Snapper on the fly

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

Snapper on the fly

Postby windy_kid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Snuck out in the arvo last week to my secret snapper spot to have a cast with the fly rod. I've caught plenty of snapper in the same spot with plastics but I wanted to try and get one on the fly.

I was on mum's stand up paddle board which I find easier to cast from because there is nothing to get the fly line caught on(it's sort of like a kayak, right?). Got out to the spot and started casting up current and letting the fly drift down slowly to the bottom at about 4-5 meters where I thought the fish would be holding. I probably don't have the right line for fishing this depth, it's just a floating one, so I left it for a bit longer so it could get to the bottom all the while keeping in touch with the line and giving a few twitches.

After doing this for about 20 min I got a hit and was able to set the hook. At first I thought it was a small bream because he kept on swimming towards me and couldn't keep the line tight. After he got close to the surface he took a bit of line.
I was super stoked on getting my first snapper on the fly, 36cm. Not massive by any means but it's a start. I know there are bigger ones out there.

1040152.jpg

I got another hit after that but it was as I was putting the rod down to paddle back to reposition myself and I didn't set the hook. Oh well, next time :smi:

Has anyone else had any experience targeting snapper on fly?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windy_kid
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bayside

Re: Snapper on the fly

Postby Jamie D » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Fly fishing from a paddle board and getting snapper, I'm impressed , great methods and capture
Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

Postby windy_kid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Jamie D wrote:Fly fishing from a paddle board and getting snapper, I'm impressed , great methods and capture

Haha, thanks. I started out fishing from the paddle board last year. That was in winter though, when there was no wind. Any wind above 3 or 4kts and it's a rubbish way to fish. It is a really quick way to get on the water because I can carry everything from my front yard to the water. Still can't beat the kayak for an allround fishing platform.
windy_kid
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bayside

Postby arpie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Woohoo!! Awesome!! OMG! From a Paddle Board,too!! Some people are actually setting up their Paddle Boards as dedicated fishing platforms - I reckon I'd find myself IN the water more often than on it! :lol:

Well done on your first snapper!! That is terrific!

Have you ever watched Big Angry Fish (the NZ dudes who hook mega snapper & kingies on bait, lures & fly ....) They have caught some massive snapper on fly in quite shallow water in the bays of northern NZ. Check 'em out when they are on TV again

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby justforfun » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:34 pm

Well done keep up the good work .cheers Justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Postby Freewily » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:16 pm

Well done. I have wanted to get my fly rod out offshore but haven't yet. Should do it soon as I have the gear for it. :grin:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Return to Fly Fishing