Time to join youse guys!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and say "G'day".
murd
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Coffs Northern Beaches
Kayaks: Sprite (SIK), Old Town Loon (SIK), Stealth Fisha 460

Time to join youse guys!

#1 Post by murd » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:59 pm

My partner and I relocated to beautiful Sandy Beach near Coff’s in May 2016 from Dee Why in Sydney where I could live out my retirement years fishing and surfing! Done the yak thing for many years now (including a bunch of paddling adventures in the NT) so have experience floating around waiting for a bite or two. Already had some luck earlier in the year in March with a 10kg Spanno (cleaned weight) and a number of other species, some of them nearly spooling me before busting off!

I’m also keen to explore some of the inland waterways in the area so if someone could recommend some nice places to paddle/camp that would be awesome. Anyway, hope to see some faces on the water in the near future. My work hours are very flexible being retired so would be keen to join anyone for a paddle in the area if considering going out (weather permitting of course).

Oh, some people might recognise me from the ‘Yak Shed’ but I feel KFDU has a lot more chaps residing on the NSW Nth Coast which is why I signed up.

Cheers,
Murd (Rick)

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Re: Time to join youse guys!

#2 Post by Dodge » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:36 pm

Welcome Rick, a lot on here you will know mate.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

pavo
KFDU 3000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Coffs coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisfa 500. Hobie PA 14 ,Oldtown loon 111 in cammo

#3 Post by pavo » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:54 am

Hi Rick and welcome to KFDU and the mid north coast. There's quite a few of us around coffs. Keep an eye on the north coast section il but on a barbecue a me a get together very soon.
Cheers Simon

Mac
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: east coast
Kayaks: Fisha 460

#4 Post by Mac » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:22 am

hi Rick,

not a bad part of the country you live.

Roy
cheers Rob

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#5 Post by arpie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi Rick

Welcome to KFDU & the north coast!! Nice spot you've chosen to retire to! :gu:

That's a nice Spaniard .... well done! Plenty of them in the sea there .... join Tommo & Yaqdoq & others out there looking for marlin again too! :wink: Lots of guys doing freshwater stuff too - monster bass in the rivers up that way!!

cheers

roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

murd
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by murd » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:23 am

Barby sounds good Pavo, let us know when and where!

Sandy Beach is a really handy and accessible spot for me to kayak (just have to wheel the yak from the front door) but the neighbours keep dragging me out in their boats (beach launch when calm) as a deckie to fish the 'Lighthouse' (too far to paddle) so most of my fishing this winter has been from a boat. Have marked some great spots out there, especially around Black Rock just off the Light which has AMAZING pelagic potential come Summer but again, a LONG paddle and one I wouldn't do alone. Here's one we caught the other day near Black Rock, a 'blubber-lip' bream/sweetlip/slatey bream. AMAZING eating/fight and was shared around this end of Sandy. Hopefully next time I'll be posing near the yak holding a fish like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

action1974
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Around Coffs Harbour

#7 Post by action1974 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Is the little red car still going? No more trips to the gulf? They were epic tales....should put a couple of them on here as many would not have read them....
Brett

murd
KFDU Angler

#8 Post by murd » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:43 am

action1974 wrote:Is the little red car still going? No more trips to the gulf? They were epic tales....should put a couple of them on here as many would not have read them....
Yeah the LRC is in the garage here at Sandy still going strong. Haven't been back to the Gulf since the 2012 epic adventure but something might happen next year. Crocs would have had 6 years growth on them by then so could be an interesting trip!

yaqdoq
2012 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: East of Oz
Kayaks: 495 Evo

#9 Post by yaqdoq » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi Murd .
Sandy is awesome to launch from . calamari heading to groper . north side of groper has had marlin before while the pinnacle on the north east side holds more pelagic than most in summer . Black rock and the wash has a good chance of wahoo .
See you on the water soon . What craft have you got . I paddle towards groper a bit , just have to go around the sanctuary zones .
Tight lines

murd
KFDU Angler

#10 Post by murd » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi yaqdoq. The main craft I use from Sandy is my Stealth Fisha 460 and when really calm, the Loon. As mentioned earlier I keep getting dragged out in the tinny by my neighbour whenever conditions are good (he likes me as a deckie cause I catch most of the fish!) so haven't done much bottom bashing in the ski, just mainly trolling and chasing the bustups out the front here. Not too keen on a marlin but would love another Spanish, or one of those huge tuna near Groper that made me look stupid last summer...

Return to “New Members”