Camping and Meats

Discuss and share all topics related to camping here.

Camping and Meats

Postby canaryfisher » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:15 pm

So I am planning a solo 2 night trip to peel island and I want to take a stew but I fear it may go bad.
I got vacuum seal bags and the machine..and I seen this site > http://happycampergourmet.com.au/ sell meals in what looks
like vacuum seal bags but with cooked meat in them that you just reheat.

My question is how would I go about doing this as they say for the ones they sell the shelf life is 18months.
Is there a way of making it so the meat and veg go gross?
canaryfisher
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revolution 13

Re: Camping and Meats

Postby simons rat » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:55 pm

This is what I do for a multi-day trip.

Freeze 600ml water bottles. These are used to stack around the food and drinks in the esky

I have a good esky that keeps a bag of ice for a few days. This is very important as a poor quality esky is not insulated enough to maintain temp over a few day. My esky is probably around the 40l mark.

Day ones meal, is left unfrozen. For me and RAD this is usually a couple of steaks which we make into steak burgers. The steak has always been extremely cold when we go to cook it.

Day two meal. I either cook a spag bol or a stew. I freeze the mince before putting it in the esky. Usually the mince still feels frozen the following day.

We have a few beers so I usually only put in enough for the first day. Then as we remove a beer we put a new hot one into the esky.

We also usually do ham etc for lunch and have a few cold snacks like olives, cheese etc.

For a two night trip (three days) I feel very confident with the condition of our food. We have done a three night trip but for the final night we used dried mince, but I think we would have gotten away with frozen mince as our beers and water were still icy cold.

The bottles of water have a greater cold mass than a bag of ice and so last longer. This has the added bonus that as they melt you still have water for the end of the trip.

If it was me I would freeze both of your prepared meals, then you can increase the chances of everything being ok.

I always take some non perishable stuff for a few extra meals incase I thought the stuff in the esky is sus or if we had to stay an extra day for some reason.

the other thing to do is to keep your esky in the shade ....

good luck,

S
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A little something else ....

Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BladeKayakTV
Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishfidler/sets/72157625258444623/
simons rat
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: brisbane

Postby canaryfisher » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:11 am

Thanks but wasn't really the answer to my question. I already do as your just said on trips to peel island.
Like if you see that site I linked they got meals already cooked it seems and you just re-heat them. They got stews and chops..etc that have a shelf life outside the fridge for 18 months.
I was more wanting to know how can they do it?
canaryfisher
KFDU Angler

Postby Steve R » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:14 am

canaryfisher wrote:Thanks but wasn't really the answer to my question. I already do as your just said on trips to peel island.
Like if you see that site I linked they got meals already cooked it seems and you just re-heat them. They got stews and chops..etc that have a shelf life outside the fridge for 18 months.
I was more wanting to know how can they do it?

It may not be as much as you want to know but their FAQ page indicates retorting (sealing in a plastic pouch) is similar to canning. Put the food in sterile, seal it and there are no bacteria present to spoil the food.

http://happycampergourmet.com.au/more-about-hcg/#40
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau
Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Postby Missin Fishin » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:57 pm

Interesting stuff, and pretty darn handy for some situations.

Had a read of the link Steve posted and that seems to be the case. It looks like the food is cooked to high temperture inside the special sealed bag to ensure all bacteria are killed and none can get in. May not be something that can be safely done at home? unsure if you can buy the bags yourself or if there's any other trick to it.
Missin Fishin
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: ACT
Kayaks: Tarpon 120

Postby canaryfisher » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:13 pm

hmm yea looks interesting. I'm sure they are the same bags the mre's use as I think they use this canning method also.
canaryfisher
KFDU Angler

Postby Lapse » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:20 pm

When are you heading over Alisha?

I can't really contribute to the answer for your question, but will say the best way to guarantee to catch a feed is to take a really tasty well prepared meal. I reckon if I had a sealer, I'd never get to eat anything from it...
Lapse
KFDU Angler

Kayaks: evo465, greenland t

Postby canaryfisher » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:29 pm

Sometime soon alex.. I want to do a 2 night trip. If people want to come I'd like that.
I want to camp this time at platypus bay rather then horseshoe bay.
canaryfisher
KFDU Angler

Postby Ditto1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi All

Just a easy option for taking food camping..

for get those vacuum bags ect ect..... they work very well. But if you put individual serve into sandwich zip lock bags the submerge them in cold water up to the zip lock and jiggle it will expell all air and keep long enough for most short trips. I have been using this for 40 years. it has never let me or others down yet
Ditto1
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: 4m Dream Kayak

Return to Kayak Camping Related Topics