NEARLY got my first bream on topwater fly!

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

NEARLY got my first bream on topwater fly!

Postby arpie » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:44 am

Yesterday, in the lead up to the Forster Fly Muster this weekend (starting this afternoon from about 4pm) I hit the water with Michelle in our yaks, with the full intent of catching a bream on fly!! I've only ever landed flatties up til now ...... so armed with my BVK 7wt fly rod & a 'topwater fly' ..... I started casting towards jetties & concrete walls in The Keys ....... I had a couple of bloops and then I hooked a rope, so lifted the rod to try & jiggle the fly off ... and the rope jiggled back!! OMG! Too late, I realised it was a bream - and it got off!!

After that, I got a HEAP of bloops & hits but the fish just couldn't find the hook!! :roll:

I also caught a weed encrusted bit of wood & a Rope 'Tie Down'! :beye:
PB170019.jpg

I even managed to get a Birds Nest on a Fly Reel!! Is that a first?? Somehow the 'drag knob' had loosened off! :?:
PB170020.jpg

SO ..... until next time ...... I know where to go to get the bloops - and hopefully a bream ..... or flattie ..... or whiting ...

cheers

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: NEARLY got my first bream on topwater fly!

Postby Bwak » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:32 pm

Nice work!
Next time the fish will hold. I haven't chased bream yet with the fly rod. It is on my to do list though.
What type of fly is that?
Bwak
Bwak
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast

Postby lantana » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:13 pm

Better luck next time Roberta, with a 7wt rod you wont be out gunned by a bream, i use 7wt for Saratoga, never had a birds nest with fly, would be pretty easy to get out i would think.
thanks for sharing
Lantana.
lantana
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Postby RAD » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Birds nest in your fly it sure does happen, its mainly a loose drag thing as you have found just don't let it happen if you are targeting speedsters like tuna it will end in tears, usually a broken line or worse.
See you on the water.
Rob
Mantra Kayaks Pro Staffer

RAD
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: A River between the Mary and the Tweed guess which one
Kayaks: Mantra Noa x 2. Mantra Mana

Postby arpie » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:08 am

....Next time the fish will hold. I haven't chased bream yet with the fly rod. It is on my to do list though. What type of fly is that.....

hehe, like you - if I'd stripped before raising the rod, I reckon the fish would have held!! But because I thought it was a snag, I lifted the rod to try & get it off & only then did I feel the weight of the fish.... but the hook obviously hadn't penetrated enough to hold it!

The fly is an el cheapo that I got off ebay - I got a packet of them. I will spray them with waterproofing to stop them from sinking too, as they did that after a while. I liked the fact it should float (with the foam) and it would sort of look like bread. Maybe I'll take some bread out & burley up next time too! :wink:

.....better luck next time Roberta, with a 7wt rod you wont be out gunned by a bream, i use 7wt for Saratoga, never had a birds nest with fly, would be pretty easy to get out i would think.....

Thanks Eric - it was the first time I'd felt 'comfy' casting out of a yak!! The new rod is 'stiffer' (or something) than my old one, so that was terrific. Fingers crossed I land one soon!! I will stick with the topwater fly in the shallows & it should get bream, whiting & possibly flatties.

It was tricky to get the birds nest out too, with the line getting stuck underneath the lower layers & not wanting to come 'undone'!

....Birds nest in your fly it sure does happen, its mainly a loose drag thing as you have found just don't let it happen if you are targeting speedsters like tuna it will end in tears, usually a broken line or worse....

I will keep an eye on that drag know (not an expensive reel - White River from memory.) I was thinking that having a fish on could be disaster!! LOL First .... get the fish on!! :idiot:

Will be getting some 'tuition' this morning & having a fish this afternoon and tomorrow morning - and hopefully land something!! Got a couple of areas to try with the top water fly! I just SO love watching the fish trying to grab it!

cheers

Roberta

arpie

Postby justforfun » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:40 pm

Next time Roberta keep trying.cheers Justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm.silver trevally 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Postby Freewily » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi Roberta. Well done on getting out having a go. I know it can be frustrating & disappointing with al the tangles & falsehook ups.
It really helps with your swearing vocabulary! :lol:
Thats why I have a system in place on my outings. That is, usually I will fly fish as I first get out whilst there is little wind. Even though I can cast better with a bit of wind. But the calm surface shows if any fish is attacking my fly. :grin: Then when I get tired of casting or the weather worsens, usually when the wind picks up. I then revert to conventional gear.
If I were in your shoes. Oh I mean kayak. :lol: I would try & replicate your top water spin fishing to fly fishing for bream & whiting by trying to imitate the same tackle & actions. Mostly the poppers & lures. I know you cannot, or its very difficult to cast a Sammy or a diving lure but you can use similar, shorter, thinner & lighter patterns in the same colours as your most succesful lures. :wink:
I really like my popper flys that I made recently. Check my earlier posts. They are very easy to make &cast. Just glue the hooks in place. I dont think you have to make them so fancy either. Just colour them like a natural prawn in light greens or browns. Or your favourite Sammy colours. And tie on those tenticles that you do on your lures & thats it. :lek:
I am not so fond of white for popper flys so I would colour them with your permanent markers & leave the bread for bait fishing. I think. :roll:
Gee I cant wait to get to Foster one day to say Hi! to all your big bream! :lol:
Good luck. :grin:
Last edited by Freewily on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Postby Freewily » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:06 pm

Oh nearly forgot. Have a close look at the fly this whiting took. The wire in front of the red thread is actually the long shank of the popper hook. It is just a long shank with a bit of a bend halfway. Not twisted wire like it looks in the photo. I think it shook off the popper or it attacked what it thought was a prawn if the popper body fell off. :grin: The hook just had the red thread & tan feathers tied on. :grin:
DSCF5458-800x600.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Postby arpie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:00 pm

....It really helps with your swearing vocabulary! .....

hahaha It sure does, Will!! I think some people learned a few new words in the waterfront houses, too! :roll:

Between the wind & the current, I find I am stripping a lot of line & the 'fly' is just sitting there ...... moving 'eventually'!! It is SO easy casting on the grass with a bit of fluff! :lol: NO comparison to the resistance of the line grabbing the salt water in 'picking it up' to cast!!

Time on the water & technique will make a difference ..... also 'trying too hard' & using too much power probably doesn't help! :?:

Maybe I just need to go a lot lighter too - my 7wt TFO BVK tho lovely - is 'reasonably' heavy when doing a cast of thousand! :cry:

I may end up looking to swap it with something lighter in the 3-5 range ...... I will persevere with it in the mean time tho!

Many thanks for the advice. Will be having 2 x Half Days with Brian Henderson next week & week after, with practise in between - with Michelle coming up to join me.

cheers

Roberta
Last edited by arpie on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

arpie

Postby Freewily » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:04 am

Yes Roberta. Trying too hard with too much power still gets me. I start off OK with good controlled casting then I just try to cast further & further which stuffs everything up. :lol:
I did this my last outing when the line just landed a few metres in front of me in a coiled lump. :lol:
So I then re organised myself & wound in a few metres of line & went back to softer controlled casting which worked a treat. I found that I was getting more casts that counted. :grin:
This also helps your fatigue levels too. :wink:
Cant wait to get back on the water to have another. :lek:
Have fun. :grin:

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Return to Fly Fishing