Electronic Life Jacket

Discussion of safety equipment and use.

Re: Electronic Life Jacket

Postby tonystott » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:46 am

I have passed on the info to Hobie, as they seem like the sort of company which could use a product like this right across their range....
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker
tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

Postby arpie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:01 am

Hi Ashley

It is Great to see you on the forum & clearing up some of the questions posed by members. I really like the 'choice of time' to inflate if I sink to 1m ...... I think I'd have mine set to 1-2 secs (or even instant) ..... as it is NOT my intention to be that deep in the water whilst yak fishing!

It would be the perfect setup for Rock Fishermen, as well, I reckon, in case they get swept into the water!

More info as supplied on Youtube comment:

1.The Battery is mobile phone trchnology it lasts 10 hours in swim mode before needing a recharge.

More questions re the battery ........ if it lasts 'x' hours ...... is that only in 'deployment mode' or 'standby' - how often would it need to be recharged, (if the pfd is not used for days or weeks at a time?)

2.The Module does not interfere with the life jackets existing safetry features IE manual oral inflation or the emergency pull cord.

This manual feature of the pfd will always by MY first line of defense - at the first sign of discomfort on the water, I always partially or fully inflate my life jacket until the danger is 'over' ....... I believe the use of the manual/pull tab inflate OR EBBS inflate is an EMERGENCY option, not an every day option.

3.Once the life Jacket has been set of manually you can simply change the gas bottle.

4.If the life jacket is triggered by the electronics it will need to be serviced or exchanged.

If the unit would need to be 're-set' or exchanged once it had been deployed ...... (which, hopefully, if you 'managed' your manual inflation option with any dangerous situations that you may find yourself in - would NOT be very often ......)

Would it be recommended to have 2 units, so that you always have one 'ready to go' in case of deployment of the other?

5.Salt or Fresh water.

Excellent

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby Matt S » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:59 pm

what sort of $$$ are we looking at. (need to if I start saving now :wink: )
Insert Signature Here
Matt S
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: port stephens nsw
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

Postby arpie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:43 pm

About $100 - cheap insurance, I call it for emergency use!!

RP

arpie

Postby Jamie D » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:49 pm

One question I had is that in the video it seemed to require a reasonable submersion to be triggered all the participants in the video went under by say a meter or more , what if you just rolled off the side of your yak and never went deeper than a foot or two and were just bobbing on the surface , would it still deploy ?
Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

Postby tonystott » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:39 pm

No, it relies on water pressure at a depth of one metre. It is designed NOT to activate when you are swimming on the surface. Remember that your body will sink if your lungs are not full of air, so at that point, when you are going under, it will deploy and bring you back to the surface. You can evidently set the time delay so that you could theoretically dive in head-first and pop back up to the surface without setting it off. Another example: you are in surf, and need to dive under waves. It wouldn't activate if you were under a metre for less than the time delay you set.

Think of this as a middle ground between the fully manual PFD and the fully automatic one, which could go off if you got hit with spray (this is particularly relevant for Hobie Island sailors, who are persistently likely to be hit by large volumes of spray- I have often had spray going higher than my head), plus you retain the ability to pull the ripcord and manually inflate the PFD.
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker
tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

Postby T.J » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:13 am

ashnery wrote:the electronics will only start counting when you go under 1 meter of water and if you are still under 1 meter of water in the 10 second period the unit will acctivate and bring you to the surface.

Dose that mean 1 meter from where the unit is mounted?
If so allowing say 500 to 600mm to your chin it would auto inflate if you had to swim under your kayak to turn it right side up in bad conditions and that would be not a good thing.
Apart from that I thinks its a brilliant concept.
Regards,
T.J
T.J
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Botany Bay and Surrounds
Kayaks: A plastic one

Postby arpie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:35 am

....Dose that mean 1 meter from where the unit is mounted? .....

No - it is totally PRESSURE related. THere is a certain amount of pressure that is exerted in water at a specific depth. It will only go off at the pressure required to trip the switch at 1m underwater. By delaying the timing anywhere from INSTANT to 10 secs .... you set it to your own 'timing'. As Tony said - you can dive under waves etc it will NOT go off. STAY under the wave for longer than your designated timer has been set - and it WILL go off.

If you pop up out of the water of your own accord, the countdown stops!

Remember those 2 young surf life savers? They died DURING Life Savers Competitions in 2 different events! There were thousands of qualified life savers all around them. They SHOULD have been saved ....... BUT ...... they had been hit by their boards, the air knocked out of their chest and they sunk like a stone were not found for many hours .......or the next day.

Roberta

arpie

Postby Brendon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:00 pm

Really interesting device.
Would seriously consider adding one to my Hobie fishing PFD.
My only concern would be reliabilty of plugs and seal on batterys and wether people would not maintain them properly ie charging and then have them fail.
Is there a an indicator on the jacket itself light or aural that the battery charge is getting low?press to test button.

Re the coment about aircraft use.Even a ten second delay could be problematic as in helicopters and light aircraft the cabin often fills completely before people can exit and having the jacket inflate in the cabin will try to pin you to the roof.There was an airliner ditch into the ocean a number of years ago off Africa (Sheychelles?) and a number of the passengers panicked inflated the jackets early and were unable to exit the cabin leading to additional fatalites.

Good luck to all involved .Look forward to seeing it on the shelves or fitted at manufacture.
Cheers Brendon
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !
Brendon
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

Postby ashnery » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:17 am

Things are looking up.The response has been mostly positive.
We have found from trials it is extremly difficult to manually active a PFD whilst under water if yo can do it in under 8 seconds I would be impressed.
The only units we set at 5 seconds with a 1/2 meter pressure trigger are the childs swimming pool version this allows the wearer to swim down to the botom and come back up without activation.
We are mounting the electronics at shoulder height ,so when you are in the water the poressure sensor is near the surface.
Unfortunatly if you are in under under 1 meter of water the electronic module will not deploy,you will have to manually deploy the unit as long as you are consious.unless of coarse you have the mode set to instant were it will deploy in 3 seconds at 200mm depth.(basicially is falling in).
I kow a lot of people on here are saying "well I dont want to be under water 1 meter".the truth of the matter is if you are drowing the only place your body is heading is down,and in the lake or ocean ,people looking for you will not be able to find you.
And please make sure you know where your pull cord is ,so in an emergency you can find it ,you should try bobbings in the water and reaching for it and you will see what I mean.(Extremely difficult to find)
ashnery
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: lake macquarie

Postby arpie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:28 am

Hi Ash

THanks for that information - it is interesting what you say about the difficulty in trying to deploy a regular inflatable pfd once you are actually under the water even if NOT in difficulty (ie about to drown!) I've never tried it ....... has anyone else? I guess you should make sure that the handle is outside the vest, not inside (so easier to find for a start?)

...Unfortunatly if you are in under under 1 meter of water the electronic module will not deploy,you will have to manually deploy the unit as long as you are consious.unless of coarse you have the mode set to instant were it will deploy in 3 seconds at 200mm depth.(basicially is falling in).......

so just to clarify this bit ........ if you are IN the water & UNDER the water but NOT at the 1m depth (conscious or not) ......... it will not deploy (reasonable enough, given that we understand that it will only deploy at 1m and after a specified time) so you MUST deploy it manually (unless you have the unit set to deploy immediately.)

ALL the more reason to be proactive when in tricky situations & MANUALLY self inflating the vest to a degree that you WILL be safe if you fall in - and the depth trigger is there purely as a safety factor

RP

arpie

Postby ashnery » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:37 am

Correct
The interesting thing ,why you are under the water searching for your manual pull cord 9 times out of 10 the unit will deploy first.
AS LONG AS YOU ARE IN MORE THAN 1 METER OF WATER.

UNLESS OF COARSE YOU HAVE IT IN INSTANT MODE.
These jacket alredy exist using a tablet to inflate.But they false activate when you get splashed or raining.Ours works on pressure.
ashnery
KFDU Angler

Postby swabio » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:23 pm

any updates on this bad boy?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity!

swabio
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Canberra / NSW South Coast.....and the local lakes!
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler old school PA14

Postby ashnery » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:58 am

Hi All
Well its been a ride.
Very soon you will see a child electronic safety shirt to help prevent child drownings.
and more so for kayakers an adaptable unit you can fit to you current PFD to make it auto inflate if you are unconscious.
ashnery
KFDU Angler

Postby arpie » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 am

Thanks for getting back to us, Ash - please keep us up to date as you bring your product to market, as I am sure there are many on the forum here that will be the first to purchase it!! :wink: I'll be one of them! :gu:

cheers

Roberta

arpie

PreviousNext

Return to Safety