Want to give fly fishing a go.

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

Want to give fly fishing a go.

Postby PA Pete » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:44 am

G'ay fellas, just a bit of info needed, [a] can a blackfish set up be used for fly fishing? [b] what sort of price am i looking at for a basic set up? [c] any other suggestions that i might need? Thank you in advance.
Cheers Pete.
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm
PA Pete
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

Re: Want to give fly fishing a go.

Postby cwsco » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:22 pm

Hi Pete
I started out with a gillies saltwater starter kit, 8 weight saltwater. The line was terrible tho, more suited to cooler climate .
I bought a better quality rio tropical line , more suited to where I live. The difference to cast was remarkable.
The starter kit did come with an instructional dvd by Pete Morse very helpful
Warning though, flyfishing is very addictive
Pbs flathead 73cm bream 42cm whiting 40cm grunter 48cm mulloway 80cm spotty mack 80cm cod 45 cm
cwsco
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: fraser coast
Kayaks: hobie revolution 13 native watercraft slayer 13

Postby RAD » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:45 pm

Hey Pete,

If you going to get into Fly fishing don't bother with the Black fish rod get your self a beginners rod and reel combo, as with anything you get what you pay for so if pay around the $200 mark you will be on your way, the Wildfish kits that are available are very good for the price. Look at an 8-9wt for where you live that will handle the majority of whats around up your depending what you chase.

Lastly get some casting lessons either from an instructor or someone that knows how to cast well and practice, this will help you immensely, once you get the hang of casting its like riding a bike.

Good luck I look forward to hearing how it all goes for you
See you on the water.
Rob
Mantra Kayaks Pro Staffer

RAD
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: A River between the Mary and the Tweed guess which one
Kayaks: Mantra Noa x 2. Mantra Mana

Postby simons rat » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:09 am

A beginners kit or a second hand one is a great way to get started.

When I started I did a lot of practice casting in the street and park. Great fun after work and the neighbours thought I was a bit loony.

enjoy,

S
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A little something else ....

Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BladeKayakTV
Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishfidler/sets/72157625258444623/
simons rat
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: brisbane

Postby PA Pete » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks for the advice fellas. A starter kit is the go. I live on 5 acres so practise won't be a problem. I'll post updates to keep you all informed, once again thanks for the help.
Cheers Pete.
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm
PA Pete
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

Return to Fly Fishing