1st Yak & new to baitcasters

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and say "G'day".
Yakattak
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: NextGen9

1st Yak & new to baitcasters

#1 Post by Yakattak » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:17 pm

Hey All,

Picked up my 1st Yak late last year ( Next Gen 9 ) She's a stubby little 2.8M that fits in the back of the van so I don't have to load onto the roof.

I also recently picked up a bait caster. And after a fair bit of frustration am starting to get the hang of it...... Still no fish though :cry:

Im looking at getting a spinning reel as well for the really small sp's & lures, I'd appreciate any suggestions on rod & reel size and whether to go for braid or mono??

And most importantly where to catch em? Not really targeting any species in particular. Just wanna start getting some bites. I am often around middle harbour, Pittwater, the lower hawksburry and even Narrabeen lake for work so pretty keen to wet a line before or after work.
I would really appreciate any fishing tips( SP's & lures only ) and productive spots that anyone is willing to give up.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Ozzybass
KFDU 500 Club
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Native Watercraft Mariner 12.5

Re: 1st Yak & new to baitcasters

#2 Post by Ozzybass » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 pm

The best advice I can give you is to forget about the baitcaster if you're doing standard estuary yakfishing for bream, whiting, etc. You'll start fishing (& hopefully catching) much sooner using a light spin outfit for bream, whiting, flathead, trevally, tailor, salmon - all species you would expect to catch in the places you've mentioned. You'll be able to cast a much larger range of lure weights with a spin outfit than with a baitcaster. Its simply not possible to cast a 1/20th oz jighead with a small plastic for bream with a baitcaster. You can always get a second heavier spin outfit for jewfish & kingfish.

Yakattak
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: NextGen9

#3 Post by Yakattak » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks for the advice OB, I had a feeling someone was going to tell me to ditch the baitcaster.

I might still use it for trolling?!?! any advice on trolling in estuaries & creeks would be great.

Colin98
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Hobie Outback 2017, Hobie Revo 13 2015

#4 Post by Colin98 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Congrats!

1-3kg rods will be best to cast very light jigs/plastics. Matched with a 1000 size reel 4-6lb braid would see you flicking all day with minimal effort. If your interested I may have a spare 1-3kg that I may be willing to part with.
===================================================================================
Yak PB's: -- Bream 45cm -- Estuary Perch 37cm -- Flathead 86cm -- Jewfish 93cm -- Salmon 55cm -- Trevally 40cm -- Whiting 41cm -- Bass 33cm - - Silver Perch 35cm - - Yellow Belly 35cm - - Murray Cod 52cm -- Kingfish 60cm
===================================================================================

Return to “New Members”