Out with the Master Caster in yaks ... he bags a 34cm one

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

Out with the Master Caster in yaks ... he bags a 34cm one

Postby arpie » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Hi guys

After the Fly Fishing Muster & reconnecting with Bretto Wilson & Brian Henderson again - Michelle, Trevor/Old Bar Boy and I arranged for 2 x 1/2 day sessions (a week apart) with Brian to 'brush up' our fly techniques/presentation ...... so we could do some practise in between time & see if it made any more sense or if we noticed a difference in our casting/presentation!! It helped BIGTIME!
PC010014.jpg

Pretty well the first thing that Brian told us was NOT to go for BIG distance - but for shorter, more accurate casts! As with most fishing - it is where you put the fly/lure - not always how far you can cast it!!

SO ..... working on the 'one cast' roll cast & accurately casting about 20-30m of fly line in one go and keeping it UNDER CONTROL ..... and NOT doing a lot of 'false casting' (cos it spooks the fish!) is what we were working on in our first session.

And I think it is working! After our first session together, I went out & 'accidentally' caught a 35cm bream!! :lek: Mind you - it was still a cast of thousands ...... but at least this one liked my presentation enough to wolf down the fly! :gu:
PC050028.jpg

Our next session was out on the water at Smiths Lake, casting for whiting & mullet. Brian gave me one of his own fly designs to play with & I landed a small whiting on it, but it jumped back into the water before I could get a pic of it! :idiot:

Later, we targetted mullet as well & they were blooping all over the bread fly, but could I hook one? Not for my life!! Grrr Michelle & Trevor both were hooking them, as well as Brian up until morning tea ...... and we finally worked out that the oil from some nut cookies that we'd eaten must have transferred to our hands & onto the flies - cos none of us were hooking up after our morning tea!! SO ..... watch what you eat - and make sure you scrub your hands with lots of sand again before starting fishing again after a food break!!

I was much happier with my casting style on the 2nd session & Michelle & Trevor were very happy to be landing fish! Setting the hook on the little buggers can be tricky tho, as it is not 'lifting the rod tip' like we do with Spin - it is 'stripping the line' whilst lifting the rod to point skywards ..... it is difficult to break the habit of lifting the rod to set the hook - and because fly rods are so 'bendy' they don't have that 'strike' ability that spin rods have!

We often hear people talking about 'waving the wand' when referring to Fly FIshing ..... and that is what a lot of people do with their casting stroke - basically wave it back & forth. The secret is in STOPPING the rod tip at a specific point 'briskly enough' to help shoot the line BACKWARDS and on the FORWARD cast as well, to carry the fly ahead of the line, to the target! I was guilty of NOT stopping the rod tip briskly enough (I was still pointing the tip of the rod to the water as we do in spin casting) and the fly line would just crumple in a heap in front of me! :oops:

Convincing myself to actually say 'STOP' each time as I did the forward cast helped encourage me to STOP the cast 'mid way' (about 10 o'clock position) and sure enough, the fly line would shoot forward, with the leader & fly unfurling above it, to land on the water ahead of the fly line!! :lek: Even now, I am more conscious of that 'stop motion' than of anything! When my casts are going belly up ..... I re-group my thought, concentrate & go thru the motions to get that casting 'right' again. If the full amount of line (20-30m) goes out in one shot & I hear it 'slap' the rod - I know I've done a good cast! :lek:

Enough!! I suggested to Brian that he might like to join me on the water in my spare Hobie, to get the feel of the casting at water level as I seriously reckon it is totally different from casting standing up. I particularly have difficulty doing a roll cast from the yak, as you just don't have the height to pull the line from the water & then load up your rod to cast!!

We went to the Keys & Brian had his first fly fishing session from a yak! He took to it like a duck to water!
Brian & Hobie Sport.jpg

Sadly, the weather was against us and it rained on & off all day ...... which made it uncomfortable but Brian was a trouper & continued fishing throughout! Watching him cast was a pleasure!
PC150014.jpg

We were both getting lots of hits - but hooking the little buggers was a totally different story!! Brian realised that the roll cast wasn't as easy as he'd hoped, from the yak! We were concentrating on fishing the edges and this small bream jumped on board - on topwater fly!
PC150020.jpg

We moved around a bit and concentrating at casting along the edges of overhanging trees and were getting lots of hits & just as many misses, then, as the tide got higher, some bigger specimens joined the fight!! We saw some REALLY fishy water! Brian landed this lovely 34cm bluenose bream on a Shrimp fly - whilst most of his other hits were from one of his home made topwater flies!
Brian 34cm bream.jpg

I even had a hit on one of his topwater flies, just dragging it behind me as I 'went with the flow' at one spot ..... I think it was a whiting!

If the weather hadn't been as bad as it was (basically raining all day!) I am sure we would have stayed out longer - as it was, we stayed out about 6hrs & came back looking like drowned rats ...... but still smiling!!

I am looking forward to hitting the water again on a nicer day ..... probably down near the Rec Club at Pacific Palms, as Brian just lives across the road from it - and I have had some success down there on topwater spinning for bream - so hopefully it will translate to fly fishing as well! :lek:

Hopefully Michelle & Trevor will be able to join us on the water on this next outing!

If you are thinking of getting into Fly Fishing, I would thoroughly recommend you get a couple of expert tuition sessions in with someone like Brian before you hit the water!! :wink: Doing it as a small group (3 or 4 people) helps defray the cost and helps prevent learning bad habits!

cheers - and thanks for reading

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by arpie on Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Out with the Master Caster in yaks ... he bags a 34cm on

Postby Ads22 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:09 pm

Nice work Roberta! I will post a report soon from our trip on the Glenelg River down here. Drowned rats all round, so we know how you feel! Back up your way in a week or so.
Cheers,
Adam
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby Rodney W » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:29 am

Nice report Roberta. Glad to see you have finally taken up the Long Wand and are getting a few fish. Flying from the Hobie is great. I practiced by sitting on the lawn and casting.It helps but obviously your rod doesn't load as well as on the water. Nor do you catch fish!!! The comments from neighbours makes it interesting!

The Bride and I will make it a priority to get over and fish with you this year as it has been quite some time since we were there.

Regards
Rod
Rodney W
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Muswellbrook Glenbawn Dam and Glennies Creek Dam
Kayaks: Hobie Outfitter

Postby arpie » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:14 pm

....glad to see you have finally taken up the Long Wand and are getting a few fish. Flying from the Hobie is great. I practiced by sitting on the lawn and casting.It helps but obviously your rod doesn't load as well as on the water.....

Hey Rod! Good to see you back on line! Happy New Year!! Let me know when you come over!! Are you all fit & well again after that leg injury? I hope you have finally FULLY retired now too - or have they made you an offer too good to refuse, to stay on!??

Yes - I have really persevered this time and think I am starting to 'get' the rhythm thing & the 'stop' thing ..... just now & then the concentration level drops & so does the rod & the line lands in a blob in front of me! LOL

Brian is a terrific Tutor - and is VERY patient with his pupils! (He is one of the few in the world who has internationally recognised teaching credentials for spey casting & both left & right handed casting - is probably more famous for his spey casting tutorials as well.) Plus he is a very talented fly tier, to boot, having mastered an amazing 'sand flea' fly that catches anything from whiting to bream & big flatties!

I hope to hook up with him for another 'on the water session' soon - after the Xmas/New Year madness settles down! It is chaos here just now on the water.

Looking forward to catching up again! I have a few local spots earmarked as good fly fishing spots! :wink: I was fly fishing from the yak the other day & a guy was wading the same flats, fly fishing - so assume he is a local. I caught one, he caught at least one that I saw. And it is just a few minutes from home, tho very shallow - so you need to pick the rising/high tide.

I have ONE area that I haven't tried yet - so we may give that a go when you come over! :wink: Supposed to be REALLY good! :lek:

cheers

Happy New Year

Roberta

arpie

Postby Rodney W » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:15 am

Roberta I am all done and dusted with work but Lorraine still working with TAFE. She will finish this year.

After busting my knee I managed to tear Rotor Cuffs in both shoulders. Did the physio and didn't need surgery. It hasn't interfered with my casting . I will let you know when I am coming over. It's probably best to wait until school goes back.Looking forward to checking out those fly spots of yours. Can you post a shot of the flies you are using (or pm a photo to me) and I will tie some up in readiness.

Glad you have found a good instructor. I have heard of Brian. I had a session with Peter Morse some years ago which was helpful but you offered good advice in saying that you should have lessons before you start with the fly as most try, say it is to hard and give it away.

Happy New Year to you and Keith

Rod
Rodney W
KFDU Angler

Postby Freewily » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:03 am

Nice read & pics Roberta. You sure are improving in leaps & bounds. :grin:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Postby arpie » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:47 am

No worries, Rod ..... pics below

I had rotator cuff/frozen shoulder/bicep injury surgery 3 years ago & it took over 12 months to get my full range of movement back ..... so you were VERY lucky you didn't need it!! Sadly, no amount of physio would have fixed mine without the surgery. It severely impacted my casting & I couldn't even get in & out of the yak without assistance, let alone load & unload it. It was VERY inconvenient!

Brian is terrific, and being 'almost' a local at Pacific Palms, I can only imagine he will be out in my yak again as soon as the tourists shoot thru!! Maybe we can organise you to come over for that event?? More than likely during the week, to avoid weekend crowds - and more than likely, launching at the Recreation Club there as he just lives across the road. I reckon he will invest in a yak sooner than later - most likely a Hobie, as he took to it so well.

I have shown the fly in most of my posts ..... I bought about 50 of them cheap off ebay some years back but had never used them & have handed a bunch out to Michelle & Trevor & Brian to use/copy - but the foam on them was a bit 'weak' and would bust off or sink after a few casts ..... so I replaced it on some of them using the thin foam that is in the Decoy Treble Hook packets! :wink: Perfect fit! It just has some body in a purple (no tail) tied on underneath the foam. The original didn't have the front flap & got as many hits as the 'upgraded one'!
PB170019.jpg

ALL my bream so far have been landed on the one fly! 100% success!! :lek: It is, of course, my FAVOURITE!! I just love SEEING the fish hit it. I have had hundreds of hits on it in the canals & the flats.

My first bream on upgraded topwater fly - 35cm
PC050034.jpg

I got this tiny one on the same fly on Dec 29th - the gunk on the bottom is some low quality 'uv cement' that actually goes blue/purple!
PC290013.jpg

Another Littley on Dec 22nd
PC220010.jpg

Tiddler landed Xmas Eve
PC240006.jpg

New PB 35.5cm landed on Xmas Eve
PC240010.jpg

AND I have a box of BWC flies that I won at the Fly Muster as well to try out ....... soon!! Still having too much fun with this one tho! LOL You MUST come to next year's Fly Muster - Blackant was there too! :gu:
Michelle Roberta Fly pack.jpg

I take my fly rod out every time now & give it 2-3hrs & only revert to spin gear if I am not getting hits/follows/hookups!

And no ...... I haven't cleared my yak of 'stuff'!! You will LAUGH when you see it! :lol: The only think I don't take with me is the flag.

cheers

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

arpie

Postby lantana » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:10 pm

well done, i like the way that cement gunk goes Blue/purple its a color i use a lot on lures and fly i use nail polish, purple is a color of passion maybe thats why i catch fish :wink:
Lantana.
lantana
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Postby arpie » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:15 pm

......purple is a color of passion maybe thats why i catch fish......

:lol: :lol: Purple is famous for catching bass, (as is black). ...... maybe for bream too :wink:

The stuff that goes blue/purple when exposed to UV light is called 'Rapidfix' and you get it from Hardware Shops. It comes with the UV torch too.

Cheers

Roberta

arpie

Postby Rodney W » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:41 am

Thanks for the pics and info. Will tie up a few. Obviously with 50 you probably won't need any for a while.

Have you tried any with foam colour other than white . Obviously white is a good colour for seeing where the fly is. Would the fly work with say black or purple Estay Chenile instead of the Rapidfix?

Lantana with the nail polish do you paint the bottom of the foam and then uv it?

Rod
Rodney W
KFDU Angler

Postby arpie » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:42 am

....Would the fly work with say black or purple Estay Chenile instead of the Rapidfix?....

The chenille should be fine, Rod - I just used the Rapidfix to try & coat the 'knots' I did to tie the foam on! LOL Tho the original body of the fly had purple thread/stuff on it too.

Yeah - I still have quite a few that I will replace the foam on, as I need. Since got some Loon goop to do the UV stuff! :wink:

The colour on the original fly was actually closer to a cream than white & the bream loved it as well. I am guessing any colour could work - give it a go! Try some in all different colours! :gu:

cheers

Roberta

A bit overcast, threatening rain - getting toey at not being out for a while! May go for a drive with the yak on & just see where I end up (without too many harassing boats, hopefully)

arpie

Postby justforfun » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:50 pm

don't catch them all before I get up there next month Arpie and well done .cheers Justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Return to Fly Fishing