Rio OutBound Short WF7 F/I

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

Rio OutBound Short WF7 F/I

Postby mjsurfing » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:58 pm

Hi all just a quick question.

I have just obtained the OutBound Short F/I fly line. I originally bought it to fish sub surface on the lakes and rivers for larger streamers for freshwater natives.

I was told that I could use this line to fish a surface fly as long as I started stripping straight away. Is this right.
mjsurfing
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: ACT

Re: Rio OutBound Short WF7 F/I

Postby adama » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:00 pm

I have that exact line and I use it for snag bashing for bass and yellow belly in the rivers and dams on a Sage bluegill rod. If the fly has enough buoyancy it would probably be ok for surface fishing, and it will certainly make them bloop louder. It is a great line for throwing big flies at snags!
Adam
adama
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Namoi
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

Postby RAD » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:03 pm

MJ

I am guessing it is the Sink tip version ? I have an Outbound short sink tip and use it on my TFO Mini Magnum only Sub surface for Bass using Vampires and my version of Bass Buggers and love it and will soon be investing in the floating version, you probably could do as you have been advised but I am of the let the ripples get all the way to the yak before starting my retrieve on surface flies so I have never tried it and just use a surface line for surface bugs.
See you on the water.
Rob
Mantra Kayaks Pro Staffer

RAD
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: A River between the Mary and the Tweed guess which one
Kayaks: Mantra Noa x 2. Mantra Mana

Postby mjsurfing » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:35 pm

Rad yes I guess it would be like a sink tip.

Just had a cast of the Outbound F/I in the park in horrible conditions blowing a gale but boy does it shoot out the running line. I'm away with work and only have my Orvis Recon 6wt with me and tried the Outbound 7wt F/I on it. I know that the Orvis is a fast action rod and I do find for my casting style it works best if I overline it.

I hope it works just as good on my G-Loomis 7wt Crosscurrent. If it is as good on the water as my initial cast on the grass and in the wind I will look at an Outbound full floating version.
mjsurfing
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: ACT

Return to Fly Fishing