Another Fly Species

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

Another Fly Species

Postby hillbilly » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:40 pm

This is not from my kayak but my new boat on its second trip.The first outing at Moogerah Dam resulted in a couple of Bass on fly so the boat had some mojo from the beginning. I hadn't been to Wivenhoe Dam since the Kayak Convention days run by Fitzy there so it's been a few years but my mate Les and I thought we just might find some schooling Bass there. We threw Bony Bream pattern flies for ages but just couldn't find any schooling fish and had no strikes whatsoever. As an afterthought I had thrown in a couple of flies other than the Bony Bream pattern and out of frustration put on a Purple Fly which soon after fooled a 51cm Saratoga. A while later I landed my first Yellowbelly on the same fly with the fish going 46.5cm. Very glad I put an E-Tec motor on the back of my boat as Wivenhoe now allows boats there with low fuel emission motors as long as you keep to a maximum 6 knot speed which is just fine. Very glad to see the water police out and about doing their job. Regards Bill
DSC02898.JPG
DSC02891.JPG
DSC02896.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Re: Another Fly Species

Postby Jamie D » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:01 pm

I like the quality of both Flies but the second black one especially looks really good , nice Sara to , thanks for the post mate
Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

Postby justforfun » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:13 am

Well done nice looking flies .cheers Justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Postby lantana » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi Bill, thanks for posting and give youself a pat on the back mate, getting a Sara on fly in winter is special, well done.
Lantana.
lantana
KFDU 500 Club

Postby ronaldo » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:42 pm

Only your second trip???? I thought you'd have worn it out by now :lol:

They're great looking flies and a couple of nice fish too, well done on the sara.

:bye:
Ron
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE.
IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.
ronaldo
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: coffs coast & beyond.....
Kayaks: WS Tarpon 120 - Mantra Noa - Hobie Revo 13

Postby hillbilly » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:46 am

Thanks for the replies. I've only ever caught one other Saratoga before on fly and that was on a popper fly using a floating line at Borumba. Although I tied the Bony Bream pattern, the dark purple one I think came as an extra with an order from "Trout Flies Australia" in Tasmania or it may have even been one I picked up from the "Tackle Wharehouse" in Brisbane. Anyway I'll do a search and get some more. It looks very much like a small Redclaw swimming backwards with the rubber extrusions moving in and out with each slow strip of the line. I was using a full sink line so it was a bit unusual to get the Saratoga down deep but it made sense for the Yellowbelly. Regards Bill
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Postby WayneD » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:29 pm

A Saratoga in Wivenhoe is a rather rare event. Well done I say!
Mantra Kayaks Pro-Staffer

Adventure Outlet supporter

Kayaks I have owned: Espri x 2, Nemo x 2, Tempo, Profish, Predator, Outback x 5, Revo x 2, Quest, Swing x 2, Adventure, Loon, Superlite x 6, Superlite X, Sprite, Noa x 2, Coosa, Tarpon 120, Acadia 370, Aspire 100, Mana x 2, Bass, Minnow2, Ultimate 12 Propel, Laker 14 x 2, Sierra 10
WayneD
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Any puddle will do
Kayaks: Lots

Postby Freewily » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:57 pm

Nice flys & catch. Good on you. :grin:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Return to Fly Fishing