pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Fly Rod - What Weight?

#1 Post by pdfarrell » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:49 pm

Gday all,

Getting close to having a crack at this fly fishing caper. :roll:
Looking for something versatile that I can use for common estuary species and impoundment bass.

6wt or 8wt?

Looking at starting out with one of these...
https://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/pro ... ington_415

Any and all advice welcomed... treat me like I know nothing (which is correct)..

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Fly Rod - What Weight?

#2 Post by arpie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi paul

WOOHOO! Welcome to the dark side!! Then you'll have to start tying flies too! :lek:

First off, make sure you get a salt water Fly Rod (that one doesn't have the fighting butt - so assume it is a fresh water rod) - they usually have a small 'fighting butt' on them, so are built to withstand salt. A regular flyrod (with NO butt) is predominantly for fresh water.

Likewise, get a saltwater reel too - they will last much longer than any freshwater ones that will corrode in the salt. My first salt water fly rod is a TVO BVK 7 wt. It is nice - but the 6 wt is a little lighter & I should be able to cast with it all day! The 'heavier wt' = harder work!

If you are planning more on bream & flatties & bass - I reckon a 7 or 8 would be all you would have to go for - and that would also deal with some bigger fish as well, if you hook one. I've just bought a 6wt TFO Mangrove - and am running my 7wt line on it - haven't used it yet but will be doing so soon!

I reckon you could get away with just a floating line & get a set of Rio Sinking tips - this allows you to turn the floating line into a 'sinking line' without having to take the whole spool off - you just remove the tippet & put the on the sinking line tip (with loops both ends) and replace the tippet. The sinking line tips come in a little pocket that holds 2-4 lines at different sink rate.

I would recommend that you get a couple of lessons initially with a professional - to prevent the learning of bad habits from anyone else just 'showing you'! Then, it is a matter of practise, practise, practise!! Get out on a field & just cast, cast, cast! When the casting rhythm finally 'clicks' - it all becomes so much easier!!

Looking forward to hearing your report when you get your first bream!! My first bream was a whopper!!! In water just a few feet deep .... right on the edge of a tree line (lucky I didn't hook the leaves!) BAM! I was on!!
http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=49376

Don't give up - a fish on fly = 100 on lure!! :wink:

cheerio

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

RWD
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: GlenbawnDam, Hunter River, Glennies Creek Dam
Kayaks: Howie Outfitter

#3 Post by RWD » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:36 pm

Paul a 6 wt would be fine however I would ask whether you were going to use it most of the time out of the Kayak. If this is so I would be looking at a 7ft 11ins rod. It is an easier length to cast with and land fish from the yak.There are several brands making this length. I use this length rod for all my land based and yak fishing for bass and salt.Buy a decent rod as you will not, as many others have done, pusue this form of fishing with a crap rod.

Roberta's advise re getting casting instructions from a certified instructor is sound however don't try and cast like he/she otherwise you will become a poor casting he/she. Take onboard the principles of casting and then work them to your needs. After all you will not have the same physical attributes of your instructor. Personally I think you cant go wrong googling up Lefty Kreh casting and copying his method. I have a video of his that I can drop into you that will set you straight.

Re lines you will only need initially an Intermediate for salt and bass.
If I can be of any help let me know.

Rod

Bwak
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast

#4 Post by Bwak » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:08 pm

Go the 8 weight if your into throwing large wind resistant poppers. But a 6 weight will be better when you need to have better fly presentation for touchy bream. Might need both :lol:

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

#5 Post by pdfarrell » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Thanks guys,

I've ended up with an 8wt. Have had a few casts in the backyard and have been able to to get the leader
to roll out straight. Going to jump in the deep end and throw some surface flies for bass at St Clair this weekend. Not sure what I'll do apart from shit myself if I get a hit. ,Lol

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of

cwsco
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: fraser coast
Kayaks: hobie revolution 13 native watercraft slayer 13

#6 Post by cwsco » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:22 pm

good luck with it, becomes veryyyyyy addictive!
Pbs flathead 73cm bream 42cm whiting 40cm grunter 48cm mulloway 80cm spotty mack 80cm cod 45 cm

Return to “Fly Fishing”