New Bass Hunter

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and say "G'day".

New Bass Hunter

Postby Dan OM » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Hi Guys

I have recently had to time to take my Dragon Profisher out for a couple attempts at some Aussie Bass.
I am new to kayak fishing and also never landed a Bass before either, I live very close to Colloges Crossing in Ipswich.
Would love to get some tips tricks and advice as i seem to have caught the bug and neeeed to land one

Thanks Dan OM
Dan OM
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Ipswich
Kayaks: Dragon Pro Fisher

Re: New Bass Hunter

Postby roastman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:42 pm

Good luck Dan

I have never been bass fishing before, but it looks like a great species to target. I need to have a crack myself! I am sure some helpful people will give you some great tips (I will be reading with interest). I was primarily a saltwater boat fisho and had reasonable success, but have been disappointed so far in the kayak. My technique with plastics clearly sucks!
roastman
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Postby Dan OM » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:55 pm

Thanks i will be needing all the luck i can get
I have spent most my time fishing in New Zealand from the beach or the rocks, never in a river so this is a whole new ball game to me
Never really used lures or plastics. On my last trip I managed to foul hook a 50cm Mullet on a soft plastic so I am now on the board was an awesome fight for my first yak and plastic fish. Chasing Bass again this weekend so will let ypu lnow how i go
Dan OM
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Ipswich
Kayaks: Dragon Pro Fisher

Postby Alan79 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Dan OM wrote:Thanks i will be needing all the luck i can get
I have spent most my time fishing in New Zealand from the beach or the rocks, never in a river so this is a whole new ball game to me
Never really used lures or plastics. On my last trip I managed to foul hook a 50cm Mullet on a soft plastic so I am now on the board was an awesome fight for my first yak and plastic fish. Chasing Bass again this weekend so will let ypu lnow how i go

Hi Dan. I haven't fished for Bass in a long time. But I did catch a few from a canoe many years ago. I was using smallish Rapala lures that looked like rainbow trout with a bit of success. I still have a couple of the lures and they're a floating variety and reasonably shallow diving. So if you are using soft plastics maybe try and keep them high in the water column. I'm no expert with bass so my advice might not be particularly great.

As far as plastics go, I own about 5 different varieties which I've tried very hard with but never caught a thing on them. I haven't given up on them yet though and I'm sure persistence will eventually land me a fish on plastics. Good luck with the Bass hunt and have fun.
PB Fresh water 115cm longfin Eel, 71cm Eastern Cod, 53cm FW catfish, 42cm Redfin, 25cm Brown trout, 20cm Yellowbelly.
PB Saltwater 96cm shovel nose shark, 45cm Flathead, 42cm stingray
Alan79
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: New England & Northern Tablelands
Kayaks: Glide sit on top

Postby Cubits » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:24 am

Hey Dan.

College's is my childhood local, i used to fish from the mt crosby weir down to kookaburra park, usually fly fishing or hardbodies. I've caught bass, yellowbelly, mullet, flathead, bream, gar, eels, lungfish, catties, and a few sharks. It's a weird bit of water!

I'm actually taking a couple of friends down between college's and kookaburra park for bassing on thursday morning. We'll be starting a bit late for surface fishing, about 8:30am, but you're more than welcome to join.
Cubits
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Return to New Members