A belated report of Fly fishing with Arpie

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

A belated report of Fly fishing with Arpie

Postby justforfun » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:21 pm

One fine calm morning in early February Arpie and I headed out for a session surface fly fishing in a very shallow weedy bay,hoping to catch some bream. Arpie caught a couple of small bream fairly quickly and then from memory a small flathead. I noticed small swirls just within my casting range .Casting close to wherethe swirls were I slowly stripped the line backtowards me and gulp I was on with a small bream coming to the yak with another small bream following shortly after. Some time later with Arpie and I talking to each other across the water about the wind starting to blow I noticed more swirls . Again casting towards the swirls there was an immediate reaction with a bowwave making a beeline towards my fly which was inhaled by the fish and it took off taking line when it felt the sting of the hook ,after a spirited fight it to came to the yak and being the good sport she is Arpie offered to take a photo of the fish as I had left my camera back at the van.the wind was really starting to blow with myself not being able to stay anchored with my stake out pole I started using my drogue to slow the drift and using the wind to help cast as it was impossible to cast into by now . Drifting back towards where the cars were parked and having a discussion about wind knots in leaders with Arpie She hooked a really nice fish judging by the bend in her fly rod but I'll let her tell that story And if she doesn't I tell my version of it :lol: . Not long after that we called it quits as the wind was getting very strong . strong enough that I actually sailed back downwind quicker than I could actually pedal beating Arpie back by about twenty minutes.cheers Justforfun . PS Arpie is hopefully adding Photos and her story
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm.silver trevally 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Re: A belated report of Fly fishing with Arpie

Postby arpie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:59 pm

Noel & I were keen to hit the water again after we'd had a quiet day with Michelle & Rod at Myall Lakes the week before ......

We fished the shallow bays, casting towards weed beds & the edge of trees overhanging the water ...... I was lucky landing a nice bream on my home made fly after about an hour on the water - it wasn't far from where I'd been busted off on a BIG bream late last year when fishing with Brian Henderson! :?: This one wasn't as big tho - just tipping 33cm
P2020001.jpg

P2020003.jpg

The successful fly - almost munted by numerous strikes!! (I successfully repaired it later at home!! :wink: )
P2020006.jpg

We continued following the contour of the bay, casting over the weedbeds & along the edges ..... for small bloops and missed hits! :?:

Noel was also getting hits too (and extremely well covered up!)
P2020004.jpg

Then he hooked up to a nice bream & was stoked!
P2020007.jpg

Over on shore .... there was a BIG BUCK Kangaroo!!
P2020010.jpg

Following on from Noel's post .... we went around to a couple of other bays & kept casting - once again for lots of swirls & not many hits, let alone hookups! :beye: We just kept casting & casting - and the wind got worse & worse ..... and the hits got less & less! :roll:

Finally getting sick of the wind & chop, we started heading back to our cars, disappointed that we hadn't caught more fish. I just kept casting randomly & suddenly - my line took off!! I quickly had the fish 'on the rod' & was playing it with the reel .... it was pulling hard & there was a decent bend on the rod!! Then, the line went slack!! I wound the line in, still 'keeping in touch' with the hook - and as I almost got to the leader, I assumed that the fish had wrapped me around the weed & got off!! I grabbed hold of the leader and gave it a tug to free it from the weed ..... and blow me down .... it tugged back! All TOO LATE, I realised that the fish was actually still ON the hook & it bolted BIGTIME ..... but ..... because I was hanging onto the leader, the fish busted off! :beye: And that's the truth!! :idiot:

Heading back to shore, Noel got a bit of 'wind' assistance, using his net!! :lol: You can see how choppy the water was at this point in time - and the flag was pointing in the direction that Noel had his net!!
P2020014.jpg

The only good thing about our outing was that it was before the stinking hot weather had started!! :grin:

We'll have to try fly again next time you are up, Noel! :wink:

cheers

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby Freewily » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:10 pm

Well done on the fly caught bream both of you! :lek: Just one fly caught bream is a great achievement.
Nice post & pics. :grin:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Postby justforfun » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Thanks Freewily it started out a perfect morning but the wind soon changed that but we both caught fish on fly and that was the goaland the sailing was a bonus cheers Justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm.silver trevally 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Return to Fly Fishing