WA TroutFest Drakesbrook Weir

Caught something really special or unusual from your kayak then please share it in here

WA TroutFest Drakesbrook Weir

Postby Collie Yak » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:22 am

Hi crew

I had a fantastic weekend, it started on Friday, it was wet and missable and I Kayaked for about 5 hours to eventually score my first Rainbow Trout. I've made a vid on this and posted it on this forum, but here it is again for those that missed it.

https://youtu.be/kileftEx-6g

The next day I went to the TroutFest held by Recfishwest at the Drakesbrook Weir. 2 of my skidlids tagged along and we fished all day. I managed 2 Rainbows around 39cm and a small Reddie. Unfortunately the kids lucked out. I recon I watched about 12 Trout get caught from the banks that day. Inspired by this I told the wife I'd like to spend fathers day at Drakesbrook and I'd really enjoy watching the kids catch fish. We packed all the gear and the 3 kayaks, once we arrived I got the Angler 3.0 out and paddled my daughter around for about an hour while she trolled Lures out the back. She managed 1 small Reddie. After a great breakfast I took the youngest lad out, we trolled the banks all the way around the dam and about 100 mtrs from where we started he's rod buckled and line peeled off, it wasn't long before we netted the beast at 44cm and paddled back in. He ran with his catch as fast as he could to mum and showed off his beast proud as punch to the amazement of a crowd of onlookers. Once the fuss was over it was number one sons turn, as usual his efficiency shined through, we launched the Yak and he cast the line out the back, I started to paddle and no sooner had his line tightened and the lure started to wobble he was on with the biggest beast of the day at 47cm. What an epic fight he had and a great Father's Day for me.

The vid link below

https://youtu.be/Jh4abmenfAk
Collie Yak
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: SW WA

Return to Catch Of The day