Burrum Heads

Tell us about a spot that you have fished, it's suitability for yak fishing, amenities, parking, costs, rules & regs, type of fish, launching, etc etc.

Burrum Heads

Postby hairymick » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:07 pm

Hi guys,

Just a couple of piccies of Burrum Heads, S.E. Queensland. There is a caravan park with units etc just behind from where some these pics were taken.

I know this is a fair way from you Sydney guys, but you never know.

For those interested, Burrum Heads is a small holiday town right on the mouth of our Burrum River. Population (permanent) arounf 1500. it has a pub and bowling club, two caravan parks both with direct access to the river, A general store, hardware & fishing gear shop, nice resteraunt and butcher shop and two boat ramps. There is very safe swimming here for the littluns and a classic, old fashioned, laid back holiday town attitude

It is about 30 klms from Hervey Bay and 40 klms from Maryborough, both major regional centres in their own right.

The average day time winter temp here is around 22 degrees with water temp around 19.

If you are thinking about coming north for a holiday, I reckon this place is up there with the best SE Qld has to offer a yak fisho.(and their family)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Mick,
NATURELINE Wanderer,Mermaid
JEMWATERCRAFT -Swampgirl (modified)Kadaitchi
- Assymetrical Pirogue, Laker, Southwind & Sasquatch
hairymick
KFDU Angler

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:31 pm

Gday Hairy
Mate Awsome post. This isnt a Sydney only kayakFishing forum :roll: I am glad you have Put some info on your Local Burrum Heads :D
top photos & Review :grin:

Cheers Ben
Ben

Postby hairymick » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:52 pm

Thanks Benny,

I know it is for everyone, but most members - so far seem to come from down that way. I reckon that may change.

I just thought some might be thinking of escaping the cold for a while this winter and maybe, consider coming past the gold coast. :evil:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Mick,
hairymick
KFDU Angler

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:05 pm

Gday Hairy
Mate wait until i move up to QLD next year we will get a few more Queenslanders on board :wink:

Cheers Ben
Ben

Postby Salty Dog » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:43 pm

Looks great hairymick. Hope I can get up there to visit sometime with my little boy.
Regards, Adam.

Stealth Fisha 550
Salty Dog
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Berowra

Postby Buj » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:38 pm

Nice one Hairy, I'll be sure to swing by on my next trip up North. (hopefully not too long away).
Regards,

Buj
Founder / Site Admin

Local Fishing Region: Central Coast NSW
Kayaks: OK Prowler 4.5 Elite, Malibu Mini X

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:21 pm

G'day Hairy

Mate that look's like Yak Fisho's paradise. We purchased an Investment Property up near Caboolture & plan on heading up that way before too much longer. By then I should have my first Yak. :smile:
Cheers

Dave
Sutherland

PA12
Perception Swing
Dave
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking/Georges River
Kayaks: PA12, Perception Swing

Postby hairymick » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:02 pm

Hi dave, If you are coming to Caboulture, might I suggest you check out the Pumicestone Passage just down the road - inparticular the western beaches on Bribie Island and a little further up the passage at Donnybrook.
As I understand it, the place has been closed to commercial fishing for a number of years now and has really made a comeback.

Check it out These were taken of the western beach of Bribie Island
Regards,
Mick,
hairymick
KFDU Angler

Postby Buj » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:08 pm

Damn that looks good.

Dave, we'll have to organise that trip up North as soon as you get your yak.
Regards,

Buj
Founder / Site Admin

Postby hairymick » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:10 pm

Hi Buj,

if any of you come that far i would love to come town for a meet & greet. :grin:
Regards,
Mick,
hairymick
KFDU Angler

Postby Buj » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:14 pm

Sounds good hairy,

Dave has been showing me maps of the dams up in Queensland so we can target Bass. It would be great to catch up and have a fish with you in your area.
Regards,

Buj
Founder / Site Admin

Borumba

Postby stinkfish » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:49 am

How goes it Hairymick, I am a reasonably recent convert to KFDU and kayak fishing but a dead set fishing addict. I just discovered your reports on Woodgate and Burrum heads which are places I have been but not with kayak. They look very enticing.

I am curious as to whether you have fished Borumba Dam or any other impoundments in the Sunshine Coast hinterland. I am looking to head up for the weekend in a couple of weeks and if you have any tips that would be much appreciated.

Also if you are need a wingman for any trips then let me know. I am Brisbane based but get out pretty much most weekends for a fish or a surf.
stinkfish
KFDU Angler

Re: Burrum Heads

Postby Brenda5 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:41 am

Here is my favorite go to when fishing in Burrum Heads. The weather section isn't entirely accurate in the wind part as the monitor is way up the river away from the ocean area so bare in mind if the river readings are fine, the ocean ones may not be.
http://burrumdistrictweather.com.au/ind ... ishing-map

I also get an email from on Fridays which usually tells a little bit about whats happening in fishing around Burrum Heads as well as surrounds. https://www.fishostackleworld.com.au/

So far in a few years I have been here I have caught bream, sting rays (avoid using prawns if you don't want to catch those), shovel nosed ray, whiting, flathead, trevally, dart, fork tailed catfish and silver toadfish. The toads while not edible are quite a bit of fun to land as they fight well but can bite a hook in half. There are also sand crabs and mudcrabs if you set crab pots and lots of prawns when in season.

The usual contact for holiday makers wanting to rent is Elders Real Estate, Burrum Heads.

Every Easter they hold a fishing classic here. I entered this year but never caught a thing :lol: https://www.burrumheadsfishing.com.au/a ... assic.html

Oh and btw, we now have 3 boat ramps and good parking too. Just past the big boat ramp and park with all amenities including free electric bbq, there is a paved footpath you can take your yaks down and launch in the sandy area.
Brenda5
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Burrum Heads, Qld
Kayaks: Dragon Pro Fisher kayak

Return to Fishing Places & Amenities