1st yak new member

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and say "G'day".

1st yak new member

Postby rds_929 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:15 pm

hey guys just picked up my first yak , went with the scorpio terminator 10 was also looking at the 13,12 and 14 aswell but went with the 10 for the price and size and ease of use for loading and unloading off the car. can't wait to get it all set up and get out fishing was thinking of either heading to patterson lakes or mt martha for my first sessions. any tips or advice or good locations to start for beginners would be much appreciated thanks guys
rds_929
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: VIC

Re: 1st yak new member

Postby arpie » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:46 am

Welcome, mate ... lots of info here to help you get set up for great yak fishing! Don't forget your life jacket! :wink:

Wherever you fish - if you cast towards structure (jetties, boats, rocky outcrops, edge of weed beds & sand, drop-offs etc) you should hook fish. Fast retrieve will usually get you flatties (SPs and Diving lures) slow retrieve should get you bream & flatties & other species.

Only use as small a jig head as you need to get the SP to fall 'softly' thru the water - you don't want a CLUNK! :wink:

If you work on a particular species (rather than going for 'whatever' ...) you will pretty quickly work out where they like to 'live' & what they like to eat!! :gu: I did a bit of a write up on Bream a while back ..... you can check it out here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34596

If you want to target flatties, bass, snapper & more bream tactics, check these threads out! :grin:
viewforum.php?f=64

Good luck - looking forward to your reports!

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: 1st yak new member

Postby FishnDive » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:20 pm

rds_929 wrote:hey guys just picked up my first yak , went with the scorpio terminator 10 was also looking at the 13,12 and 14 aswell but went with the 10 for the price and size and ease of use for loading and unloading off the car. can't wait to get it all set up and get out fishing was thinking of either heading to patterson lakes or mt martha for my first sessions. any tips or advice or good locations to start for beginners would be much appreciated thanks guys

Welcome aboard mate, lots of great fishing spots for beginners in both bays and even if it is windy the rivers and lakes make a good option if you are willing to drive and don't mind fishing the fresh every now and again.
Make sure you can do re-entries from deep water before you head out in the bay, the weather changes pretty quickly there - offshore breezes make the bay look like glass but you get blown away from your launch and have to paddle back into a headwind to get back. I'd recommend only heading out if it is under 10knts on the bay until you build up your paddle fitness and get to know what your yak can handle.
The Patto is a great beginner spot, nice and sheltered and there are plenty of bream you can try casting a micro vibe around the edges of the jetties and you should be able to find them.
Another good beginner spot is Sandringham harbour, you can fish along the breakwall and be in the lee for most winds you can also have a play in the waves at the end of the break wall once you get more confident.
Mornignton and Mt Martha are good areas for squid and for pinkies without having to travel too far but it would be bumpy down there today with a 15-20knt onshore wind,

Victorian dealer for Stealth Performance Products & Lockrack
FishnDive
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Philip Bay, Western Port, Vic
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 460 Toura 17 Pinnacle Elite

Return to New Members