PLB advice

Discuss and share all topics related to camping here.
jeffo
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW south coast

PLB advice

#1 Post by jeffo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:05 am

I am looking to buy a PLB for when I go camping/hunting,

I have the choice down to acr resqlink and the ocean signal rescue me. Both small compact units that fit easily in a backpack/bumbag

I was wondering whether anybody had any experience with either unit.

The use is for land/bush so ability to float etc isn't a consideration.

Any comments apprciated.

Cheers

Jeffo
Yaks: Cobra Explorer /Prowler 13 / Hobie revo

Member: NSW South Coast Kayak Fisho's

Occy
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour and offshore, various inland waterways
Kayaks: Skimmer 128, Calypso

Re: PLB advice

#2 Post by Occy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:44 am

Don't have one yet as I've been waiting for the technology to provide more functionality, which seems to be happening. Whitwoth Marine sell a couple of them (can't remember the brand names unfortunately) for around $300 I seem to recall. Whilst not a PLB also check out Spot http://international.findmespot.com. I have no idea how they stack up against PLB's in a marine environment but they have been around for a while now and the latest series 3 offers a heck of lot of bang for your buck.
Last edited by Occy on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Paul
Kayak fishing isn't a sport. It's much more serious than that.

Matt S
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: port stephens nsw
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

#3 Post by Matt S » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:50 am

Sorry to add another to the list but I went the GME Accusat after checking out a few others. Reasons were while it was a little bit bigger (still small enough to not cause an issue when its clipped to the side of my pfd) it did everything as one package. I didnt need to attach a float or buy a separate strobe light.
Figure if I ever need to use it I want everything possible happening to make it easier for me to be found (if I could get one with built in flare rockets I would :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
As for how well it does work.... hopefully I will never need to find out. :wink:
Insert Signature Here

kiwinaus
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Lithgow Oberon Hartley
Kayaks: Lime Green Sierra Hobie Pro Angler 12

#4 Post by kiwinaus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:19 pm

I have the rescue me.
Its extremely compact design is what won me over and comes with a floating pouch that fits quite nicely on my pfd and also fitson my pack strap when river fishing.
Draw back is that you have to pull out an antenna to use it, but i figure if I'm knocked unconscious I ain't gona being pressing no buttons neither. :cool:
PB Bass 32cm ,PB Yellow belly 61cm, PB Flattie 50cm,52cm Rainbow Trout,PB Murray Cod 56cm......Wait for it!

tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

#5 Post by tonystott » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:04 pm

I am happy with my ACR Resqlink+, as it is still really small yet incorporates strobe and it floats. But the main thing to ensure is you get one with full GPS accuracy.. finding you within 50 metres is WAAY better than finding your needle in a haystack 5kms in diameter That could include a heck of a lot of terrain, far more critical on land.
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker

neilmny
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Yarra Valley

#6 Post by neilmny » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:29 am

I have the GME MT410G. It doesn't float but is rated IP67 and comes in a belt pouch. Location is to within 50 metres from memory and the non GPS version 5km.
It's also registered with AMSA https://www.beacons.amsa.gov.au/default.aspx with my details and emergency contacts. There is no subscription costs for this.
If activated AMSA deals with it. Some types are subscription with a US company and the activation is dealt with by the US system.
I take it everywhere, kayaking, fly fishing and bush walking, even when we travel to poor mobile coverage locations.

Missin Fishin
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: ACT
Kayaks: Tarpon 120

#7 Post by Missin Fishin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:28 pm

tonystott wrote:I am happy with my ACR Resqlink+, as it is still really small yet incorporates strobe and it floats. But the main thing to ensure is you get one with full GPS accuracy.. finding you within 50 metres is WAAY better than finding your needle in a haystack 5kms in diameter That could include a heck of a lot of terrain, far more critical on land.
I have the same ACR+ and am happy with it, small, light and has all the feautures. Obviously (and thankfully!) haven't had to test it yet for a full review but it does seem a good product. What Tony says about the GPS accuracy is spot on too, while having a PLB is better than no PLB, 5k radius in an emergency could be next to useless. Better to go for the full spec model.

Return to “Kayak Camping Related Topics”