Gloucester island

Tell us about a spot that you have fished, it's suitability for yak fishing, amenities, parking, costs, rules & regs, type of fish, launching, etc etc.
Barra assassin
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Mackay QLD
Kayaks: Pro angler 14

Gloucester island

#1 Post by Barra assassin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:40 am

just went to dingo beach ( near airlie beach) for a look find a nice fishing spot for xmass holiday, highly recommend checking this place out montes reef resort look up on the web. Gloucester island is 100 meters off the beach it is a huge island with some great fishing! I will be booking a spot soon. Will put a trip report up after I go, I can't wait
Pb: coral trout 42cm, flathead 20cm

peterjh
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: travelling australia
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler

Re: Gloucester island

#2 Post by peterjh » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Kane
Just a bit outside of Gloucester is Rattray Island. Good spaniards on the spit that runs off the western point. A few years ago I fished Rattray (not from the kayak) and my offsider hooked a large sailfish just off the western side. With your electric and reasonable weather, the PA could do Rattray from Montes. Watch the passage between Montes and Gloucester on a big runout and an easterly or Soueaster. It can standup and very short. Would not be fun in the PA.

regards
Peter
Poppy Pete

yakfly
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler,Hobie Maui

Re: Gloucester island

#3 Post by yakfly » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:36 pm

and watch out for a big tiger shark that locals told us haunted the passage when I was up there about 6 years ago,hopefully
he's moved on.
Sinclairs Bay is bit further around to the west and used to hold good fish such as barra,threadies and jacks.
Cheers Dave
Hobie ProAngler,Hobie Maui

Work like you dont need the money and fish like you dont need to eat.

Return to “Fishing Places & Amenities”