Grunter on fly

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

Grunter on fly

Postby NorthSIKer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:11 pm

I was mildly surprised to catch a couple of grunter (javelin) in fly today. Only mildly surprised, as I am increasingly convinced a fly will catch anything a plastic will. Grunter have long been considered a bait only species, although a number of people are getting them consistently on plastics in recent years. Unfortunately all the grunter I caught today (also caught 4 on plastics before changing to the fly) were undersized.

Grunter are the number one bread and butter fish of the north. They hold a position very similar to bream down south, except they get to a reasonable size, fight ok and actually taste pretty good :blah: :lol:

However to catch grunter on fly, you need a very specific technique.

1. Attach a 4 ounce sinker with a mono dropper loop to your snap.
2. ATtach fly to the snap with point up.
3. Place rod in rod holder and let out about 2-3 times the water depth in line.
4. Eat a muesli bar whilst scanning the horizon for any signs of birds hitting bait on the outgoing tide.
5. (Optional) If you think a fish is enquiring on the fly, wiggle the kayak to bounce the rod tip a little for some additional action to the fly.
6. When the fish hooks itself make sure you have a drink of water to wash down the muesli bar before proceeding to wind in the capture.

grunter fly.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Re: Grunter on fly

Postby LODO » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:47 pm

That's GOLD!!!

I love your attention to detail on the technique ... you must go through a lot of muesli bars though.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Stealth ProFisha 525 and Stealth Evolution Duo

Re: Grunter on fly

Postby davidsanegor » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:56 pm

Nice one mate
Kind of like using a sabiki
We did the same thing catching big kingfish attaching the fly to the knife jig or snapper lead!
Tight Lines
David
Deadly Fishing Tackle
https://deadlyfishingtackle.com.au
davidsanegor
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: sydney
Kayaks: gumotex solar, stearns, sevylor

Return to Fly Fishing