WOOHOO!! Got my First Bream on Fly! A Nice 35cm one!

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

WOOHOO!! Got my First Bream on Fly! A Nice 35cm one!

Postby arpie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:32 am

Hi guys

Well I've always said - "If you're going to get a first bream on fly - make it a GOOD ONE" (hahaha, no I didn't - but i do now! :wink: )

Since before the Forster Fly Muster, I've been trying (VERY TRYING!) to get a Salt Water fish (preferably a Bream) on Fly from the yak (I've previously landed trout & flatties on fly from shore & a flattie from yak) but at that point, hadn't landed a bream (or whiting!)

Fishing with a Fly Rod from a kayak presents a special challenge, compared to those standing up & casting! Being closer to the water in the yak, you can't always use the same technique - it is just trickier to do for all sorts of reasons!

Being very much a 'part time' fly fisho, having first 'learned to fly fish' about 30 years ago ..... there can be months or even years between my outings on the water! :roll: However, over the last couple of months, I've been really concentrating on giving it a 'real hard go'!

Sometimes I can 'fluff' a good cast & I think "THAT should catch a fish" ..... but it didn't! It caught a tree instead! Then it caught a jetty, a rope, a fence ..... LOTS of weed ...... and often it just caught 'nothing'! Hundreds of casts ...... for NOTHING! :grr: Then it caught my net, then my stakeout pole,, my paddle, the handle under my Hobie Seat ..... and a multitude of other things!! If ANYTHING is on your yak - the fly or flyline will wrap around it sooner or later!! :idiot:

Michelle & I have been out a few times in the last month or so & 'nearly' caught fish many times - we've had SO many bloops & hits on the surface fly that we'd been using. I'd bought about 50 of them on ebay some years back & knew they'd 'work' on bream & possibly whiting . So ..... Trevor, Michelle & I have been tossing this fly around over the last month or so!! I've even re-tied the 'floatation' on the fly as the original stuff wasn't highly compressed! I used a bit of nicer foam to replace what was originally on the fly - and it worked just as well - and finally caught the fish! :gu:

Last Thurs, we got together with Trevor/Old Bar Boy and had a session with top fly fisho/tutor Brian Henderson (who lives at Pacific Palms.) He took us thru the basics again - Roll Casts & using the Roll cast to initiate a 'one go' distance cast - as multi casting will just spook any fish in front of you! A bit of a storm happened, and we sought shelter for a cuppa & then back into casting again! We walked the shallows with Brian & John (a buddy who gave us each a nice fly to try) but even THEY couldn't land a fish (altho after we'd packed up, they DID get a couple of small whiting & a tiny flattie.)

Jump forward to yesterday ....... Whilst a storm had been forecast, it didn't look too bad in the morning, so I grabbed the opportunity to go out & try AGAIN with fly! I cast my spin rod on the way to 'my spot' ...... which is where Briana & I had fished last week .... so I knew there should be fish there! I had plenty of fish hitting the Sammy on the way over but no hookups. When I arrived, I was dismayed to see that the tide was almost dead low & the area I wanted to fish didn't even have water covering it! :beye: Damn! That scuppered THOSE plans!! Oh well, I'll just cast around the shallows around the edges ..... and had some terrific hits!

I even had one hookup where I stripped the line, felt the weight, lifted the rod tip & the rod loaded up & buckled as the fish fought ...... then it got off! :blah: So whatever I was doing had to be 'sort of' right ...... many casts later - I'd had a HEAP of hits - one spectacular attack would probably have been a flattie - that missed! :?: Most were probably whiting, as this area when covered in water is a whiting honey hole! :wink:

After a while of a cast of thousands, I thought I'd try a deeper area over by the edge in front of the trees & my first cast landed right under the edge of the treeline and I saw a nice 'bloop', then again, then the fly disappeared & I felt the line buckling in my hand! WOOHOO! I am 'on'!! (But I'd been 'on' before! :idiot: )

I started stripping the line & felt the weight of the fish, then couldn't feel the weight - DAMN! I lost it! Pulling in the loose line, I felt it tighten up to the fish again! It had been swimming towards me away from the structure, out into the open! :gu: YAY! I am still on! It felt like a GOOD fish too!! Quite strong. Slowly I brought it to the yak and I could see it was a VERY nice fish! :lek: A Blue Nose!
PC050023.jpg

My TFO BVK 7wt Fly rod
PC050027.jpg

A real Blue Nose
PC050032.jpg

First Fly Caught Bream! :gu:
PC050036.jpg

It went 35cm on the Lie Detector!
PC050038.jpg

and a Blurry go at a Selfie! :lol:
PC050028.jpg

Briana had caught a 35cm bream not far from this spot last week - maybe it was the same one?? So back it went, to grow bigger! :grin:
PC050040.jpg

SO ..... now for the next one!! (and a whiting ..... and another flattie ......)

cheers & thanks for reading!
Roberta

Hey!! If you are reading this and have been out fishing recently - for God's sake - PUT UP A REPORT!!

And add any photos you have from each month in the Photo of the Month 'Lucky Draw' - you've gotta be in it to win it!!

Don't be a 'LURKER' ..... be a 'CONTRIBUTOR'!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by arpie on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: WOOHOO!! Got my First Bream on Fly! A Nice 35cm one!

Postby pdfarrell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:41 am

WELL DONE!
Your persistence has paid off, and I bet you start nailing heaps now..
If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby Mackayak » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:15 am

Well done your persistence paid of now onwards and upwards . :wink:
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 35cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 34cm;
Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

Postby Bwak » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:01 pm

Welll done on landing a bream. I've been wanting to give bream a go on fly, will have to soon.
When I use to live down south and I started fly fishing for trout I would always spin for them too when I thought it was too hard on the fly rod. Then one year me and a mate of mine made a deal only to fish with flies for a year to get better at it.
It was only then that my success with fly fishing went up. Soon I didn't want to use the spinning gear and sold it and just used the fly rod. It's such a nice way to catch a fish. Good stuff!
Bwak
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast

Postby arpie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:47 am

Thanks guys - it was a blast! We are meeting up with Brian again tomorrow for another half day in fly fishing tuition to hopefully learn some more tips and straighten out a couple more of my bad habits - then it is just a matter of (as Bwak says) getting out there & DOING IT! Tho I must admit to taking my spin rod as well ..... I like to cast up a few fish to know that they are 'on the chew' - then chuck the fly & try & entice them onto the hook!!

Brian even takes some white bread with him to wet & toss out - to 'find' the fish ..... cos our lake gets netted ALL THE TIME & where there were fish yesterday - may have been fully netted by today! :grr: Last week, after our tuition, when we walked the flats with Brian & John, after Brian had tossed out 4-5 handfuls of bread - there was only the 1 bloop - indicating stuff-all fish were there, when there'd been heaps there the evening before when Brian had had a fish there prior to our lesson! :?:

....Then one year me and a mate of mine made a deal only to fish with flies for a year to get better at it. ....

I wish I had that discipline, Bwak! I've done that before & the bloody wind comes up & makes it almost impossible to cast ....... and I've regretted not taking a spin rod with me as well! SO ..... just as 'backup'!! Matter of fact, after I'd fly fished for a while with no hits, I used the spin with topwater to get some bloops, then back into the fly again - and eventually got the fish! So, fingers crossed I get more SOON - of different varieties too!! :wink:

cheers

Roberta

arpie

Postby Green Hornet » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:37 am

Well done, that's a great fish to catch on a surface fly.
Now you know you can do it with some sort of confidence, I hope it's the first of many for you.
Good on you for sticking at it until you scored.
Last edited by Green Hornet on Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green Hornet
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: NSW South Coast Estuaries and Lakes
Kayaks: Outback

Postby lantana » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:57 pm

Congrats on the bream on fly, excuse the pun but you are hooked now
Lantana.
lantana
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Postby penguin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:09 am

Congrats Roberta

thats a great fish for a first, now onto the whiting :glad:
penguin
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Penrith
Kayaks: drifter dagger, ebay sit on

Postby Galey » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:00 pm

Congratulations! I agree the fly from yak is a challenge but very rewarding that's for sure. Top job.
Galey
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Nth East Victoria
Kayaks: OK Frenzy

Postby Jamie D » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:02 pm

Congratulations Roberta nice goal ticked off
Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

Postby arpie » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:53 am

Thanks guys! It was definitely a cast of thousands to get it!! :lol: Just hope the next one isn't so long in coming! :roll:

We had another half day with Brian Henderson yesterday in extremely windy conditions - we went to Smiths Lake & fished the sandy shallows for HEAPS of follows ..... I only got the one small whiting but Michelle & Trevor both got onto mullet with a bread fly. After morning tea, I had a go with the bread fly & even tho we were burleying up with bread (1) to make sure there were fish there ...... (2) to get them 'on the chew' ...... and do you think I could hook one? They were all over the fly - I momentarily had one 'hooked' but it got off ...... Brian couldn't understand it, as it is his 'guaranteed to catch a fish' trick!! :beye: He even squashed some wet bread all over my fly to give it a 'bread scent' & it STILL didn't work! Then Brian cast MY rod out numerous times & HE couldn't hook one either!! And altho Michelle hooked another one, that was it for the rest of the session! Brian slowly came to the realisation that the Nut Cookies that we'd all eaten for morning tea had lots of oil on it & it had been transferred to all our bread flies, when we put them on! SO ......after eating your lunch, before going back to fly fishing, make sure you grab a handful of wet sand or local weed/vegetation & vigorously rub your hands with it, to get rid of any foreign matter - be it sunscreen or whatever!!

All going well, Brian will be coming out with me next Thurs in my spare Sport - as he's never fished from a yak before ..... I think it will give him a greater understanding of the complexities of casting from a yak. Sitting on a chair in a boat, with your legs in the normal position & casting is totally different from sitting in a yak with your legs straight out in front of you!! :?:

When concentrating properly, I am getting MUCH better at 'stopping' the fly rod 'earlier' (whilst still pointing skywards - which shoots the line forward) rather than dropping the rod tip & pointing it at the water (as I do when spin casting!) So slowly, I am getting happier with my casting, getting straighter lines ...... tho in the yak with wind & current I still find getting straight line to the fly is the most difficult thing to do! I need to shorten my cast & go for accuracy rather than distance! In our situation, often the fish are right there ...... with the stealth of the yak, you can sneak up & put in just one 20-30m cast & still get a hit/hookup without repeatedly having to do false casts that just spook the fish - when just the one cast should do it!

Anyone upgrading to the new Hobies with the Reverse Mirage Drives - will just be able to whack it in reverse to straighten the line, keeping in contact with the fly no matter what!! :wink:

On the way home, I stopped at a spot I thought should have fish & waded there & cast & got a bloop on my 2nd cast & a hookup on the 10th - stripping line, rod tip bent & pointed to the sky .... but it got off! :beye:

So, BRING ON NEXT THRUS!! Michelle hopes to be able to come up for it too.

cheers

Roberta

If anyone is considering taking up the dark art of fly fishing - make sure you get some lessons first with a SALT water fly fisho instructor (even if you have to come down to Forster to Brian! ..... ) cos it will make a wealth of difference to your casting confidence & you'll be catching fish sooner than later! :wink:
Last edited by arpie on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

arpie

Postby justforfun » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:23 am

well done Arpie glad to see you finally cracked a bream on fly from the yak no holding you now,cheers Justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm.silver trevally 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Postby Freewily » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:42 pm

Woooo Hooooo! So happy for you! :lek: What a nice bream. How good is that! :lek:
Well done Roberta! And well done Michelle. :grin:
Sounds like Brian knows his stuff. Great to hear.
Even though I am a self taught fly caster for over 20 years, I am still learning just from your post. :grin: Stopping myself from lowering the rod on my last cast forward is one of my main problems when trying to make that long distance cast! :beye: The fly will just land in front of me followed by coils of fly line & full on verbal abuse from meeeeeee! :egrin: :grr: :cry: :roll: :lol:
And more verbal abuse from my fly line getting caught on everything & anything on my yak! :lol:
But hey, after learning what the main problems are & taking them out of the equation enhances the prospects of catching fish. :grin:
Great to hear you are learning different casting techniques like the roll cast. Another very handy cast that I cannot do without is the backhand cast. It is a cast that I believe anyone in open & wind affected areas need to learn. It helps reduce wind knots & copping the fly hook on the head & any other body part! :lol: Its as simple as turning your back somewhat at your target & letting the back cast land at your target. A bit like turning your face to the back of your head & looking & casting at your target. If you know what I mean. :?: To be successful one must know of the current wind direction. I know this by the water surface chop & the feel of the breeze on my face.
Wishing I was with you guys to share the experience. Hoping my next post is a successful fly venture. :glad:
Cheers & have fun. :grin:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Postby Freewily » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:05 pm

Oh nearly forgot on you hook ups. I think Your chances on keeping your fish hooked is either by pulling back on the line to penetrate the hook before raising your rod like you would using a hand line before raising your rod as a fly rod is usually too soft to pull a hook through a breams bony mouth. :?:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Postby arpie » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:15 pm

Thanks for your excitement, Will!! The smile is still on the dial! Had another couple of outings with more hits & misses & hookups & drops! :beye:

Tomorrow I am lending Brian my spare Hobie Sport & we are hitting the water with Michelle, so we can watch HIM in the yak! He's never yak fly fished before, so it may well be VERY interesting!!

I LOVE doing backhand casts ...... because it is a shorter 'back cast' it usually turns out way better than any of my normal 'over the right shoulder' casts! :lol: I even had a go at casting with my left hand & it wasn't too bad either ......

Re 'lowering' the rod tip ...... actively STOPPING the rod whilst it is still pointing ABOVE the target (to shoot the line forward) usually does the trick, tho most (even instructors) then 'drift' the rod tip forward - but only after that specific 'STOP"!!

I am definitely better than I was .... and use a trick or two to encourage the 'STOP' ...... so it will be VERY interesting tomorrow on the water with Brian!

Nice high tide with the big full moon ..... I was out spinning there today, and got a heap of bream to 31cm (no monsters), missed a couple of savage hits, landed 1 whiting & spooked a hell of a lot of fish .

cheers

Roberta

Look forward to hitting the water with you one day! :wink:

arpie

Next

Return to Fly Fishing