Maroon Dam in Winter.

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Maroon Dam in Winter.

#1 Post by hillbilly » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:52 pm

I had a few hours of fly fishing out of the kayak at Maroon Dam on Thursday afternoon and then again early morning and late afternoon on Friday. Boy it was quite cold there at those times. Caught a few Bass but my largest was a PB for me on fly at that dam. It went 44 cm on the lie detector. Managed another one at 40 cm which also put up a great fight on my 7 wt rod. By the way that's not big flys in my hair I was just having a bad hair day.
Maroon 1.JPG
Maroon 2.JPG
Maroon 3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

Brendon
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

Re: Maroon Dam in Winter.

#2 Post by Brendon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Looks a lovely spot to fish and some nice Bass as well .We are currently battling in WA to get a handful of damns that are no longer used for domestic water supply stocked with Aussie natives .
Thanks for sharing
Brendon
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !

cwsco
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: fraser coast
Kayaks: hobie revolution 13 native watercraft slayer 13

#3 Post by cwsco » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:31 pm

well done , good fish on the long wand
Pbs flathead 73cm bream 42cm whiting 40cm grunter 48cm mulloway 80cm spotty mack 80cm cod 45 cm

lantana
KFDU 500 Club

#4 Post by lantana » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:52 pm

nice bass on fly, I use a 7wt rod too
Lantana.

Cubits
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

#5 Post by Cubits » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:21 pm

I cracked out the ol' fly rod on saturday to do the same, but yeesh it's been a while! I need to build some new leaders to turn over the big flies.

Are you getting them shallow or sinking to get the schooled bass? I was only getting little ones out of the lilies, couldn't reach the schools. I imagine a mid 40s would go so hard on a fly rod!

hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

#6 Post by hillbilly » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:20 am

I caught four Bass and one large Spangled Perch out of the kayak but can't give you an exact depth as I didn't have my sounder with me. Those fish were relatively close to the lilies and probably in about fifteen to twenty five feet of water but it was early morning and late afternoon when I kayak fished and it is usual for some fish move out of the deeper water. A mate of mine turned up with his boat early on Saturday morning so I fished with him. We caught on fly quite a few schooled up Bass in various places using full sink line (6 inches per second) in about twenty-five to forty feet of water but most were small eg.15 cm to 30 cm??? (didn't measure any of these). Normally a 7 wt fly rod is sufficient for Maroon dam as the fish are slow growing due to having a different diet. However if they bury you in the submerged weeds they can be quite difficult to pull out, particularly in the kayak. Sometimes you have to try and grab the fly line or leader to get that extra purchase to get the fish up. All dams are different so large dams like Somerset and Wivenhoe require stronger rods and bigger flies than Maroon Dam does.
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

Return to “Fly Fishing”