Storm Barra Easter Bonus

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Storm Barra Easter Bonus

#1 Post by Ads22 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:21 pm

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_2B669QMro

This Easter I was on call and spent a lot of time hoping the phone wouldn't ring! With my family away in Brisbane I was on my lonesome and appreciated the quiet time, allowing me to get a little video editing done, and a small amount of time on the water. Early in the week I received an order from MO Tackle, in which I had a couple of QLD Maroons Rapala SXR10's and a couple of Melbourne Storm Rapala Rattlin' hard body vibes, along with a few other goodies. Good Friday was looking reasonably quiet, so I set out in the afternoon with the intention of finding myself a Barra on the Melbourne Storm lure. A nice purple colour, of course, I figure this would go okay for Bass, too. The wind was blowing pretty hard and not looking good for fishing, but with the ESE wind, I expected some protection from the trees at the Woolwash. This was handy as it offered me a quick escape if the phone rang!

With just the one rod, I started by flicking a few other lures about with no luck, so turned to the Storm vibe working a section that I often only cast at a little and soon came up tight on a nice fish. It ran hard and despite the firm drag, still managed to pull some line, but more so, tow me around. As the fish got closer to the yak, I was glad it hadn't gone aerial too often as it was barely pinned in the lip by one hook. I worked hard to keep the line tight and backed the drag off a little to allow it to tire some more before trying to net it. As it battled on towards the end, the second treble pinned the gill plate and offered a little more security. In the end, a nice 75cm Barra graced the net. Having no dinner organised, I decided to take it home and make up a feast for myself - and perhaps keep some for the family when they got home after Easter.

WWStormBarraLeap_L.jpg
StormBarraLeap2_L.jpg
WWStormBarra2_L.jpg
WWStormBarraSelfie_L.jpg
WWStormBarraSun_L.jpg

I fished on for another short period, changing to the QLD Maroons lure, hoping to double up, but soon got off the water before the sun went down to test fly my new Mavic Air Drone. It's a cool, easy to fly little unit with some pretty handy video quality. I have a bit of work to do on shot composition and settings, but it was great to be able to fly it over the trees and assess the water in the next lagoon, Frogmore. It appears there is still plenty of water in there and may be a trip I make soon up the dry creek bed to try and tempt a Frogmore Barra. I did have a few tense moments as I ran the battery very low and the drone hovered over the water with me having trouble releasing the auto 'Fly Home' mode. It took off up the lagoon to where we had started and managed to avoid the trees a few times before clipping a limb and dropping into the reeds below. Phew, almost a costly muck up as the reeds cushioned the fall and were high and dry with the receding water line!

WWPylonsDrone1_L.jpg
FrogmoreDrone2_L.jpg
WWSunsetDrone1_L.jpg
WWSunsetDrone2_L.jpg
WWSunsetDrone5_L.jpg

Dinner comprised of Barra wings and belly flap fried in coconut oil with the scales on, with the pan covered with foil to speed up the cooking process. The rub was made with olive oil, ginger, garlic, sweet chili, lime juice, salt and pepper. Some nice chips, salad leaves, avo, tomato and beer accompanied my solo Good Friday meal. Unfortunately, the Storm weren't able to pull of the victory that night. :roll:

20190419_194833_L.jpg

I managed a quick flick from the bank Sunday afternoon just before sun down before the phone rang and sent me out of town for a job, then back in for a long night on another job. Monday morning I was a little tired, but decided to make the most of a brief window in time to get on the water. The wind was less than ideal, channeling, for the most part, straight up the lagoon. I was onto a fish very early flicking at a lonely stick in the middle of the lagoon. It was a decent little fight, although no drag was pulled, and I soon found the biggest Bony Bream I have come across in my net. iDFish puts them up to 32cm, but this one went 36-37cm on the ruler and fell to the QLD Maroons SXR10. Not the first Bony I've caught on lure, but still a surprised to have it hit and fight like it did.

GH012323_1555901082373_high_L.jpg

Dinner Monday night with the family home consisted of Barra burgers and chips. Patties were made with chunks of Barra fillet, mashed potato, dill, coriander, ginger, garlic, leek, kaffir leaves and lime juice, whacked on a Tiger roll with saled leaves, cheese, avovado and some greek yoghurt mixed lime. A little lime yoghurt accompanied the chips. I made on extra to have for lunch Tuesday. Magic!

20190422_182339_L.jpg
20190422_184255_S.jpg

Not a crazy extra long weekend on call, busy enough to divert plans for family events but quiet enough to give me a couple of brief moments flicking lures! hope others managed to find a time to fish over Easter! Rocky is slipping through town and hopefully I'll get down for a fish with him tomorrow after Anzac Day activities in the morning, but the wind has gone up another notch and it'll take some luck to make fishing worth it!

Cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ads22 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Mitch92
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: CQ

Re: Storm Barra Easter Bonus

#2 Post by Mitch92 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:39 pm

Sounds like a great weekend mate.

How did the barra taste being out of the woolwash?

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#3 Post by Ads22 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Mitch92 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:39 pm
Sounds like a great weekend mate.

How did the barra taste being out of the woolwash?
A reasonable weekend for being on call with no family for Easter, I guess. Barra was perfectly fine. I don't see why people have issues with freshwater Barra. They obviously can't cook or are full of themselves. In fact, did some up with a 'One Night in Mexico' Lime and Jalapeno soft taco kit - used Barra instead of Chicken. It was awesome and will do it again, think it will go even better with something like Mackerel as it holds its shape whereas Barra flakes. Anyway, it was awesome and will have some of the leftovers now, I think!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Mitch92
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: CQ

#4 Post by Mitch92 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:29 am

I've never had freshwater fish other than yellowbelly many moons ago, hence the question. Oh and btw some of the meals you cook and show or mention here sound absolutely awesome!

Rory222
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Riverina, NE Vic & Wallis Lake
Kayaks: Hobie Outback (Dune), Hobie Sport (Blue), Hobie PA14 (Dune)

#5 Post by Rory222 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:28 pm

X2 on the great looking feeds. Gets the mouth watering for sure. Good work on the Storm lure too...go Storm! 😁
Yak PB's
Murray Cod - 68cm
Trout Cod - 58cm
Yellowbelly - 53cm
Flathead - 91cm
Bream - 43cm
Whiting - 40cm
Tailor - 45cm
Trevally - 43cm
Redfin - 25cm
Blackfish - 34cm
Tarwhine - 36cm