Anchoring offshore

Discussion of safety equipment and use.
Dom
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra/south coast

Anchoring offshore

#1 Post by Dom » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:05 pm

Hello all

I own a 2015 Hobie outback, I am contemplating using a 230gram Cooper kayak anchor offshore to a maximum depth of 7 meters where the swell is no more 1.5 meters using about 25 meters of anchor rope and attaching in to my anchor trolley using the quick release method.

is this advisable and are there any precautions I should be taking?

Many thanks in advance

Dom
I go fishing not to find myself, but to lose myself........

Flathead PB: 82cm

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Midcoast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

Re: Anchoring offshore

#2 Post by ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:31 pm

Dom wrote:Hello all

I own a 2015 Hobie outback, I am contemplating using a 230gram Cooper kayak anchor offshore to a maximum depth of 7 meters where the swell is no more 1.5 meters using about 25 meters of anchor rope and attaching in to my anchor trolley using the quick release method.

is this advisable and are there any precautions I should be taking?

Many thanks in advance

Dom
Have a Hobie Outback and same cooper anchor.
It was good in calm estuary areas but outside while fishing near beaches in the open water it didnt work for me. Ended up using a heavier anchor.

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

#3 Post by Paulioq » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:32 am

you might want 5X the depth, for the length of rope in any swell. and add a meter of chain to help it bite in and I use a 1.5kg folding anchor and that still slips at times or gets stuck retrieving it. alternatively use a sea drough, that's what there for and if set up right with a float to stop it sinking and a colapse line connected to the back work well. I use a couple depending on conditions and what I want to do drift or stay put, I got one about a meter diameter and it holds me on a spot in up to 15kt or even better, and you can drift with the current not the wind so you can present a better looking bait,

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club

#4 Post by ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:25 pm

sea anchor/ chute is much better.

Dom
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra/south coast

#5 Post by Dom » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Many thanks for your replies.

Cheers

Dom
I go fishing not to find myself, but to lose myself........

Flathead PB: 82cm

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#6 Post by arpie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:30 pm

Yep - I concur with ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs ...... big drift shute is better.

Anchoring offshore can be very dangerous - with rising tide and/or swell likely to swamp you. I don't even use one in the estuaries, after i got it tangled in underwater snags & nearly got 'done' myself! I used a knife to cut them off. Never used one since.

I use a stakeout pole in the shallows (2 of them, one each side is better) and only ever drift or use my pedals to maintain position in deeper water. If a fast boat goes past, the wash could sink you as well!

In NZ, the kayakers (who almost ALL fish offshore) just use BIG DRIFT CHUTES - and by BIG - I mean HUGE! They use one that would stop a 30ft boat!! You've always gotta have a bit of pool noodle at the back, to grab to 'bring it in' - cos if you try to pull it in with your rope, you will sink yourself!!
Drift Chute NZ.jpg
it is MASSIVE and made of heavy material for long life. It is quite close to the yak too - not on a long line.

cheers

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by arpie on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club

#7 Post by ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:59 pm

arpie wrote:Yep - I concur with ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs ...... big drift shute is better.

Anchoring offshore can be very dangerous - with rising tide and/or swell likely to swamp you. I don't even use one in the estuaries, after i got it tangled in underwater snags & nearly got 'done' myself! I used a knife to cut them off. Never used one since. I use a stakeout pole in the shallows (2 of them, one each side is better) and only ever drift or use my pedals to maintain position in deeper water. If a fast boat goes past, the wash could sink you as well!

In NZ, the kayakers (who almost ALL fish offshore) just use BIG DRIFT CHUTES - and by BIG - I mean HUGE! They use one that would stop a 30ft boat!! You've always gotta have a bit of pool noodle at the back, to grab to 'bring it in' - cos if you try to pull it in with your rope, you will sink yourself!!
Drift Chute NZ.jpg
it is MASSIVE and made of heavy material for long life. It is quite close to the yak too - not on a long line.

cheers

Roberta
AGREE ARPIE 100%

I fish inshore / offshore alot with a Hobie Outback e.g. Swansea Heads near Newcastle, Seal Rocks north of Newcastle etc.
My anchor routine is as follows,

Estuaries and shallows, I use a Hobie stake out pole when I bother to pack it.
My cooper anchor is collecting dust in my garage

I use a big heavy metal anchor offshore ONLY when I am anchored off sandy bottoms and need something solid for when I am spearfishing near rocks or islands (but not anchored near rocks), I anchor away from rocks etc for safety. When I am spearfishing I strip my yak of the bells and whistles and only take minimal gear, this is I don't get tangled up. If spearfishing I strap my speargun to the side and leave the deck bare (no fishing rod or tackle). Anchor is kept in forward hatch or in a bag.

When fishing inshore e.g. approx 100 metres off rocky coast line areas where rock fisherman throw a line in, I ONLY use a drag chute, reason being swell, positioning of my kayak, other boats, fishing lines, swimmers / spear fisherman / scuba divers means a constant change in the environment, my biggest risk is being distracted and being washed up against rocks, submerged rocks or being just behind the breakers of breaking surf and somehow being distracted or misjudging timing / distance to where my kayak could accidently enters the surf zone (imagine getting rolled with an anchor lodged against a rock. Swell changes and you can be busy when watching the environment while trying to fish at the same time.

Anchors are good, but I find I dont use them much in general kayak fishing, I have had more use from my stakeout pole in shallow saltwater estuaries or using a sea anchor when off shore and wanting to slow my drift.

Each to their own, but this is what works for me, whats important is to only take what you need and not to clutter your deck for safety reasons (capsize with rope everywhere / tangled).

Good luck with your fishing

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

#8 Post by Paulioq » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:28 am

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs wrote:sea anchor/ chute is much better.
a sea drough is a sea anchor/chute???

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#9 Post by arpie » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:14 am

...a sea drough is a sea anchor/chute???....

Yes - the bigger the better. A really big one can almost stop your yak - smaller ones will just reduce the speed of your drift.

Attaching it to your anchor trolley is the way to go - so you can then angle your yak relative to the wind AND current .....

Every now & then Whitworths have HUGE ones for sale at reasonable price. Either go online & check their catalogue or ring the closest shop & ask for one to be sent to you

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Brenda5
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Burrum Heads, Qld
Kayaks: Dragon Pro Fisher kayak

#10 Post by Brenda5 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:38 am

Where I like to fish is just off the beach shore and we have a pretty strong cross current. After using one of those little half kg fold out prong anchors and it still dragging me down the beach and having to paddle back against the current several times I went in to the tackle world shop and he set me up with a heavy pronged boat anchor. It can at times still shift in the sand but only if I am reeling in a fish against it. I would not use the anchor anywhere near rocks or mangroves. Mine is purely for sand. The tricky bit is pulling the anchor up away from under the kayak. Don't want holes in the hull. :lol:

muzza111
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: kiama to ulladulla
Kayaks: lime green OK prowler 4.3

#11 Post by muzza111 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:24 pm

I regularly anchor in 10 metres of water. I wouldn't advise anchoring in anything over a metre swell as your kayak is moved backwards with the wind, and then surfs forward down the swells (pulled by the anchor line). And in shallower water like 3-5 metres, no swell at all - don't want to be anywhere a wave could break. As mentioned above, don't anchor near where boats are likely to go past close by as the wake will hit you side on and could roll you ( in rivers avoid the main channel). The other safety issue I would highlight is don't anchor when targeting big fish using heavy drag, it's no good when your fish is pulling you in one direction and the anchor line is pulling you another.

PS overall you shouldn't need to anchor too much, you're in a pedal kayak. It's different for those of us that need to paddle.
Yak PB's Kingfish 81cm Snapper 67cm Bream 37cm Groper 52cm Flathead 52cm

Return to “Safety”