Offshore or inshore flares

Discussion of safety equipment and use.

Offshore or inshore flares

Postby XXXX_guy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:55 pm

Hi,
Just a quick one,
I'm looking at kayaking in Moreton Bay, at most out to Straddie. With flares are there any issues with spending a little extra and getting an off-shore flare kit from BCF as opposed to the in-shore flare kit (difference is one has 2 para-flares whilst the other has 2 hand flares)?
Cheers,
XXXX_guy
XXXX_guy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Logan and surrounds

Re: Offshore or inshore flares

Postby NorthSIKer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:47 pm

To be honest i personally feel flares are a bit of an issue from a kayak. You'll want to have them in your PFD as the most common issue kayaking is being separated from the boat.

You'll also want to be comfortable setting off pyrotechnics at very close quarters whilst bobbing around in the sea.

I'd absolutely make sure you get a PLB and carrying it in your life vest at all times. Around $250, 150g in weight with a 7-10 year life. Pull that sucker and emergency are going to get a signal for at least 24hrs following telling them your coordinates to within 100m.

Also:
- A handheld marine radio.
- Night strobe light.
- Some packets of sea dye or those sea streamers would be best for letting a chopper that is close know where you are during the day.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby laneends » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:59 pm

NorthSIKer wrote: dye or those sea streamers would be best for letting a chopper that is close know where you are during the day.

Nevert thought of that, good idea.

I know para flares are not a legal requirement kayaks in VIc, but the principle is if you are well over the horizon no one may see the hand helds..Some of the bays this is easily possible. On the other hand let off a para flare and it may still be hard to pinpoint where it comes from. A kayak is harder to spot than a boat

PLB is top of the list.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby slim » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:51 am

In qld there isn’t a requirement for offshore flares for boats as inshore are deemed adequate due to our EPIRB laws. In a kayak I have to agree that a PLB is your best investment. The latest ones have a search radius of 3m. They are also getting cheaper which is nice
Kayaks are Pandoras Braclets for men.
slim
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: From Coffs to Monduran
Kayaks: Hobie Quest, Outback, Revo and malibu sierra10

Postby XXXX_guy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:30 am

Cheers for the replies.
Will probably go for the para-flares and a UHF to start with. Para-flares because as one of you point out around the islands it may be easier to have more people spot. As to the EPIRB/PLB, will wait a bit until I have a bit more money saved up. Currently only planning to be Kayaking around the Moreton Bay islands - not offshore.

Thanks,
XXXX_guy :grin:
XXXX_guy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Logan and surrounds

Return to Safety