Found some bream

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

Found some bream

Postby arpie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am

Hi guys

I hadn't used my fly rod for a while - so I went down to Pacific Palms to try & find some bream!! It was 12 months since I'd landed my PB bream down there - a 35.5cm beauty ..... so I wanted to find it's father! :gu:

I even caught up with Brian Henderson (with whom Michelle, Trevor & I had a couple of Casting lessons last year - that made ALL the difference to us actually 'catching'!!) We'd also had a couple of fly yak outings as well earlier in the year ..... and look forward to getting out with him again next year! :lek:

The tide wasn't has 'high' as I'd hoped ..... so I couldn't fish the area I was busted off on a whopper last year .... and just fished the rest of the flats. Lots of weed made it a pain fishing with a topwater fly ... but I stuck with it!!

I started off catching a few small ones - I don't even know how this one got the hook into it's mouth ..... the barb came out just under it's eye!! (I didn't even take pics of all of them!!)
PC110001.jpg

Then they got a bit bigger ...
PC110004.jpg

another one
PC110005.jpg

The biggest of the day would have been this one that went low 30s (I really SHOULD have measured it - but was in a hurry to get back to catching more!! :lol: )
PC110002.jpg

It was a nice fish!
PC110003.jpg

I missed one brilliant hit - after the cast, I was looking away when I felt the rod load up & felt the weight of the fish - but by the time I gathered my thoughts and tried to set the hook ... it got off!! By the feel of it - it would have been better than my other 'bigger fish'. :idiot: I concentrated a whole lot more after that!!

The wind picked up tho - so I chucked topwater around on the way back to the ramp & hooked a few small ones (even smaller than the first one!!) and the only 'reasonable one' was this one! It was probably 'just legal'.
PC110006.jpg

Hoping to get out again tomorrow & chuck a fly up the top of the Breck ..... fingers crossed I find some more!

cheerio

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Found some bream

Postby hillbilly » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:31 am

Thanks for the report Roberta. I’ve been looking on the net recently at the different types of fly that can be used to catch Bream but the popper you used is obviously effective In your hands. Having caught only three bream all on sinking flies I am keen to have a go on the surface so it’s out with the fly tieing vice again in the next couple of days. Regards Bill
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Postby arpie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:46 am

Hi Bill

Here it is closer up ..... I just use a 'plug cutter' to cut the white foam & then add some white rabbit fur & tinsel to it. I leave the face 'flat'.

Up til now I've cut the foam & inserted the hook (a long carlisle or similar - whiting hooks are perfect) and used Loon Resin to 'solder it together again' .... but will try drilling the centre next time & just forcing the eyelet of the hook thru - this one fell apart on me whilst fishing!!

Tho if the hook is offset , I think it works better! The barb is in the middle & the eyelet is on the edge ..... try it both ways - see which works better for you!

I put some loon resin over the 'tied up bit' as well, to protect it (tho I might have overdone the tying up bit! :lol: )
Roberta Topwater fly P1130001.jpg

cheers

Roberta

I've got a BUNCH of sinking flies - but I so enjoy watching the fish grab the topwater fly - it is my first choice, always!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

arpie

Postby Ads22 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:10 pm

I wonder if using something like an 18G 1.5" needle would work as a guide hole through the foam? Rather than drilling.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby hillbilly » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi Roberta.

I had just glued up a couple this morning before reading your reply. I buy the “make your own” kits from a tackle shop in Brisbane so no shaping or cutting is required. The foam is already hollowed at the front and has a fine lengthways cut to the centre of the foam where the supplied hook can be pushed in and glued. All I have to do is to add the white rabbit fur (zonker strip) and tie it in when the glue has dried in the foam. I’ve made a few before but always painted them, added feathers and legs for Bass but have never tried them for Bream.
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Postby hillbilly » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:27 pm

B5110866-292B-40B6-A412-027A1D40E38D.jpeg
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Postby arpie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:01 pm

...I wonder if using something like an 18G 1.5" needle would work as a guide hole through the foam? Rather than drilling....

I was thinking along the same lines, Adam ..... and a 'hot' needle may be even better to sear thru the foam?

...I buy the “make your own” kits from a tackle shop in Brisbane ....

hehehe, I am a cheapskate, Bill! :wink: Great idea tho. They'll work a treat! You could actually just glue the tail into the slot for the hook, i reckon! Should still work a treat!

Let me know how you go. The rabbit tail looks SO GOOD when wet! :gu:

cheers

Roberta

arpie

Postby Drew » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:41 pm

Good to see you're still out fishing me, Roberta!

I've taken a new interest in Alvey gear of late, as the yaks are up in Forster at the in-laws house.

Looks like we're up early in the New Year before the kids go to school - would be great to catch up for a fish when we're there!

Might see if you can give me some hints on where to pump nippers, as I reckon they're the best bait around, next to beach worms
Drew
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Melbourne
Kayaks: Hobie 2011 Outback and 2008 Revolution Fish

Postby arpie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:31 am

....Looks like we're up early in the New Year before the kids go to school - would be great to catch up for a fish when we're there!

Might see if you can give me some hints on where to pump nippers,......

Great, Drew, let me know when you are up!! The waterway will be frantic - and traffic crossing the bridge will be queuing up ...... but we should be able to find somewhere away from the crowds, hopefully!!

There easiest accessible nipper beds directly opposite the Red Spot (where the loo is)

I met up with your FIL last week - he is keen to learn how to play ukulele! :gu:

cheers

Roberta

arpie

Postby Drew » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:17 pm

arpie wrote:....Looks like we're up early in the New Year before the kids go to school - would be great to catch up for a fish when we're there!

Might see if you can give me some hints on where to pump nippers,......

Great, Drew, let me know when you are up!! The waterway will be frantic - and traffic crossing the bridge will be queuing up ...... but we should be able to find somewhere away from the crowds, hopefully!!

There easiest accessible nipper beds directly opposite the Red Spot (where the loo is)

I met up with your FIL last week - he is keen to learn how to play ukulele! :gu:

Yeah, at this stage, I think we're going to drive up on the 8th and stay a couple of weeks. HOPEFULLY some of the nuttos have left by then...

I'm hoping we can get the kids into some bigger fish with nippers, as they are loving going fishing!...

The FIL hasn't shared that gem with us yet. His experiment with the guitar lasted a couple of weeks I think...

Sorry about Easter, I had a buggered back (still do), and struggled to walk let alone pedal the yak :(
Drew
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Melbourne
Kayaks: Hobie 2011 Outback and 2008 Revolution Fish

Postby Ads22 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:11 pm

arpie wrote:I met up with your FIL last week - he is keen to learn how to play ukulele!

My daughter has done a bit of this at school! They had Jessica Mauboy visit the school for an ARIA thing with her teacher and she ended up sitting next to Jess playing the uke with her in the video. She was pretty chuffed! The video was pretty funny, as my daughter had her best uke/guitar face (distant, stunned mullet look :idiot: ) on, much like I do when I play! :lol: :lol:
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby arpie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:10 am

...My daughter has done a bit of this at school! They had Jessica Mauboy visit the school for an ARIA thing with her teacher and she ended up sitting next to Jess playing the uke with her in the video. She was pretty chuffed! The video was pretty funny, as my daughter had her best uke/guitar face (distant, stunned mullet look :idiot: ) on, much like I do when I play....

How COOL is that?? Jessica Mauboy is one of my FAV singers! I loved watching Secret Daughter too - she sure can act as well!!

Put the video up!! :wink: I'd love to see it!!

Roberta

arpie

Postby arpie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:10 am

...My daughter has done a bit of this at school! They had Jessica Mauboy visit the school for an ARIA thing with her teacher and she ended up sitting next to Jess playing the uke with her in the video. She was pretty chuffed! The video was pretty funny, as my daughter had her best uke/guitar face (distant, stunned mullet look :idiot: ) on, much like I do when I play....

How COOL is that?? Jessica Mauboy is one of my FAV singers! I loved watching Secret Daughter too - she sure can act as well!!

Put the video up!! :wink: I'd love to see it!!

Roberta

arpie

Postby Freewily » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:33 pm

Well done Roberta! :lek: Nice catch on fly. Better than my last effort. Might have to send the pro fishermen out to you so my areas can restock! Well that's my excuse anyway. :idiot: :lol:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Postby arpie » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:07 am

...Might have to send the pro fishermen out to you so my areas can restock! Well that's my excuse anyway......

Funny you should mention that ....... I'm seriously considering putting a suggestion to our Council/Fisheries that a small portion of our large lake be made 'pro free'. The only Pro Free area so far is the lower part of the Breck Channel & the area immediately up from the bridge in line with Godwin Island across to Tuncurry - largely the area called 'The Paddock'.

My suggestion would be to extend it to the end of the Breck Channel and run it along the front of Wallis Island (where the water is way too fast for pros to fish anyway!) and then draw an oval from there to Green Point, leaving the top of Lanis Island, Pipers Bay and the Keys area all Pro Free.

It is just a 'small area' relative to the size of the lake (which is about 5 times the size of Sydney Harbour) and it would benefit tourism in the area by making these areas pro free ..... and would actually help the pro fishers as well - by allowing this prime 'growing area' to grow the fish 'big'!
Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 8.02.22 AM.png

cheers

Roberta

arpie

Next

Return to Fly Fishing