin - 25cm
Blackfish - 34cm
Tarwhine - 36cm
Carp - 74cm
River Blackfish - 15cm

HARTE
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba Qld
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT, WS Aspire 105, Hobie PA12

#3 Post by HARTE » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:41 pm

Great result, you did very well indeed to get that fish out!
Cheers, Graham.

Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

#4 Post by Mackayak » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:11 am

Nice work on getting the fish. Your kids do eat well :wink:
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 35cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 34cm;

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#5 Post by Ads22 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:24 pm

Another one in which I'm yet to deal with the footage, but I'll post it up here when I get through it. A fun little fight! Always luck involved with all the wood work around, have lost a couple in the last month or so.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Return to “Freshwater Reports”