Underwater Maps - Man-made lakes

Tell us about a spot that you have fished, it's suitability for yak fishing, amenities, parking, costs, rules & regs, type of fish, launching, etc etc.

Underwater Maps - Man-made lakes

Postby XXXX_guy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any interest in underwater maps of man-made (dammed) lakes in Queensland (possibly to locate underwater structure for fishing)?

If you can find a topographic map made prior to them damming up an area and you know the height of the spill-way you can draw a line on the historical map at the correct height which will be the outline of the lake and then just look in this area for any interesting features.

For example Lake Wyaralong has a map prior to damming at: https://gisservices.information.qld.gov ... 1-1985.jpg
The spillway is at 63.6m AHD
Therefore if you draw a line approximately where 63.6m height is this will give the lake outline when full. 63.6 minus the height on the map will give the depth.

Let me know if anyone has any interest in this type of map and what Lake you are looking for and I'll see what I can find that is freely available online. As mentioned above it must be a man-made (ie. dammed lake). Also there may be some discrepancies where it is a small lake which has had additional earthworks done.

Cheers,
XXXX_guy
XXXX_guy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Logan and surrounds

Re: Underwater Maps - Man-made lakes

Postby Ozzybass » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:37 am

Too bad I hate fishing dams but this is a good idea & great offer. Is it only for Qld dams? I can think of a couple of NSW ones that I might be interested in.
Ozzybass
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Australis Bass

Return to Fishing Places & Amenities