Swags

Discuss and share all topics related to camping here.
lazy paddlers
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Windsor NSW

Re: Swags

#16 Post by lazy paddlers » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:45 pm

I use this tent when travelling on my motorcycle trips.

The tent packs up quite small, along with a self inflating mattress, so I plan on using it for kayaking trips as well [if I ever get around to actually doing a kayak camping trip :roll: ]

In fact my whole camping kit is packed in the blue bag you can see strapped to the seat of the bike in this shot.

In that bag is my 2 person tent you see erected in the top photo, two self inflating mattresses [good quality ones], sleeping bag, tripod chair, mini stove with two gas cylinders [never know when one will run out] 6' poly tarp, and spare ropes/straps/tie downs.

I think I could repack it all in to a decent quality dry bag [the current bag is only really shower proof, not fully waterproof], then all I need to pack is some food and water, fishing gear and a change of dry clothes to sleep in.

Now all I need to do is pick somewhere to go. :wink:

Edit;
I should mention, I posted this because I feel my kit gives me more room and comfort while taking up no more packed space than a reasonable size swag.

Others may want to consider this idea too, the tent cost me $29. I'm cheap when it comes to buying some things.... not so much with other things, like the mattress. :lol:

Pete49
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Spencer Gulf
Kayaks: ebay special 3m and Swing

#17 Post by Pete49 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:24 pm

Pretty much same as my gear. I have a swag but its just too bulky. OK when on my bike but then a bit too big for a yak IMHO. If however you use a car to get to camping places with the yak the amount of gear becomes a non issue :grin:

McGinnis
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney

#18 Post by McGinnis » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:16 pm

Camping from my Troopy, I either sleep in the back or in an AOS Adventurer. Their RRP is insane, but occasionally BCF have them on sale. I got mine for 50% off. The selling point of the AOS swags, for me, is the 14 Oz Bradmill canvas. Can't do much better than Bradmill, if at all.

Camping from the 'yak or mountain bike I use either a Golite SL3 (green) or a Hennessy hammock. More often the hammock from the kayak, as it can be tough to find a good clearing on the banks of Sydney rivers.

neale
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Richmond NSW
Kayaks: Hobie PA 12, Adventure & '15 Outback.

#19 Post by neale » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:15 pm

I have a kulkyne swag, all good materials and workmanship, but it's too bulky once rolled up compared to a $50 2 man tent. Keep that in mind if you, like me, like to camp out with your yak or motorcycle.

vikodin
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Ocean Grove Vic
Kayaks: Hobie outback

#20 Post by vikodin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:08 pm

neale wrote:I have a kulkyne swag, all good materials and workmanship, but it's too bulky once rolled up compared to a $50 2 man tent. Keep that in mind if you, like me, like to camp out with your yak or motorcycle.
my mate bought the kulkyne swag! I roll my swag out and sink half a 6 pack while watching him set his up :lol:
Cast straight or be castrated

Return to “Kayak Camping Related Topics”