Can you High Brace a SOT Kayak

Discussion of safety equipment and use.

Can you High Brace a SOT Kayak

Postby XXXX_guy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:19 am

Hi,
Sorry for the beginner question, I was trying to learn bracing in my SOT Kayak. Just checking that a High Brace can't be performed in a SOT Kayak (short of perhaps binding your legs to the body of the kayak - not preferred) because you fall out prior to reaching the required angle? Assume same for eskimo rolls?
However should be able to do a low brace?
Cheers,
XXXX_guy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Logan and surrounds

Re: Can you High Brace a SOT Kayak

Postby laneends » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Depends on the kayak. A narrow one with high secondary stability will allow a degree of roll, especially fitted with thigh braces. Not the same as a sit in though. Most are too flat and wide to do anything fancy.

Broaching in a SOT is typically a very bad idea, but usually inevitable in a surf landing
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby Slick Mick » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:52 pm

If you ever put, or find yourself in the position of contemplating doing a high brace in a SOT, you are already very wet and are going to get a lot wetter. :oops:

Low brace in marginal conditions is not a problem. Do it myself on my Stealth Fisha in rough conditions with no issue at all in a swell height of <1.5M. Anything bigger than that you shouldn't be out there in a SOT.

Mick
PB (Yak) Bonito 60cm, Bream 37cm, Dusky Flathead 49cm, Sand Flathead 47Cm, Bass 35cm (1st time Bass fishing).
Slick Mick
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: NSW Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 500, Stellar SEI & SEL Surfski, Vajda K1

Postby laneends » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Doesn't help that the average kayak fisho simply doesn't have the required kayaking skills for it. The other disadvantage of SOTs is swamping, even if they drain fast it is enough to temporarily destabilise them at the crucial moment. Skis are better than the average plastic bathtub. Hobies the worst with their open cockpits.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby NorthSIKer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:51 pm

I can't see how it is possible but then there is probably a video on youtube of a dude high bracing in 2m waves in a BIC kids kayak :lol:

Scary skill in that in the fast moving surf zone you can easily overextend and dislocate your shoulder.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby yaqdoq » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:49 am

High and low brace in sit on top , this was the easiest to find of the top of my head :gu:

https://youtu.be/mZk8njo7yNQ
yaqdoq
2012 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: East of Oz
Kayaks: 495 Evo

Postby Slick Mick » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:46 am

The Paddle Guy is a very good exponent of bracing into and through the surf zone in his Viking fishing yak. Have done this on my old Pro Fisha 575 but haven't done it on my Fisha 500.

As laneends says, the average kayak fisho doesn't have the required kayaking skills to do it. After a number of decades paddling skis, sea kayaks and the like I still get caught out... but not very often :wink:

But as I alluded to my previous post, if you need to high brace in a fishing SOT outside of the surf zone, you have made the wrong decision to go out in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO60S5PCZcc

Mick
PB (Yak) Bonito 60cm, Bream 37cm, Dusky Flathead 49cm, Sand Flathead 47Cm, Bass 35cm (1st time Bass fishing).
Slick Mick
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: NSW Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 500, Stellar SEI & SEL Surfski, Vajda K1

Postby NorthSIKer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:52 pm

Those are some impressive surf skills.

But I didn't see any high bracing?

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby XXXX_guy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:05 pm

Thanks for the replies and the video links. It appears it comes down to whether a high brace is considered as the kayak being close to 90 degrees to the water or the horizontal, 90 degrees to the water with big waves is possible, 90 degrees to the horizontal probably not in a SOT. Given I was trying in 10 to 20cm waves on Lake Wivenhoe, I don't think I had a chance. Just checking it wasn't me :glad:
XXXX_guy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Logan and surrounds

Return to Safety