A BlueBaboon in Hobart

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and say "G'day".

A BlueBaboon in Hobart

Postby BlueBaboon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi everyone, Thanks for the add.

I am from Durban, South Africa and will be moving to Hobart in November.
I have been fishing off a yak in Durban for a couple years now mainly targeting pelagics. I also dabble in some bass (which I believe aren't found in Tasmania) and fly fishing (Tasmania is legendary in terms of the trout I have read...Bonus) and was hoping that there was a tight knit community like we had in Durban and was happy to find this forum.

BlueBaboon you may ask? hahaha its a group of paddlers, you could say family of guys and one gal I fished with in Durban, Our group quickly grew into a bit of an attraction, with an article in the Gofish magazine in South Africa as we tried to help new guys getting into the sport get on their feet quickly, safely and onto some pelagics without having to blank for months like we had to when we all started.

I have read a couple of posts on the forum and watched countless videos on YouTube with regards to fishing in Tassie, and was happy to see that fishing is really good, mostly bream, trout etc. but was just wondering if anyone fishes for pelagics off there yaks like I did in Durban? I know the weather is very fickle though in Tassie so it might be a bit on the risky side to paddle kms out into the big blue like I did in Durban.
I have read that there are some monster bluefins, which I don't really want to try and tackle with my Stealth Fisha 460 and Daiwa SL50 hahaha, don't want a free trip back to Durban via a 100kilo Bluefin hahaha.

I will be landing in November and my yak should arrive a few months after that along with my fishing gear, so I should be ready to go by February sometime. I will probably get myself a small setup to bank bash for the few months wait till my stuff arrives.

Looking forward to meeting some of the forumites from Tasmania when I land.

Tight lines and screaming reels :lek:
Cheers
Rowan (Blue Baboon)
A Kayakfishing, Outdoor loving BlueBaboon from Durban South Africa, who escaped the jungle to head down to Tassie in search of great fishing, great mates and a new life

Youtube page: https://youtu.be/OkgVhsjHEjM
BlueBaboon
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Tasmania
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 460 (BananaRama), Pisces Predator Kickboat

Re: A BlueBaboon in Hobart

Postby BlueBaboon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Some of my memorable catches back in South Africa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A Kayakfishing, Outdoor loving BlueBaboon from Durban South Africa, who escaped the jungle to head down to Tassie in search of great fishing, great mates and a new life

BlueBaboon
KFDU Angler

Postby arpie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:59 am

Welcome, to both Australia (when you arrive!) and KFDU, Rowan!!

Yes, weather can be fickle in Tassie - so you'd better bring your winter woollies with you!! Some fantastic fishing opportunities there - inshore as well as offshore.

We have quite a few members in Tassie (tho some are in Launceston) .....all great guys .....

Trout are famous in Tassie - and also the home of BIG 'Black Bream' - bream aren't commercially targeted in Tassie, so they tend to be a lot BIGGER than on mainland Aussie ..... they can fight hard - and are a good table fish! Make sure you have a go there!!

I was in Tassie for a week last year - you can read my (inshore) report here ..... next time I'll go for trout! :lek:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=47580

Shoot a PM to 'Spork' ..... he fishes Hobart occasionally - but usually found closer to Launceston! :wink:

cheers

Roberta

NICE FLOAT BOAT!! :gu:
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby BlueBaboon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Thanks So much for the warm welcome Roberta,

I am really looking forward to the move and the new fishing challenges.

Wow you must have had a great week, some great pics!
Those Bream look like a ton of fun on light tackle, and I know how hard decent size Tailor fights as well we have them here (Durbanites call them Shad).

We been stocking up on the jackets and longs, My sister in-law been in Tas for 10 years so she has given us the low down hahahahaha.

Will post my catches and experiences as soon as I have wet a line in Tassie.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and have a great weekend.

Cheers
Rowan

BlueBaboon
KFDU Angler

Postby arpie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:05 am

Terrific, Rowan ..... you actually have a lot of fish in SA that are 'in common' with Aussie fish (tho not all will be so far south!)

A couple .... from memory - your Kob is our Jewfish. Your Yellowtail is our Kingfish .... and a heap probably more - like our Spanish Mackerel too! I used to have a book of SA fish .... but can't find it, to compare pics! :roll:

My husband lived in SA for some years, representing them in Athletics (MANY years ago!) and his twin brother won the Novice Division in Comrades once. Keith was in the lead one year in record time (back when it was a dirt road & traffic was allowed on it) but was sadly run off the road by a bus & turned his ankle, forcing him to pull out, just 5k from the finish! :cry: There was no 'backup/2nds' in those days ..... if he'd rested up a bit - he probably could have hobbled to the finish. :beye: We've visited a couple of times in the last 15 years - Capetown & Jo'burg.

cheers

Roberta

Put up heaps of your SA fish on this thread! I'd love to see them!
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby BlueBaboon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Wow What a story that's amazing, cant imagine running comrade with traffic now hahah, I think only about 10% will finish the rest will be run over by minibus taxis hahahah.

Yes I have noticed that, I follow a guy on YouTube called Rokkit Kit, He is on the mainland, a really great channel and from that I have seen that most of the fish are the same with different names, but like you say further south is going to be different.

I am looking forward to adding new species to my list.

Regards
Rowan

BlueBaboon
KFDU Angler

Postby Leper » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:52 pm

Welcome mate! Get stuck into those black bream in the estuaries with some light gear, you’ll have a ball! There is a member on here named Spork who has often written a few reposts of his fishing down in Tassie. Worth a read to get some hints! Hers is one of them;

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50059&p=412788#p412788

Cheers

Brad
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Postby BlueBaboon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks Brad

BlueBaboon
KFDU Angler

Return to New Members