Brisbane newbie after first kayak advice

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and say "G'day".

Brisbane newbie after first kayak advice

Postby TheBrownSnake » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi everyone,

Two in one! A quick g'day and a request for advice. I know this has been done to death, but I was after a few opinions regarding what kayak you would recommend, specific to my case. I am ~70kg and 165cm (5'5"). Been wanting to get into yak fishing for a long time, and now with a bit more free time I can finally dip my toe in the water. Pretty fit, but quite inexperienced, school camps being the only times I've paddled (always on Lake Moogerah).

I live right on Breakfast Creek, in Brisbane, almost literally, it's 50m down the hill. My initial plans are to get something cheap, and fish along Breakfast Creek up to the where it joins Brisbane River, Cabbage Tree Creek, Lake Samsonvale, Lake Manchester, Lake Wivenhoe, Lake Moogerah, then a bit further afield Maroochy River, Noosa River, Lake Borumba, Lake Manchester. Dream species to catch from this are Mangrove Jack and Saratoga, but happy to be out catching anything.

Doing it for the exercise, seeing the great outdoors, and hopefully to get the odd feed.

Then if I enjoy it as much as I suspect I will, I'd be looking at getting another yak for more offshore. I take the old 18ft Flightcraft Dominator ski boat over to South Straddy semi-regularly, and would want to kayak from there around Moreton Bay, as well as around Moreton Island, particularly around the reefs located north-east of the island, and hopefully get into spearfishing as well.

I also really like the look of the Humminbird HELIX 7 CHIRP SI GPS G2N (RRP $1,550 AU), particularly with the Autochart Live feature. So I would also like opinions regarding whether to get a cheaper yak to begin with, and save for the expensive fish finder that I would be able to transfer to a better yak in the future.

So for cheapies I am looking at something like Dream Kayaks' Dream Catcher 3 down to $450 - http://www.dreamkayaks.com.au/dream-cat ... -brisbane/
or the Dragonfly 5 $350 - http://www.dreamkayaks.com.au/dragonfly ... k-package/

Or for diving in the deep-end I was considering saving for a few more weeks and if this was still available - a second hand Profisha 475: https://www.shopaks.com.au/collections/ ... ofisha-525

And a link for the Humminbird Helix 7 - http://humminbird.com.au/products/helix ... i-gps-g2n/

All advice is greatly appreciated, a kick in the right direction would be great if I'm heading about this the wrong way,

Cheers,
Richard.
TheBrownSnake
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Re: Brisbane newbie after first kayak advice

Postby TheBrownSnake » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Anyone with advice regarding to which kayak would best suit Breaky Creek/Cabbage Tree Creek Brisbane?
TheBrownSnake
KFDU Angler

Postby Leper » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:57 am

I would go either of the cheapie to start with. The Profisha would have limited use in any of the creeks, rivers or lakes and is more an offshore kayak. The two SOTs you have chosen are good entry level kayaks and a good way to get started without breaking the bank account! All the fishing locations you have chosen fill a very broad spectrum and each location would require a different kayak in my view. Rivers and creeks you want them small and manoeuvrability and you don't need to worry about wind and waves. Big lakes like Wivenhoe and Sommerset you will find the smaller kayaks you have chosen are good to fish the edges but not so much hitting the middle which can get really rough at times.

My advice is pick either of the cheapie knowing you will probably upgrade later down the track when you figure out which area of fishing you like the most!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Postby TheBrownSnake » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:43 pm

Legend! Really appreciate the reply (:
TheBrownSnake
KFDU Angler

Postby laneends » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:33 pm

For a first kayak that is likely to be upgraded I would forgo the brand new bath tub kayaks and look at something second hand like this for example
prowler 4.1

Theres no enjoyment in paddling those short bath tubs, it could put you off the whole idea altogether. Garages of Australia are full of those things used once or twice then left to gather cobwebs.

A decent kayak will make a bigger difference than a bells and whistles sounder
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby Ads22 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 pm

laneends wrote:Theres no enjoyment in paddling those short bath tubs, it could put you off the whole idea altogether. Garages of Australia are full of those things used once or twice then left to gather cobwebs.

I agree in some sense laneends. Plenty of kayaks around that are not used. However, I have a 2.7m Fish Bandit that I really enjoy paddling. I also have the Viking Reload and I love paddling it. The shorter yak handles really well, and I'm sure is better than a cheap bathtub, but the ability to turn easily ( can turn on the spot) and get into tight spaces is great. The Reload on the other hand is great on the ocean and on longer paddles, and is certainly more comfortable.

Fishing creeks is certainly very doable in the short yak, and it is much easier to load in awkward places, easier to transport, and so on. Fishing dams and lakes or ocean is much better in the larger more stable and comfortable yak.

It may be worth talking to Richard at That Fishing Shop. They do trips each week to various places around Brisbane, including Breakfast Creek and do trial days on their kayaks. It may give you a sense for what you feel comfortable with. I'm sure you could also talk to some of the other kayak places about trial days, also. Viking at Sunny Coast are pretty good to deal with and have a great range of kayaks.

You will also find plenty of yaks being turned over via KFDU, Gumtree or FB groups (in your area try the Brisbane Kayak Fishers group, there are always kayaks on there). eg. I just saw a Mantra 12ft yak with sounder for $420 (listed at $600 but reduced multiple times in comments). Definitely worth a look from a price point. I also saw a nice review of the Dragon Kayaks the other day on YouTube by a guy who was selling them from Bundy for a while, some footage from over a year of use, too. Keep in mind he did sell them and his ocean trips were on very calm days!

I don't get out in my 2.7m often but I love it. And I really love the comfort of my Reload, but they are much more pricey. I would also love to have a Stealth. Sometimes there's just not enough room for everything. Good luck with your first choice. I'm sure it won't be the first.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby laneends » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Short kayaks have their place, unfortunately too many beginners are not totally aware of how limited they are. ie. Before pulling the trigger make sure you appreciate the difference so it is an educated choice.

As Ads says, try some different ones so you get a feel for what you want. I have an 11 foot, a 13 foot and a 16 foot and they are chalk and cheese. Typically 13 foot is a good alrounder if you only have one kayak. I started with a 3m typical shorty. Felt stable but was the only one I ever flipped. Not enough length and hence bouyancy behind you. One careless twist and in you go with no warning. In a stiff wind no chance of keeping it pointing where you want to go.

Paddling is an assymetrical action and the kayak swings from one side to the other in reaction to each stroke. The longer the hull the more resistance to this and it reduces this "yawing" from side to side. On the other hand, as stated very manouverable. Hence short kayaks for surf play and white water. You just dont want to travel far in a shortie, or get caught out in crap weather

Your first kayak will influence whether the activity is for you or not. Dont let a poor choice cause you to decide its all too much like hard work, or even worse, scary. Given you already have your sights on a stealth tends to indicate you are aiming high.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby Occy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:07 am

You'll get as many opinions as there are different makes and models out there so take this one with a grain of salt.
1. There's nothing wrong with the Chinese cheapies
2. Longer (3m plus) is always better than short (2.7m)
3. Forget the sounder for now and concentrate on the yak
4. Make sure you get a good quality comfy seat and life jacket
5. Buy a decent lightweight paddle
6. Get out there and start developing your kayaking skills
7. Enjoy yourself

Lastly make sure you keep us appraised of your progress with this obsession that is kayak fishing. And remember if you don't have the photos it never happened.

Cheers Paul
Kayak fishing isn't a sport. It's much more serious than that.
Occy
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour and offshore, various inland waterways
Kayaks: Skimmer 128, Calypso

Postby nigel » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:34 am

Mate I've lost count (almost think its 14 now :blah: ) that I've owned I started small plastic went to bigger plastics then BANG got a glass fetish difference is plastic is very forgiving if you drop it off the roof rack/ram oyster beds etc but is slower glass is more delicate but ultimately repairable agree with earlier comment by Leper re stealth profisha being too long for creeks but if you get a chance check out a stealth BFS there very stable very agile love mine (2nd one I've owned) & it fits a variety of applications & theres a few on the market 2nd hand if you keep your eyes open.But try as many as you can.

Nigel
ImageImage
nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: Stealth BFS 470 profisha 575

Return to New Members