Trangia Recipes

Discuss and share all topics related to camping here.
Yaktastic
2014 Freshwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: Southern Highlands NSW / South Coast NSW / Fresh Water Impoundments
Kayaks: Hobie Outback 2015, NW Mariner 10, Australis Bass

Trangia Recipes

#1 Post by Yaktastic » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:27 pm

I've been looking into different types of stove to take on the yak for over night trips for general cooking but also for hot water on cold winters days. I found there a A LOT of different options out there!

In the end I decided on a Trangia and I was able to find an absolute bargain consisting of the non stick 1 to 2 person sized version and the trangia mini system combined (with only one burner). Reports on the simplicity, longevity and wide range of use was what led me to looking for one. Being able to use it for hiking also was a big factor.

I did a quick search and found this thread with some awesome recipes and great user suggestions regarding the Trangia.

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic. ... a&start=60

Today I tested it out with water, its a pretty cool little cooker, it boiled 750ml of water in 12 minutes. (No where near as quick as a jet boil, but will do me).

I've got a one night over night trip coming up and have decided on cooking dinner for a mate consisting of pollenta with a spag bol style flavoured pasta. I plan on using macaroni (smaller cooks quicker) as the pasta, a small can of tomatoes, diced up salami (dont have to keep it cold), water, and a chicken cup of soup (flavouring) for the sauce. I am going to test it out tomorrow. Im trying to keep the meal light weight.

After I try the recipe out in the middle of the scrub Ill let you all know how it went.

But before that, does anyone else have any favourite dishes they cook or other ideas they want to share ?? Doesn't necessary have to be for a Trangia but adaptable to the Trangia cooker would be great.

Mitch
Kayaking PB's : Murray Cod 88cm, Yellow Belly 58cm, Bass 38cm FL, Eel Tail Catfish 54cm, Carp 68cm FL, Redfin 40 FL, Luderick 33cm FL, Flathead 82cm, Leather Jacket 20cm FL, Bream 37cmFL 41cmTL, Estuary Perch 36cm FL, Snapper 40cm FL, Trevally 30cm FL, Jewfish 75cm.

Member - Southern Highlands Kayak Fisho's

Follow on Instagram - yak_angler

jeffo
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW south coast

Re: Trangia Recipes

#2 Post by jeffo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:30 pm

Mitch

There is a YouTube vid of an Aussie guy who does golden syrup dumplings. His name is adventure pro... Easy to make and I have tried them a few times and they taste great.

He does a range of recipes, they are pretty good

Cheers

Jeffo
Yaks: Cobra Explorer /Prowler 13 / Hobie revo

Member: NSW South Coast Kayak Fisho's

Yaktastic
Local Fishing Region: Southern Highlands NSW / South Coast NSW / Fresh Water Impoundments

#3 Post by Yaktastic » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Cheers Jeff, I'll check him out. Thanks for the heads up. I want to try and get as much use a
Out of it as I can and cut down on the gear I take on single night camp trips. Recipes like that are perfect.

Cheers
Mitch
Kayaking PB's : Murray Cod 88cm, Yellow Belly 58cm, Bass 38cm FL, Eel Tail Catfish 54cm, Carp 68cm FL, Redfin 40 FL, Luderick 33cm FL, Flathead 82cm, Leather Jacket 20cm FL, Bream 37cmFL 41cmTL, Estuary Perch 36cm FL, Snapper 40cm FL, Trevally 30cm FL, Jewfish 75cm.

jeffo
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW south coast

#4 Post by jeffo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:40 pm

I like the Trangia for that reason Mitch....all in one system.

Not sure if weight is an issue but dehydrated meals like mountain house are ok for an overnighter, light and you just need to add water which cuts down on what you take. They taste ok for a short period of time.

I tried them a couple of times, ok when yak camping because they are sealed and therefore water no issue if they get wet.

Definitely not as tasty as home made food but might suit what your after
Yaks: Cobra Explorer /Prowler 13 / Hobie revo

Member: NSW South Coast Kayak Fisho's

Yaktastic

#5 Post by Yaktastic » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:54 pm

On the yak its not to much of an issue. More concerned with space saving. I've read a bit about dehydrated meals, most reports are they do the job. Down side from what I've read is they can be expensive. A dehydrator would be perfect for pastas, casseroles etc.

GRIMMASON
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: anywhere

#6 Post by GRIMMASON » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:22 pm

Yaktastic wrote:On the yak its not to much of an issue. More concerned with space saving. I've read a bit about dehydrated meals, most reports are they do the job. Down side from what I've read is they can be expensive. A dehydrator would be perfect for pastas, casseroles etc.
i use to take the cooker for camping now a days its the hydration food so much easier . I get them from NZ

Yaktastic

#7 Post by Yaktastic » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:20 pm

Cheers Grimmason. I ended up buying a dehydrator. Made some
Nice jerky which turned out well. Tried to dry some banana which was a disaster. Going to try dehydrating a couscous / mince meat type meal next to take camping.

What brands do you prefer ? What's the cost like?

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#8 Post by arpie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:43 pm

Glad you found Pam's recipes - some excellent stuff there!!!

RP
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

neilmny
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Yarra Valley

#9 Post by neilmny » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:05 am

Yaktastic wrote:Cheers Grimmason. I ended up buying a dehydrator. Made some
Nice jerky which turned out well. Tried to dry some banana which was a disaster. Going to try dehydrating a couscous / mince meat type meal next to take camping.

What brands do you prefer ? What's the cost like?
Hi Yaktastic, what happened to the bananas?
I've done them several times now and they go really well, my family robs them before I get to take them on a trip. They don't look as "pretty" as the shop ones but they really taste good, the banana flavour intensifies. I do 12 hours at 58C on my Luvello dehydrator. Dip them in lemon juice first, it helps to keep them looking better.

Tinned fruit goes really well too. I do this when I get a dud tin of over ripe soft (sloppy) apricots and a I've done a couple of tins of peaches in mango juice which were bought by mistake. Don't like them out of the tin but they are great dehydrated.

Make sure your mince is good quality and as lean as you can get. Meat needs to be done at 68C to keep the bacteria development to a minimum in the early stages of drying.

Yaktastic

#10 Post by Yaktastic » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:13 am

neilmny wrote: Hi Yaktastic, what happened to the bananas?
I've done them several times now and they go really well, my family robs them before I get to take them on a trip. They don't look as "pretty" as the shop ones but they really taste good, the banana flavour intensifies. I do 12 hours at 58C on my Luvello dehydrator. Dip them in lemon juice first, it helps to keep them looking better.

Tinned fruit goes really well too. I do this when I get a dud tin of over ripe soft (sloppy) apricots and a I've done a couple of tins of peaches in mango juice which were bought by mistake. Don't like them out of the tin but they are great dehydrated.

Make sure your mince is good quality and as lean as you can get. Meat needs to be done at 68C to keep the bacteria development to a minimum in the early stages of drying.
They turned out really leathery, I couldn't get them to go hard and crunchy like a true dried bannana similar to what goes into musli. Maybe I wasn't patient enough?

Cheers for the head up on the tinned fruit and meat temp, Ill give em a go.

neilmny
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Yarra Valley

#11 Post by neilmny » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:17 am

Mine don't go crunchy either, they are a bit wrinkly. I think there is more to the commercial ones than just drying them,
probably chemical. The lemon juice helps. Don't look at them just eat them :wink:

simons rat
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: brisbane

#12 Post by simons rat » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:19 am

the dehydrated mince is pretty good if you want to make "mince" dishes.

cheers,

S
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A little something else ....

Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BladeKayakTV
Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishfidler ... 258444623/

RAD
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: A River between the Mary and the Tweed guess which one
Kayaks: Mantra Noa x 2. Mantra Mana

#13 Post by RAD » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:40 pm

simons rat wrote:the dehydrated mince is pretty good if you want to make "mince" dishes.

cheers,

S
Yep and if you don't eat all of it the bush rats will love it packet and all. :lol: :lol:
See you on the water.
Rob
Mantra Kayaks Pro Staffer

Return to “Kayak Camping Related Topics”