another long wand session at the dam

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

another long wand session at the dam

Postby justforfun » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:47 pm

After scoring a donut a few weeks ago at the dam I decided to try a different spot away from where boats and kayaks can get to. this involves a fair walk in and some difficult terrain to reach the area I wanted to concentrate on, and with the wet windy conditions I was hoping the weed beds had broken up giving me access to some deep water close to the bank.On arriving at the waters edge conditions were good but the weed beds had not broken up completely but there were openings in the weed beds . Fishing the holes and runs in this remote area I had High hopes of a few fish but alas after 6 hours I admitted defeat and walked out. I think the weed beds breaking up and decaying had de-oxygenated the water and the bass had vacated the edges. Talking to other like minded fly fishers later in the day we came to a concenus that the fish had left the area of the weed beds .Finding an area with no weed beds just before dark a few of us tried our luck again and we fished into the night with a few bass caught by the others and I eventually managed to entice a bite and land a nice golden which was a surprise when I turned my head lamp on ,so the epic has another species on board and I avoided another donut.cheers Justforfun
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by justforfun on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm.silver trevally 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Re: another long wand session at the dam

Postby Crok » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:28 pm

Well done Noel sorry about the 6 hours.
cheers
Crok
Yak PB: Whiting 40cm, Bream 39cm, Flathead 75cm, Salmon 49cm,Gold Spot Cod 38cm, Bass 54cm :-), Snapper 35cm, Tailor 47cm, Yellow Belly 53cm, Murray Cod 53cm.
Member of
Crok
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Port Stephens, Hunter River.
Kayaks: Hobie Revolution 13

Postby Umrik » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:39 pm

Mate, How good is that golden perch! Love your work.
#onthetrailoutdoors
Umrik
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle, and the Hunter Valley
Kayaks: Mission Access 280

Postby hillbilly » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:47 pm

Well done. I've caught lots of Bass on fly but a Yellowbelly hasn't yet been achieved even though most of my fly fishing has been in dams so I am jealous. With regards to Bass in dams, most of the Bass up here are now schooling up and thinking of a trip to the salt to spawn which of course they can't do so they can be anywhere in the dam including the very middle and it changes all the time. They are fat and full of roe. Get out in your kayak and find a school with your sounder. You will need either a fast sinking intermediate or a full sink line to get to their schooling depth which is usually around the 20 to 30 foot mark. Oh by the way finding a school of what you think are Bass doesn't always guarantee that they will always bite. Regards Bill
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Postby justforfun » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks Crok
Cheers Umrik
thanks for that info Hillbilly the bass down here are doing the same but quiet a few stay around the steep drop-offs near the edges but the weed beds are late breaking up this year so I will be doing what you suggested .cheers Justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm.silver trevally 60cm
justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club

Postby arpie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:29 pm

Well done, Noel! Nice Yella!! What did it fall to? You don't hear of many Yellas falling to fly!@

That's a nice bass pic, too!

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby justforfun » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:19 pm

Thanks Arpie the fly used was a :wink: named after a local who came up with it and the bass went 41cm same as the yella.cheers Justforfun
justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Freewily » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:07 pm

Nice fish! And at 40cm, even nicer! Well done on missing the donut. :grin:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Return to Fly Fishing