Lake Wyaralong fly fishing

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

Lake Wyaralong fly fishing

Postby Bwak » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:26 pm

Hey guys
Have heard that lake Wyaralong is good for fly fishing for carp. I am keen to give it a try soon. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience fishing there and fly fishing for carp in general.
I have never targeted carp and would love to know anything about flies needed and weather its best there from a kayak or land based.
Thanks
Bwak
Bwak
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast

Re: Lake Wyaralong fly fishing

Postby hillbilly » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:38 pm

I gave it a go a year or so ago there out of the kayak and with another fly fishing mate also in a kayak but we both caught nothing. I have heard of a few people catching them on fly there but the flies they used and the locations in the dam were are a little sketchy. We used a few different flies and burleyed up with bread. I may give it a go there again some time in the future as it is a species that is supposed to go very hard on fly. A fellow from another club gave a presentation at one of our fly casting nights and it certainly convinced me to try it again. He sight fished for them though close to the bank in both dams and rivers. Bill
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Postby StevePeach » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Carp are a great fly target, but they are not easy, at least not in my experience. They can spook very easily in clear still water, so you need to be quite stealthy in approaching them. They feed on the bottom (unless you are berleying with bread). Popular flies seem to be wooly buggers or nymphs, with long light leaders fished very very slowly or completely still on the bottom right in front of the fish, and striking when it looks like they have taken it.

On bread flies they are much easier, if you can get through the ducks and geese!

They go pretty hard particularly with a strong initial run.

Good luck with it, they can be quite challenging to catch but certainly a worthy species on fly.
StevePeach
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney Harbour, Pittwater, Hawkesbury, Central Tablelands

Postby Bwak » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:53 am

Cheers guys
Think I will give it a look soon. I like the idea of shore based Polaroiding them. I use to live in tassie and all we did was Polaroiding the shallows in the western lakes for trout. So will grab some of my trout woolly buggers and nymphs and give it a crack soon.
Andy
Bwak
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast

Return to Fly Fishing