Hi guys - Hervey Bay

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and say "G'day".

Hi guys - Hervey Bay

Postby Frit » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:05 pm

Hello all in Kfdu land. Have been here a few months as I was looking to upgrade my yak. Have been fishing from a Viking Javlin, so storage was tight. Spent about 12 months looking to decide what I actually wanted and really needed. Then found that my tight budget wouldn't allow any of them. Most importantly was a really seaworthy craft as the bay chop here can be pretty nasty. Good speed would be nice, and reasonable stability. I can only afford one yak, so it's got to do a bit of everything. After settling on something and being prepared to wait to find a good one secondhand, I came across a Kaskazi Dorado at a really good price. Exactly what I was looking for , but had discounted them as I could never afford it. Score. A few years old but in great condition. I'm not real big so fit in the seat comfortably, and we don't have real surf launches here so happy with the shorter fish hatch. Love the way it paddles. It's pretty much my ideal yak.
003 (Small).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frit
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Hervey Bay
Kayaks: Kaskazi Dorado

Re: Hi guys - Hervey Bay

Postby Frit » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:50 am

012 (Small) (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frit
KFDU Angler

Postby Ditto1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi Frit

Welcome to the KFDU. How is Hervey bay fishing these days? How stable are those Kaskazi Dorado? Any ways look around, ask questions and more importantly share your fishing stories.
Ditto1
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: 4m Dream Kayak

Postby Frit » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks Ditto, most of the time you have to specialize and work fairly well for your fish here these days. The days of a huge biomass of marine life are unfortunately gone, but still a great place to be. Most of the boaties travel a long way these days, but there's always good numbers of whiting and flathead around. Lots of tuna and mackerel starting to get around, so if the weather is ok they'll be within distance of a yak. I'm loving the stability of the Dorado. My old Javlin was the same width, but this is lots more stable, mostly because of the deeper sitting position. I've paddled quite a bit over the years, mainly on cheap stuff, but these days I only get out about once a month so I'm not really paddle fit. I can just jump in the Dorado and go with no worries. Really enjoying going through the back posts on here. Lots of great info and ideas. I was so taken with Arpies fish measure that I found the how to post and made one. :[]:
Frit
KFDU Angler

Return to New Members