The Master Caster bags a 36cm bream! Mine busted me off! :(

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

The Master Caster bags a 36cm bream! Mine busted me off! :(

Postby arpie » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:10 am

Hi guys

I managed to arrange a day on the water with Fly FIshing Master Caster Brian Henderson again last week ...... he is quite enjoying this Kayak Kaper ..... he usually just wades or gets his tinny out to fly fish further afield .... I can see him putting one onto his birthday/Xmas wish list! :wink:

As we were just sitting there, discussing tactics, he dropped his fly into the water to wet it ...... and blow me down, his 'do nothing' retrieve resulted in a flattie jumping on!! It was within a rod length of the yak - he hadn't even CAST it!! :lol:
P1120002.jpg

Brian gave me a couple of topwater flies that he had made up that we'd had hits on with our previous outing ...... so we started casting towards any bits of structure we could find (fallen branches) or along weed lines etc & were getting lots of hits - we just couldn't convert them into hookups! :grr: Then Brian hooks up to a nice fish that took him a little while to bring to the yak!
P1120008.jpg

It went 36cm and was in great condition!
P1120009.jpg

Shortly after, I hooked onto a monster bream! It did a big arc away from the yak & started pulling me ....... I clamped my hand onto the rod, stopping the line & applying full pressure to the fish ....... the rod was fully bent over & I was relishing the thought of getting some photos of it - on the brag mat as well - cos it really felt like a prospective PB on fly ...... when 'PING' ....... NOOOOOOOOO! It busted me off! :beye: DAMN! I was really gutted! This was a REALLY GOOD FISH! :cry:

2 things I should have done .......

1) I should have let it take the fly line til it was 'on the reel' ...... and then played it on the reel ..... instead I choked it & it applied more pressure to the 10lb tippet than it could 'take' - perhaps it had 'touched' some underwater structure too, to make it break?

2) I should have chased it in the yak - silly me - I just sat there & let the fish try & drag me in the yak! :beye: DUH!! Rookie mistakes!!

After that, we continued getting some great hits & Brian got some more smaller fish ....... so I know we'll be back!! :wink:

A couple of days later, I headed out on my own! The day before, in Aldi, I had seen a set of 'Plug Drills' and thought I may be able to use them to make my own topwater fly!! For 4 different sized drill plugs for $6 - it seemed a cheap investment!!

Arriving home, I then found some 'solid' foam .... and tested the 2nd biggest drill plug! It worked just fine! :grin: I loaded up the hook with some silver thread, then using some UV cement, I forced the hook into a slit I had made onto the foam plug - and used a UV torch to 'set' the cement in place. Then using the same silver thread, I tied the rear of the 'plug' onto the hook & used some more UV cement to 'set it' .... also tying in some white rabbit fur as a tail. Ready to go!!
P1130001.jpg

Casting it out onto the shallows - I instantly got hits!! Then a hookup! Nothing big, mind you, but I was just pleased to get the hits!
P1140008.jpg

The 'skin' on the rabbit fur turned 'creamy' when wet & gave an interesting contrast to the white fur ....
P1140009.jpg

I spotted a prawn jumping & cast over to the general area & this breambo jumped on!! A slightly larger model! :lek:
P1140012.jpg

He was well hooked!
P1140013.jpg

When I attended the Forster Fly Muster in November, Bretto Wilson gave us all one of these finger protection thingies to wear so the stripping of the fly line didn't cut into your finger! In early Dec, just that had happened to me when I forgot to use them & I ended up with a massive infection in my finger, requiring antibiotics to remedy! So I make sure I wear them all the time now! (Michelle gave me hers as it didn't fit her finger!)

The OTHER reason I wear them is that the line slips over the fingers with no resistance at all! If you are stripping the line without them - the line grabs your fingers & you don't get a smooth retrieval!! :wink:
P1140011.jpg

So I had 'equalled' my PB of 2 fish caught on fly on the one day on MY OWN FLY .... so was even MORE chuffed ....... NEXT time, I hope to get bigger ones! :lek:

cheers

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: The Master Caster bags a 36cm bream! Mine busted me off

Postby windy_kid » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Nice work mate!

Shame about the one that got away. Great to see that you are catching fish on flies that you have tied. I'm yet to do that.

I'm taking a casting lesson this weekend so I'll have to get out on the water afterwards ands see if I can hook up on some fish.
windy_kid
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bayside

Postby arpie » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:24 pm

....I'm taking a casting lesson this weekend so I'll have to get out on the water afterwards ands see if I can hook up on some fish.....

Good one, Windy! It'll make the world of difference! You are probably like I was - just trying TOO hard!! At the Fly Muster, one of the Top Guns (who was helping everyone, along with Brian & Brett Wilson - ex Shimano & now Tackle World fame) told me I was using TOO much power! Trying to thump the line across the field ..... he said 'Half the Power! Half the Power!' Sure enough, now I use half the power & get better casts!

It isn't always about distance with Salt water fishing - specially in the bays. Don't get sucked into trying to cast the full length of the fly line! You only need to do half of it! :wink: Fishing fast flowing rivers is totally different to fishing salt water bays & the flats! :grin:

Good luck!

cheers

Roberta
Last edited by arpie on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arpie

Postby rocketV » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:07 am

must be a great feeling to catch something on one of your own creations, well done :cool: :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Postby Freewily » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:32 am

Woohooo! :lek: Good stuff! Your fly is similar to the fly poppers I made. But I bought the kit online.
Those finger stalls are a great idea too. Shouldn't be too hard to make one. Maybe out of some cotton gardening gloves. :wink:
Great report Roberta. :grin: You can see when you are on a winner fly when the fish gulp it far into their mouths. :lek: You certainly have nailed fly fishing. Have fun. :grin:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Postby arpie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks guys!

....Those finger stalls are a great idea too. Shouldn't be too hard to make one.....

These ones are from lycra type material, Will - I am not sure if cotton from gloves will 'do it'? See if you can find some 'shiney gloves' in the Sallies & Vinnies (that fit) & just cut the fingers off! haha I would love to be there to see you trying them on! :lol: :lol: I want to try double handed retrieve as well - as I got some good hits last week - but it was later in the day & i was getting tired. When going for bream & whiting on my regular topwater lures - I go super fast on my retrieve at times ....... but just can't do it fast enough with single handed fly stripping - and I am not as good at doing double handed retrieve sitting in the yak as I am standing up (and even then it isn't very elegant either! :idiot: )

... You certainly have nailed fly fishing.....

hehe, Having the 2 sessions with Brian REALLY helped me get over that 'hump'! He will show me the proper way to double haul from the yak too ...... mine is a bit 'half hearted' at the moment!! :lol: Also, recognising how fish HIT on topwater has made all the difference, I think! I EXPECT the fish to hit - whereas with sinking flies, you are sort of 'hoping'! I will get to the sinking ones again tho ...... soon! Having too much fun on topwater to be honest. (hehe Nothing Changes! LOL)

...must be a great feeling to catch something on one of your own creations...

Absolutely, Rod. You can even use those soft ear plugs as a 'popper base' if you like! I like the really compressed foam tho. I just made up 3 more whilst watching tv too! My first one is getting a bit hammered :grin:

I must go back to where I was busted off & see if I can find him again! :wink:

cheers

Roberta

arpie

Postby Rodney W » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:15 am

Well done Roberta. It is great that you have tied up and caught on your own fly. We used to tie a similar fly on earplugs and because of its action in the water we called them "Madam Butterfly" after Suzie.

You are making me envious as I am not getting any fishing in because of the heat. I am planning to head over your way for a day trip the week after next so maybe we could catch up for a fly session which would be good. Have been tying up a few wets and dries to try out.

I don't get a chance to fish the salt often but I might mention that last SeptemberI fly fished from a boat in Swansea channel and over 2 days caught and landed 7 Salmon 4lb to 8lb and lost quite a few. I lost one to a huge seal which was awesome. It took nearly 15 minutes to land each fish and the power of them had to be felt to be believed. We will be doing it again later this year and as a matter of fact I went to Coal Point yesterday for a tying session with my club and we tied up Salmon flies.

Sorry to put the above in your thread.

Rod
Rodney W
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Muswellbrook Glenbawn Dam and Glennies Creek Dam
Kayaks: Hobie Outfitter

Postby arpie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:51 am

.... I am planning to head over your way for a day trip the week after next so maybe we could catch up for a fly session which would be good.....

Terrific Rod. A weekday would be better than weekends ..... less people on the water. I am tied up on Wednesdays and if a Tues I would have to be back by 2pm.

It'd be great to hit the water with you! WOW! Salmon at Swansea would be AMAZING fun! I BET they would 'go'!!

Did anyone get the seal incident on video??

cheers

Roberta

PM Me with possible dates & I'll try & get Brian out with us as well. :wink:

arpie

Postby Rodney W » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:19 am

Unfortunately no one thought to video the rogue seal nor was I the only one to lose a fish to him.

Have PM'd you

Rod
Rodney W
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Muswellbrook Glenbawn Dam and Glennies Creek Dam
Kayaks: Hobie Outfitter

Postby OzCrow » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:49 pm

I'm just soaking up these marvellous posts. I'm new to fly fishing still but from a kayak has my head in a spin.
Many thanks!! Such to learn..
OzCrow
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: ACT/South Coast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13

Postby Mackayak » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:24 am

Well done I haven't try fly fishing as yet but one day :wink:
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 31.5cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 32cm;
Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

Postby arpie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:30 am

Hi Oz & Mac ..... it is definitely a challenge in the learning curve - but when that 'hesitation' on the back cast 'clicks in your brain' & you get the timing right every cast - it is just magic!

When you start catching fish on a regular basis - it is 100 times MORE buzz than the first time you caught a fish on a Soft Plastic or a Hard Body Lure!!!

If/when you decided to give it a go - see if there is a local fly fishing club near you & go along - not only will you see how they do it (and I bet they do classes as well) you may also be able to buy a rod/reel set without spending a motza.

Fly fishing stuff 'used to be' REALLY expensive - but in recent years, it has become a LOT more affordable. As with any sport - as you get better, you may want to upgrade your gear ...... you should be able to get into a fly rod/reel for no more than an 'average priced, good quality' spin rod/reel. Just rinse them both well after any salt water fishing.

I hope to hook up with Brian on the water again soon!

cheers

Roberta

arpie

Return to Fly Fishing