Fly rod Questions

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

Fly rod Questions

Postby OzCrow » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:27 pm

I would love some advice please. I put up a post last night but deleted it this morning as I thought I was asking too many questions.
Today this is what was on my mind at work..

For a Kayak Fly rod it would seem that a shorter one would make it easier to land fish, but in a sitting position a longer 9 footy rod as I have already is much easier to cast. So what do I do? Longer net might be possible. I have some painters extendable handles that would make a very nice short/ long net with a little thought.
I am not a great caster yet. My theory is sound but my hands are not yet on auto pilot.

Secondly what works to transport the rod on water when not in use or even if using a second fly rod?

regards Adam
OzCrow
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: ACT/South Coast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13

Re: Fly rod Questions

Postby flyonline » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Like all things it depends.

I fish for cod with a fly rod where most of my casts are <5m, I'm casting big heavy wind resistant flies and I can get out of the yak at any time so I fish with a very short (7') rod. If I was fishing for fast moving pelagics busting up in bait balls all over the place, or finicky fish in skinny water I'd be tempted by a longer rod.

Don't forget the stealth factor and that you should be able to get close to the fish, so massive casts are less of a need. Dealing with a short rod in the yak is so much nicer too! If you can, make one of your rods a shorter one and sit down for a cast and see what you reckon

I've got a fly rod holder in my yak, but other than paddling long distances, I just rest it in the cup holder between my legs.

Steve
flyonline
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: NE Vic

Postby arpie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:51 pm

I asked the same thing when I first started fly fishing from the yak - as I'd only ever fished standing up before. It takes a while to 'get the vibe' when sitting in a yak.

There are numerous fly fishing groups in & around Canberra (and I would imagine on the south coast too ....) Make contact with them, see if you can go along to one of their meetings & hopefully chat with some good fly fishos - they will answer most of your questions & with a bit of luck, show you how to cast & discuss the benefits of the different length rods.

Learning from a 'professional' will make your fly fishing journey MUCH easier! :wink:

cheers

Roberta

Mine are 9ft long. Normal net is fine - the fly rods are built to be very flexi - so you can usually get quite a bend in them when landing a fish.

A 4 piece breaks down nicely for travel in vehicles. In the yak, i usually just have it sitting in the forward rod holder. You an 'adjust' a regular rear rod holder to take a fly rod .... even for trolling with one!!
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby justforfun » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:47 pm

hello ozcrow here are some pictures of how I mounted my fly rod to my hobie the way it is mounted will take up to a 9ft fly rod without it protruding from the front tube and you can
use a bigger diameter tube if you want I used 25mm pvc as it was what I had and 40mm pvc for the butt and reel.cheers justforfun
P1000460(1).JPG

P1000461(1).JPG

P1000462(1).JPG

P1000463(1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm.silver trevally 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Postby cwsco » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Top idea justforfun!
Pbs flathead 73cm bream 42cm whiting 40cm grunter 48cm mulloway 80cm spotty mack 80cm cod 45 cm
cwsco
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: fraser coast
Kayaks: hobie revolution 13 native watercraft slayer 13

Postby OzCrow » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:56 pm

That looks tidy JustForFun.. I like that very much thanks for the pics.
OzCrow
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: ACT/South Coast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13

Postby arpie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:40 am

Hey Noel ....

Can you add some extra detail on how you made & fixed your 'rod tubes' to the front of your yak (in particular) - i.e. how you've fixed the crossbar to the front of your hatch etc as it doesn't look like you drilled in too many hole/screws - using the straps for the hatch ..... did you take more pics as you made it? Also widths of the pipe for the fly rod holder.

to your DIY post here?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22606&p=181396

You should also be able to add an 'upright' holder to the laid down fly holder (with the fly rod holder still going off to the side) , as I have an 8ft 6" spin rod I'd like to take out as well as 2 other regular 7ft ones & that would make it perfect for either spin & fly or 3 spin rods. :wink:

cheers

Roberta

PS And I LOVE your 'claw bath' seat in the background pic!! What other 'neat DIYs' have you & Darrell got around your places??
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby justforfun » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:54 pm

hello Arpie I did as you suggested and put a description on original photo's in DIY, and in answer to your question a few Oldtimer isn't the only tinkerer in this family :wink: cheers Justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm.silver trevally 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Return to Fly Fishing