Hooked on the hobie

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and say "G'day".

Hooked on the hobie

Postby Steve7181 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Thanks for having me here officially as i have been trolling the forum for months, learning everything i can.

Im 34 and have fished and spearfished (on and off) most of my life. Ive owned a few tinnys but for the most part have been land based as common sense kicked in (mrs) when it came to paying rego and repairs. I was looking through gumtree to purchase another cheap boat when i came across an ad for a hobie. It suited exactly what i needed with the ability to go offshore yet none of the ongoing running costs. In no time i agreed to purchase a 13ft revo with sail, turbo fins and plenty of other bits and pieces including a second seat to put in the crate area if i wanted to take the mrs out.
So far i have used it 5 times and i cant see me ever buying bait again as trolling lures and live bait has increased my catch rate tenfold compared to using bait from shore.
It hasnt been completely trouble free though with my first outing in shorts and bare feet causing severe sunburn. I also managed to put a hook through my lip after a badly timed wave while i was tieing a knot. I also learnt that my hobie is pre 2010 as the lever wont raise the rudder but its no big deal as i just manually raise the rudder by hand at the ramp. I have added a railblaza rod holder and a new garmin striker plus finder as the original finder that came with it was old and also mounted in the footwell so pretty much invisible with the mirage drive in.
I have caught a few rat kings and plenty of tailor upto 45cm which have been a blast in port kembla harbour and toothbrush island. Im currently in the running for a new job in brisbane so starting to read up on my bull shark fishing also.

Anyways i think i rambled enough in this post for now but hope i got across just how much im enjoying kayak fishing and wish i had got into it sooner. Hope to see you all in the big blue :grin:
Steve7181
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wollongong/camden

Re: Hooked on the hobie

Postby rocky » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:58 am

Welcome to KFDU Steve and what can I say you are enjoying what most of us on here have been doing for years and not only in hobies as there are a lot of great fishing yaks out there but I love my Hobie outback.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm (more to come one day)
Member of
rocky
Club Co-ordinator

Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

Re: Hooked on the hobie

Postby Steve7181 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:31 am

Thanks rocky
I have been been using the paddle abit incase i have an issue with the mirage drive and actually enjoy the feeling of a paddle.
I learnt a good lesson yesterday after trying to troll two lures plus having a live slimey out. I had all three lines tangled and wrapped around my rudder. I had to go in to untangle it but it was nerve wracking hoping i didnt hook up in the Pedal to the ramp. I think ill just have one deep diver lure close to the yak if i have a livie out again.
Steve7181
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wollongong/camden

Return to New Members