Forster Fly Muster

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

Forster Fly Muster

Postby justforfun » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:00 pm

Arriving at the venue Friday morning I set up the Caravan and headed out for a session with the fly rod before the muster officially started I landed a couple of flatties pretty quick but trying to take a shot with the camera realised I had left the battery on the charger.After the next mornings coaching I headed out for another session on the flats but did not get a touch . Sacrificing the Sunday morning coaching clinic I headed out early heading for the racks in overcast conditions hoping the fish would be more active i managed to land a mixed bag of flatties, bream and a whiting on a micro fly I tied myself cheers Justforfun
P1010122(1).JPG

P1010123(1).JPG

P1010124(1).JPG

P1010125(1).JPG

P1010126(1).JPG

P1010127(1).JPG

P1010128(1).JPG

P1010132(1).JPG

P1010131(1).JPG

P1010130(1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by justforfun on Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm.silver trevally 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Re: Forster Fly Muster

Postby arpie » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:38 am

Well done, Noel!! Some great fish there - those bream would have given you some stock!! Nice pics. Can we see your 'micro fly'? :wink:

Where is a pic of that amazing bit of artwork that you won??

Glad to see SOMEONE caught some fish!! :roll: Michelle & I were trying for bream on the little topwater fly that I had hits on the other day ...... and we had multiple hits & bloops (some were VERY savage & I was amazed they couldn't find the hooks) & numerous boils .... so we were very disappointed that we didn't land fish, tho we both had fish 'lip hooked' at one stage or another - just failed to land them!!

We are both SO CLOSE to regularly landing fish on fly now ...... we will be catching up with Brian Henderson for a couple of 1/2 days with him - and hope to land fish when with him!! He is a terrific bloke & so easy to understand when giving instruction!

We started off with instruction on Sat morning until 10.30am - and one of the instructors, Juan, loaned me his 2wt Goran Andersson fly rod - and BOY! For such a light weight rod with really thin fly line - it was just MAGIC to cast!! My 7wt felt like a broom stick afterwards!! I guess you can compare the two fly rods with Spin Fishos using a snapper rod with 20lb line for bream fishing, they trying a 1-3lb spin gear with 4lb braid!
PB190028.jpg

Michelle & I headed back to her campsite & waded the shallows at Forster Resort (where we'd left our flies behind! :roll: ) We had some hits in the shallows - and as I walked along further, I saw this BIG bream come up behind the fly - it would have been mid 30s - and it eyeballed the fly before taking it into it's mouth! I could feel the line 'tension up' .... but couldn't feel the weight of the fish, so was in a quandry as to strip the line or not - and the indecision cost me the fish! :beye: Damn! It was hard work, as the wind had really come up bigtime as well (as it has done every day from late morning til evening!) :cry:

Heading back to the Big 4 in Tuncurry - a few raffles were drawn & they held up a box of wonderful flies made by Brett & Cherie of BWC Flies (google them) and I said to Brian - gee, I'd LOVE to win that ...... and guess what!!? I DID!!
Michelle Roberta Fly pack.jpg

We watched a heap of flies being made up by both Shannon & Brett - amazing stuff - and they make it look so easy!!
PB190046.jpg

PB190048.jpg

PB190064.jpg

Next morning, we got our yaks & put in at the Keys - I was keen to try the same area I'd had the hits the day before - but the Dragon Boat Racing was on & we couldn't access that side of the Keys, so we put in at the boats & entered the Keys from that side.

I was casting towards jetties & walls & getting hits - but no hookups. I could hear the bream smacking shrimp right up under the jetties, but it was impossible to get the fly in there. I cast alongside tinnies & poles & anything I could see ...... and eventually cast alongside a boat hull & a HUGE bloop, bloop, bloop - but he couldn't find the hook! A few more casts & he STILL couldn't find the hooks!! I kept trying til he stopped reacting! :roll:

Man, it was hard work! ! My forearm was aching - the arthritis in my hand/thumb was painful - yet I did a cast of thousands ....... I am DETERMINED to crack this 'technique' of fly fishing for salt water fish .....

Next fly fishing post, I hope to have better news on the fish front! :idiot:

cheers

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby penguin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:31 pm

Some great fish there Noel, well done.

The muster was a great weekend once again, thoroughly enjoyed catching up with fellow fly fisho's and everyone was happy to offer advice on flies, places to fish and how to fish.

Thanks again to Shannon Kitchener for his tips on flies and retrieves to use which led to my first whiting on fly and then regular hits and hook ups, being tying micro flies like a crazy man since i got home ready for the next session on the flats.

Great to catch up with Roberta again, a true legend of the area and great company.

Looking forward to next years muster already.

cheers

Penguin
penguin
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Penrith
Kayaks: drifter dagger, ebay sit on

Postby arpie » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:16 pm

.........being tying micro flies like a crazy man since i got home ready for the next session on the flats..

Look forward to seeing them, Chris! :wink: Whack some pics up!!

cheers

Roberta

arpie

Postby justforfun » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:15 pm

I would If I could Roberta but it is a bit worse for wear at the moment, it looks like the two in the photo of Bretts above only green instead of white with black bars across it, it is also in the mouth of some of the fish if you look closely enough . :lol: cheers Jff ps I will probably have tied a few more before I head up to your backyard in Feb :wink:
Last edited by justforfun on Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm.silver trevally 60cm
justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club

Postby justforfun » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Thanks Penquin it all came together sunday morning.cheers Justforfun
justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby penguin » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:11 pm

here's some of what i am tying Roberta, the fly on the far left is the one i got the whiting on

micro flies.jpg
penguin
KFDU Angler

Postby arpie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:47 pm

VERY NICE, Chris!! They all look good enough to eat!! I like the look of the far right one too!! Not unlike the 'sand flea' that Bretto Wilson was playing with too!! Tho he had to black dots/eyes at both ends ...... not quite sure why?

cheers

Roberta

Michelle & I are having 2 half days with Brian Henderson in a week or so ..... with a week in between each one 'to practise'! Trevor from Old Bar hopes to join us on the 2nd one.

arpie

Postby penguin » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:55 pm

the far right is a prawn imitation, bead eyes painted black, two bits of flash for the antennae, pink thread and some double sided clear tape, looks good enough to eat, hopefully the whiting will like it :wink: will try get a better photo with another camera.

the time with Brian will be awesome, hopefully you can get some tuition on the water with him, totally different from on grass, have fun.

Chris
penguin
KFDU Angler

Return to Fly Fishing