Kayaking safety hints/requirements

Discussion of safety equipment and use.

Re: Kayaking safety hints/requirements

Postby canaryfisher » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:36 pm

I'm sick of seeing kayakers say the silly rules of "oh skies only have to wear lifejackets if your 100m off the shore line, but that does not include kayakers".
Like heck I wear one at all times, its like a seat belt in a car. So far this year we have had 2 deaths or atleast 1 from a kayakers falling off without a lifejacket and ending up dead.
Why can't people spend the extra money on something that will save there life. I keep telling kayakers and some new ones looking to buy a kayak to buy a lifejacket also cause even
if your going in 2-3m deep water in salt or fresh will you be able to touch the bottom "no" and will you be buoyant enough to jump back up onto your kayak if you were to fall out or flip.

As much as kayaks state they are stable which most are, they still have the chance to flip or if one was to do something stupid and fall out. All the clothing you wear plus whatever weight you
are without a lifejacket will be a big struggle to get back onto your kayak, with a lifejacket you can bounce on the water and lever your self up.

The other thing is not just for your own safety but also to set a example for the younger generation. Who cares about the state laws on who should wear a lifejacket, just wear one.

No point making this sub-forum of safety if you can't agree to wear something that will save your life.
canaryfisher
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revolution 13

Postby Seeker » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:54 pm

wondering if there is a "2 stage" vest out there..... maybe one that is the normal pfd style.... but with the ability to inflate a secondary stage.....
maybe something for the more skilled that, you dont need the full bulk of a pfd150{or whatever} day to day....but if and when the fan hits the shart.... you can pull the cord and blow up...float like a cork.....
im now 97 kgs..... still find the required vest bulky and hard to remount with in surf..... but im a good swimmer so maybe a trade off is some initial boyancey with the abiltiy to go "full retard" if its beyond just a simple remount in surf......

oh.....been thinking that maybe headgear for return.... a hit to the noggin makes most pfd's useless
Seeker
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: gold coast

Postby arpie » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:18 pm

.....been thinking that maybe headgear for return.... a hit to the noggin makes most pfd's useless....

Most well designed Life Jackets are designed to have you floating face up - so if you ARE hit on the head whilst falling in (unless killed outright) you should still survive, so long as you have your life jacket on & you don't succumb to hypothermia ..... and this is why some people prefer the more bulky foam lined Life Jackets rather than inflatables. Lots of offshore people prefer the Foam Life Jackets as you don't have to inflate them - they will already support them. Automatic inflating LJs can be a pain in the proverbial - as some have 'gone off' even with heavy rain, let alone falling in (when not in a dangerous situation! .... a waste of a gas bulb!)

On ET the other day, I saw him wearing an inflatable floating device on his belt ..... around behind his back! Not much good there, I reckon - if it inflates, it will put you face down!

I prefer to use an inflatable Life Jacket as I mainly fish inshore - and if I feel at all 'vulnerable' in big winds, big seas or whatever ..... I manually inflate it using the mouthpiece (which all inflatable Life Jackets should have on them) so that you can set as much buoyancy as you feel necessary BEFORE it becomes an emergency - if not inflate it all the way! There is no need to wait til it is an emergency & pull the tab! I haven't had to pull the tab for a full inflate yet ...... cos when fully inflated, it can almost be impossible to remount your yak! So if you DO pull the tab, you will then need to DEFLATE it manually to effect a self rescue back onto your yak - assuming you haven't been swept away from it by wind or current ....... but that is a whole other debate - whether to tether yourself to your yak for just this reason!

Best to do a few practise runs with your life jacket, before it becomes an emergency (see videos mentioned on previous page) ....... 'cos, even if you DO fall in - in many situations, you still don't need to inflate the thing, cos you aren't really 'in trouble'!

I've fallen in before in an estuary situation & swum quite happily in full fishing gear (long sleeved shirt & long trousers with shoes on) til I was able to remount either the yak or a boat ...... you just don't want it to happen to you (especially) when offshore or when on your own - cos then fear, hypothermia etc can influence your recovery efforts! :?:

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby Slipperywhenwet » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:49 pm

My fishing journey has really only just started and at present has been restricted to the estuaries north side of Brisbane. I do want to explore the Scarborough reefs so have been trying to find out the actual legal requirements for safety gear.

I have read through all the threads on this topic and read one post that mentioned you only legally require an EPIRB if you are more than 2 kms off shore. Is this still the case and does the same apply to smoke flares - i.e. only needed if more than 2 kms off shore?

Nev
Slippery
PB's: Flathead 43 : Bass 42:
Slipperywhenwet
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Moreton Bay and hinterland
Kayaks: Find Stealth

Postby Lazybugger » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Slipperywhenwet wrote:My fishing journey has really only just started and at present has been restricted to the estuaries north side of Brisbane. I do want to explore the Scarborough reefs so have been trying to find out the actual legal requirements for safety gear.

I have read through all the threads on this topic and read one post that mentioned you only legally require an EPIRB if you are more than 2 kms off shore. Is this still the case and does the same apply to smoke flares - i.e. only needed if more than 2 kms off shore?

Nev

You don't have to have either for Scarborough. Moreton Bay is inshore waters not offshore.

Recommend you have a PFD and VHF though.
Lazybugger
KFDU Angler

Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

Postby Slipperywhenwet » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:13 pm

Thanks Lazybugger. PFD is of coarse always an essential item.

One of the videos I watched was a tutorial on how to get back into your yak in deep water. One piece of gear he had was a (?) paddle balloon which made the yak more stable to jump back into. Anyone have one/tried it/ knows where to buy one???

Nev.
Slippery
PB's: Flathead 43 : Bass 42:
Slipperywhenwet
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Moreton Bay and hinterland
Kayaks: Find Stealth

Postby arpie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:41 pm

....One piece of gear he had was a (?) paddle balloon which made the yak more stable to jump back into. Anyone have one/tried it/ knows where to buy one???.....

Whilst in a panic out there, trying to find a blowup bit of plastic to put on the end of your paddle - could be a little tricky ....... I'd be tempted to be going with the rope stirrup idea as well (or on it's own as it would work just as well!) You could have it permanently fitted to the handle of a Sit On Top yak & stored under your seat ...... then using the paddle as well .... it is explained here - how to use it as a 'step up' into the yak. It makes the yak much more stable too, as your weight is opposing the yak from flipping again.

This guys uses the blowup paddle balloon as well ...... and there are some videos out there
http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Artic ... eFloat.htm

Cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby Lazybugger » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Slipperywhenwet wrote:Thanks Lazybugger. PFD is of coarse always an essential item.

One of the videos I watched was a tutorial on how to get back into your yak in deep water. One piece of gear he had was a (?) paddle balloon which made the yak more stable to jump back into. Anyone have one/tried it/ knows where to buy one???

Nev.

Use a stirrup instead. Just grab an old strap or similar and tie a knot in it then loop it through a side handle. Takes up bugger all space.

Why bother with a baloon on a yak full of fishing hooks and knives.

Realistically though you should practice getting back on without either, especially if you ever want to surf launch. I can and I am a fat bastard.
Lazybugger
KFDU Angler

Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

Postby dru » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:50 pm

Paddle floats are less use than you might think, and no use if your yak dorsnt habe a method of slipping your paddle through ties to keep it in place. I pack one for my sea kayak but its piintless in my (fishing) ski.
If something is worth doing, do it to excess.
dru
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Balmain Sydney
Kayaks: Zegul 550 (SIK), Stealth Profisha 475, Carbonology Vault (Racing Ski)

Postby tonystott » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:21 pm

Roberta, those "bum bags" containing an inflatable PFD are simply storage. The idea is you first remove the PFD from its bag, fit it over your head and THEN inflate the PFD. Obviously totally inappropriate for yaks, but maybe not so silly for boaties (certainly way superior to the usual storage of yellow "brick" PFDs stuffed under the bow
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker
tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

Postby PA Pete » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:30 pm

Awesome write up. I've printed it out to share with a few mates.
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm
PA Pete
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

Postby spork » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:22 am

Seeker wrote:wondering if there is a "2 stage" vest out there..... maybe one that is the normal pfd style.... but with the ability to inflate a secondary stage.....
maybe something for the more skilled that, you dont need the full bulk of a pfd150{or whatever} day to day....but if and when the fan hits the shart.... you can pull the cord and blow up...float like a cork.....
im now 97 kgs..... still find the required vest bulky and hard to remount with in surf..... but im a good swimmer so maybe a trade off is some initial boyancey with the abiltiy to go "full retard" if its beyond just a simple remount in surf......

oh.....been thinking that maybe headgear for return.... a hit to the noggin makes most pfd's useless

Many inflatables can be inflated by mouth. You can put a few puffs in them to give you some added buoyancy with minimal added bulk.
This applies to the vest style ones, ie: Stormy Seas, or the Hobe branded ones, and similar. Not so much the Yolk style ones. Some of them might, mine doesn't, as the bladder is tightly packed away until it's inflated.

Another option may be a wetsuit. They add some buoyancy, while having minimal impact on your ability to swim.
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Tasmania
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Outback, Hobie PA 12.

Previous

Return to Safety