Airlie beach on fly

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.
SNAIL
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: New South Wales

Airlie beach on fly

#1 Post by SNAIL » Fri May 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Visited airlie beach last week for our honeymoon and I thought I would book myself in to a fly guide to learn how to fish the flats. So I called Andy Thomsen aka andys fishing on YouTube to get me away from my new wife for a day. Hahaha.
From the minute he picked me up he was telling me great tips on how things work on the flats and didn't stop with all the info till he dropped me off.
First up we stopped at a spot I thought that wouldn't have any decent size fish. within 2 min we found a school of mullet getting eaten by a queen fish that was well over a meter long. This fish was moving so fast b4 I could get my fly in the water he swam right under the boat and took off to the deep.
2nd spot we stopped was looking great other than the wind picked up and was going to test my casting skills. Andy told me that this is a great spot for Tuskfish and I need to be careful with the extra line that's pulled off the spool as they run like freight trains. With 2 fish hitting my fly so hard and I wasn't holding the line tight enough to set the hook it was 2-0 for the fish. Andy sat me down and calmed my nerves and refreshed on what im not doing.
30 minutes later without spotting a single fish my hopes were tumbling down. Next minute 3 Tuskfish right in front of the boat so with no hesitation i lobbed the fly 2m to the left of the smaller one as the other 2 fish would of been out of reach cause of the wind. As soon as the fly hit the floor he turned swam straight to it and engulfed it. So this time it set the hook right and Bam off he went. After a long fight I got my first fish in the boat.

After a quick photo and release we noticed the 2 other fish had come back in casting range but this time I could reach the bigger of the 2. So the very next cast im on again and almost got my foot tangled with the line on the deck. lucky andy was on the ball and pulled it out from under me. This fish had a lot more weight and i was struggling to get it in. After 10 or so minutes i was 2-2.

After all the hype of the Tuskfish Andy asks me if I've ever caught tarpon. Which I haven't so off to a new spot and luckily this time we were out of the wind and we got right into them. They weren't monsters by any means but all the jumping and weaving through the mangroves was unbelievable. We had hundreds of hit and miss and I quickly learnt they are one of the hardest fish to set a hook in.

Then the 3rd part of the day we took off and found a small shallow reef of around 3 meters. we landed a couple of coral trout which were tiny so straight back in and b4 I knew it time was up and had to head back home.
BUT WAIT there is part 4 of this day.
Andy seen in the distance what looked like a small reef to me and andy says there is no reef there so we slowly got there hoping they were a school of fish. Next thing andy yells out Milk fish, Milk fish. So I got pumped up and ready but he says he doesn't have a fly for these vegetarian fish. I didn't care about the fly when I was watching them stick there mouths out of the water so I tossed out the prawn pattern fly and out comes this beast of a fish that looked different and inhales the fly and shoots off. First run was a good 120 meters plus. So we start chasing the fish and and all the guessing on what it is 20 so minutes later I landed my first northern bluefin tuna (long tail ) at 88cm and roughly 8kg no body could wipe the smile off my big boof head.
Knowing that it might be my last days fishing for the year as I just had my shoulder operation last night.

So hopefully I have a quick recovery and want to go back up there and see my new fishing buddy andy and do it all over again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Airlie beach on fly

#2 Post by arpie » Fri May 27, 2016 10:11 pm

WOW!!! Just WOW!! Well done!! Hope you're still married! :wink:

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#3 Post by Ads22 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:08 pm

Oh fantastic. That's awesome. Did he video it for his channel? Are you going to be a YouTube star?

Years ago, I fished on my honeymoon, too. Caught my first mackerel, off the beach. I'm sure your wife was happy seeing you with a huge smile when you got home.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

#4 Post by hillbilly » Sat May 28, 2016 6:33 am

A very enjoyable read, You've got to be happy with that mix of fly caught species. Congratulations.
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

SNAIL
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by SNAIL » Sat May 28, 2016 7:38 am

Yeah I'm still married hahaha.
Andy said that he doesn't film when he guides so I won't be a YouTube star but I would of loved to. He only films with friends or when his alone. he did film a bit of the action on my phone but don't know how to upload it on here.
It was great to go out and learn how to fish the flats on fly catching them was a bonus. So now once I recover from the operation im going to put all ive learnt and try to get a few species down my way.
Also my lovely wife knows me too well and was more than happy to see me come home with a smile on my face. She knows how much I love fishing. :grin: :grin:

4weightfanatic
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: water
Kayaks: Australis Bass

#6 Post by 4weightfanatic » Sat May 28, 2016 8:29 am

Very well done for a first timer on fly !! Many an experienced fly fisher have never had a chance at throwing a fly at a Tuskie and you land two on your first outing. Andy has a good reputation as a great guide and there's good proof but in saying that casting and catching is up to you so well done. Cheers Pat.
don't you see their bodies burning, desolate and full of yearning, dying of anticipation, choking from intoxication

SNAIL
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by SNAIL » Sat May 28, 2016 8:37 am

I've fished with the fly rod b4. For trout in rivers and lakes for bass out of the kayak. I also have tried to catch bream and whiting but no luck there. So now with the help of andy i think I might be a step closer to achieve that. He is a top guide and next time I'm up that way I will be hooking up with him for sure.

justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

#8 Post by justforfun » Sun May 29, 2016 9:18 am

very nice well done .cheers Justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm.silver trevally 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club

Umrik
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Newcastle, and the Hunter Valley
Kayaks: Mission Access 280

#9 Post by Umrik » Sun May 29, 2016 12:28 pm

Solid effort! Maybe there is hope for my future honeymoon to include some fishing.
#onthetrailoutdoors

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

#10 Post by Freewily » Sun May 29, 2016 8:08 pm

Whoa! :lek: Nice fish. And well done on fly. Especially the Tuna. :lek: It must have been fun on hook up & run. :grin: Happy Anniversary. :lol: You wont forget it. :grin: Look after each other.
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!

SNAIL
KFDU Angler

#11 Post by SNAIL » Mon May 30, 2016 7:54 pm

Cheers guy's.

Return to “Fly Fishing”