Salmon

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

Salmon

Postby Rodney W » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:19 am

I'm a bit slow in posting this but a week ago went to Swansea to haqve a crack at the Salmon on fly. Whilst not fishing out of a kayak, there was i chap on the water in a yak briefly until we mentioned that there were a couple of Bronze Whalers also enjoying the salmon fishing.

A lot of fly fishermen (and women ) consider the ultimate fish to be Bonefish however they may not have experienced the humble Salmon.The initial take is somewhat of a suprise as it is gentle however when it realises its freedom to swim has been restricted it implodes and thus begins a tussle where no quarter is given fot the next 10 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the fish in the fight.Getting the fish to the boat occurs on numerous occasions however this only results in further runs that cause pain to knuckles and anything else that gets in the road of the fast whirring reel. Also in the struggle the salmon often head under the boat which causes plenty of movement within the boat as you push your fishing partner to other parts of the boat as you make sure your line doesn't get caught in the motor or bow of the boat or electric.Eventually you manage to get the fish to the surface and netted which results in a feeling of extreme satisfaction and high fives. Awesome.

Anyway I managed a 66cm 8 lb and 64cm 6 lb duo and a little suprise packet 42 cm Flattie. The fish were caught on a Chatreuse and White tube Clouser in a small size with stick on eyes. Sorry I don't have a pic of the fly to show you because I gave them all away to mates.Will be tying some more up for another trip shortly.

We went out the next day and there were huge schools that were not interested. You would cast to a school and on seeing the line in the air they would part. Interesting fish.

I apologise for no photo. Have one on my IPhone which I emailed to myself, put into Elements, downsized to KFDU requirements and tried to upload without success. Any suggestions?

Going again next week so hopefully will get a couple more. Will take a real camera this time.

Rod
Rodney W
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Muswellbrook Glenbawn Dam and Glennies Creek Dam
Kayaks: Hobie Outfitter

Re: Salmon

Postby arpie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:21 pm

Terrific fun, Rod! I've never hooked one here in Wallis Lake ..... I wish they were here tho - getting sick of the Trevally taking over!! :roll:

Email the pic to me & I'll see if I can sort it out for the post.

The current runs pretty fierce there as well, so could be dodgy for the yak ...... let me know when you come over this way next ...... I should be able to put you onto some trevally which would go great guns on fly!! :beye:

cheerio

Roberta

Here it is - that is one VERY decent salmon, Rod!! Well done!
Rod & Salmon on fly.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby Rodney W » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:34 am

Thanks for posting my photo Roberta.

Would love to have a crack at the Trevalley on fly. Will pm you when coming over.

Rod
Rodney W
KFDU Angler

Postby lantana » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:36 pm

you must be happy with that Salmon on fly, nice one Rod, well done mate
Lantana.
lantana
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Postby Rodney W » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:24 am

Thanks Lantana. They are a hard fighting fish.

Rod
Rodney W
KFDU Angler

Return to Fly Fishing