First attempt at a Prawn style fly

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

First attempt at a Prawn style fly

Postby mjsurfing » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi all my first attempt at a prawn style fly. Also another Bass style fly.

Please let me know your thoughts and provide any feedback as I am self taught (off Youtube). Also any tips on how to properly use 'Solarez' UV Cure. The local flyshop sold me a bottle of 'Thick hard formula' the label is right it is pretty thick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mjsurfing
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: ACT

Re: First attempt at a Prawn style fly

Postby RAD » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:19 pm

Pop a bit of a tail out between the bead chain eyes and it will finish the prawn off nicely, if the fly rides hook point up and makes your prawn fly swim upside down then you can tie the bead chain eyes in on the underside of the hook to make it hook point down and therefore the prawn swims upright.
See you on the water.
Rob
Mantra Kayaks Pro Staffer

RAD
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: A River between the Mary and the Tweed guess which one
Kayaks: Mantra Noa x 2. Mantra Mana

Re: First attempt at a Prawn style fly

Postby mjsurfing » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:51 pm

Rad thanks for the comments. Next prawn I tie I will add the tail as suggested.

With the hook riding up I had intention of fishing the fly over sand flats etc so I thought it would be best to tie it this way as per Gotcha etc I didn't even think of the prawn looking as though it was swiming upside down. I guess this is a lesson learnt here. I will tie my next attempt as per your recomendation of the weight placed on the underside of the hook so it swims right side up.

I am getting a little bit addicted to this tying game giving me another excuse to spend hard erned money at the local shop.
mjsurfing
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: ACT

Return to Fly Fishing