Flyday at Forster (Thursday actually)

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

Flyday at Forster (Thursday actually)

Postby Rodney W » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:40 am

IPhones have multiple uses, some practical such as the alarm to wake you to go fishing.

Leaving my dream of landing a 45cm Bass I eagerly jumped out of bed looking forward to the day ahead. I had arranged to meet Roberta at X spot (hot hot she said) in the Forster locality for a day chasing Bream on surface fly. We had been trying to tee up trip for several months however the weather was against us. A quick coffee and a bite of breakfast serial got me leaving Muswellbrook about 4.30am for a 7.30 meet up. The mining traffic at that hour is horrendous and there was hardly a break until I turned off the freeway just past Maitland. The lack of traffic from then on was appreciated and I arrived on time.

As I arrived Roberta was already on the water casting her home made popper which she assured me was dynamite on Bream.Quickly unloading the Hobie I was soon joining her on the water. She then gave me a quick rundown on where we would be fishing and the type of weed we would find Bream in. And we found plenty of this weed during the day.

I would love to say that we caught heaps in the combined 13 hours we were on the water but I would be more than stretching the truth. We worked the weed and the sandy spots and must have raised between us at least 50 Bream (no exaggeration here ) however only 1 was hooked and lost (sorry Roberta).They became the fish of a thousand casts. I have no explanation of why they were playing with the flies. Short takes were considered along with grabbing and releasing the fly. We tried all types of strips including Bass style and slow Trout retrieves to no avail.They were just not playing.

Some have given up the fly because "it is too hard" but that is a defeatist attitude. Nothing is impossible, some things just take a little longer to achieve. I like Walt Disney's philosophy applied to Fly Fishing - Dream, Believe, Do , Achieve. That is certainly what we were trying to do and failing is only part of the learning curve.

Incidentally I was using the new Flymen Double Barrel Popper with a small bunny hair white tail and a splash of red hackle. Also used one of Roberta's poppers.

At the end of the day (yesterday) I bade Roberta farewell and due to our lack of success only paid her half her guiding fee. Ha Ha ! Sorry there are no Grip and Grin photos .

Incidentally Flyday came about some time ago when I asked my wife what day it was with me saying it was Flyday, the day I received my weekly Midcurrent newsletter which includes a fly tying video.She misheard me and argued and then realised what i was saying. Every Thursday I now call Flyday.
Rodney W
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Muswellbrook Glenbawn Dam and Glennies Creek Dam
Kayaks: Hobie Outfitter

Re: Flyday at Forster (Thursday actually)

Postby arpie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:44 pm

Thanks, Rod, for making that huge effort to come over to Forster to fish 'my spot' for bream on fly (on Flyday! LOL) Someone forgot to tell the bream to arrive as well!!

As you said, we had lots of 'bloops' - some with multiple attempts to get the fly - but just couldn't find the hook! :roll: NOTHING is more frustrating than THAT!! Oh, wait a minute - when a fish is hitting at a Pencil or Popper & keep missing the hooks - that is pretty frustrating as well!! :?: I had one 'hooked' but couldn't strip the line in fast enough to set the hook & it got off ..... another one made a last minute grab at the hook & ALMOST hooked itself, but not quite ..... some of the bloops were quite aggressive - but they just pushed the fly away, instead of hooking it ..... so many reasons that contributed to the lack of hookups ...... we'll just have to try again another day, I reckon!! :gu:

It certainly wasn't for lack of trying .... we both put in a cast of thousands ...... and I was initially quite optimistic of hits & hookups, as I had a couple of nice bloops in the shallows quite early on - also some off the couple of bits of structure there as well. :?: And we DIDN'T give up ..... casting right til the end ......

hahaha .....due to our lack of success only paid her half her guiding fee...... half of nothing is still nothing ..... :lol: :lol:

Tho I MUST admit, that heading back to the cars, I started throwing a pencil around to see if there were ANY fish interested in taking it - cos I've landed whiting on topwater there before .... and it was probably 50 casts before I got the one bloop that ended up in one bream being landed ..... and not a very big one at that! :lol: Here's an arty farty shot of it! :lek:
P4200005.jpg

Fingers crossed we do better next time!! :lol:

cheers

Roberta

My wrist was quite sore after all that casting ...... :idiot: Fishing is designed to keep you humble, I reckon - just when you think you've got it 'sorted' - you donut! :blah:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby justforfun » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:14 pm

Sounds like it was a very frustrating day it can be like that at times but that is what makes the good days so good did you get the right day ? .cheers Justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Postby Rodney W » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:29 am

Noel the day itself was perfect with little breeze. Got to use the paddle but not the measure.Its going to be a handy tool. Hope your brother liked the flies.

It was a good learning experience. I spoke to a saltwater fly fishing geru over the weekend about the number of hits without hookup and he put forward a plausible explanation and suggested flies that may solve the problem. I will tie some up for my next trip to the salt. No doubt some will find their way into other fly boxes as usual.

Rod
Rodney W
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Muswellbrook Glenbawn Dam and Glennies Creek Dam
Kayaks: Hobie Outfitter

Return to Fly Fishing