Hello from Rocky

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and say "G'day".

Hello from Rocky

Postby HoverDog » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:57 pm

G-day yakers, I'm from Alton Downs which is just west of Rocky. At the enf of my road I have the Fitzroy river, on the fresh side but I've been warned to be aware of the lizards. I'm originally from Darwin so any water way that doesn't have visible crocs sunning themselves every 2m seems pretty croc free to me, so I'll take any advice about the mighty Fitzroy.
HoverDog
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton
Kayaks: El cheapo kayak2fish

Re: Hello from Rocky

Postby XDCammer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:38 pm

Hi mate welcome to the site. Looking forward to your reports and your general chit chat in your surrounds.

Again, welcome.

BobbyB.
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.
XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

Postby HoverDog » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks Cammer, I'm new to the whole kayaking thing but I already love it.
HoverDog
KFDU Angler

Postby Ads22 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:53 pm

G'day officially HD. I haven't yakked the fresh Fitzroy but wouldn't be too worried in the lower part. There are stacks of lizards closer to Glenroy crossing and beyond.

I try to get out each week but the weather of late hasn't been kind when I've been free. Trying to make the best of the situatuon, though.

Hopefully catch you for a fish at some stage.

Cheers,

Adam
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby HoverDog » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:56 pm

It's just so tempting with the boat ramp down south yamba rd. Definitely be putting in on the town side of the barage and woolwash. Been up waterpark creek with a few work mates but not to fish.
HoverDog
KFDU Angler

Postby Ads22 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:25 pm

HoverDog wrote:It's just so tempting with the boat ramp down south yamba rd. Definitely be putting in on the town side of the barage and woolwash. Been up waterpark creek with a few work mates but not to fish.

Gets pretty thick with weed in at Deep Creek there at times. Also know a few people along that stretch of road and they know there are crocs in that stretch of river. They were well aware of a massive one around the Deep Creek/Fitzroy area. They suspect it may have been the one recently shot and all over the news. Could well be newbies getting around. I haven't ventured into there as yet. Maybe one day.

Woolwash/Frogmore is a handy little paddle, though. Lucked out today with probably my best session yet. Bit of weed and lilies to get through when paddling between Woolwash and Frogmore. Probably did 9-10km today with three laps of a stretch trolling/drifting and casting.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Return to New Members