Warning: Tick danger

Discussion of safety equipment and use.

Warning: Tick danger

Postby Steve R » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:29 pm

Ticks can be more than just an annoyance if you scrub bash on the East coast.

This is not a post seeking sympathy but a warning about a developing problem associated with ticks that does not seem to be well publicised. There is no known cure. The only way to ensure you keep your beef, lamb, pork and game on the menu is to make yourself unnatractive to ticks and know how to remove them without irritating them or squashing them. Either that or stop kayak fishing , camping, etc in East coast scrub.

Over the past five years or so, I occasionally suffer a bout of hives, rash, incredible itching and swelling. Initially, I connected the problem with white-tailed spiders that regularly invaded our house and took appropriate action to rid my environment of the pests. In March this year, I saw the following video

Not long after, I suffered an allergic reaction after eating a dish with beef in it. My suspicions rose. However, after that I ate all types of red meat many times with no ill effect. Last night I ate a beef stew and was up taking an antihistamine about 3AM. The bite site of my most recent tick bite was swollen and hard. As well as the above symptoms, there was mild stomach pain. Further research indicates the meat allergy caused by ticks may not occur every time meat is eaten. I eat meat regularly but only suffer allergic reaction six months or more apart. While undiagnosed, I now strongly suspect tick bites led to me suffering MMA.

I consider myself fortunate. My allergic reaction feels very uncomfortable if untreated but does not result in swelling that cuts off the airways. An anti-histamine tablet gets it under control in less than an hour. Some people suffer severe reactions, including anaphylactic shock. http://www.anaphylaxis101.com.au/allergy-signs-and-symptoms/

Nobody knows a lot about MMA. Different people have different experiences. If you have suffered tick bite in the past, be aware that the induced allergy may take many months to appear. Possibly longer. So, if you were bitten some time in the past and start to become incredibly itchy, get rashes, hives or start feeling tingly around the mouth, take an antihistamine straight away. Medical advice is to attend emergency as a precaution in case of severe anaphylactic reaction.

I had leftovers with a side-dish of antihistamine tablet for dinner tonight :yum:

The tick zone
Last edited by Steve R on Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau
Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Re: Warning: Tick danger

Postby Tiny Torpedo » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:03 am

Bloody ticks!!! I tell ya, they are the most useless living thing on this earth!! With over 8 years as a Veterinary Nurse on the South Coast and you'd know my frustration :egrin:
Is it just Paralysis ticks that cause MMA?
Thanks for sharing this info

Ps. Another disease these creatures spread is Lyme Disease.... A horrible disease that has a lot of controversy in this county.. Despite what the government think, it is here in Australia...!

Be vigilant people!
Cheers,
Ezza

Tiny Torpedo
2015 Freshwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: NSW

Postby 4weightfanatic » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:33 am

I have worked as a Bush Regenerator for the past 3 years on the Sunshine Coast , QLD and encounter a couple of types of ticks on most sites from the coast to the hinterland. I have never encountered a Paralysis tick but plenty of small grass ticks (4 in the last fortnight at Woombye) and the larger ticks which are more prevalent in summer. Thankfully I only get an itching reaction with the bite site swelling for a few days. Worst I've had was 18 in one day . Cheers Pat.
don't you see their bodies burning, desolate and full of yearning, dying of anticipation, choking from intoxication
4weightfanatic
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: water
Kayaks: Australis Bass

Postby Steve R » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:52 pm

4weightfanatic wrote:Thankfully I only get an itching reaction with the bite site swelling for a few days.

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean you haven't received a dose of Galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose (Alpha-gal), which seems to be the chemical introduced by ticks to which some (?) people are allergic.

More reading
http://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bugbitten/2014/04/28/mammalian-meat-allergy-caused-by-tick-bites/
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau
Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Postby Swamp Stalker » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:41 pm

Reminds me of a fishing trip a lot of years ago to Port Stephens. A couple of mates and I went up there for a weekend of LBG fishing at Tomaree Head. It was an easy walk in through a bit of light bush. At the end of the day we returned to the unit we were staying in and had a couple of cold beers. During the conversation I noticed what I thought was a mole on my mates neck and suggested he get it looked at, but to our surprise it turned out to be a tick.

The next hour was spent getting ticks out of each other, I only had 5, but the other two guys had 9 and 12 imbedded in their head, neck and backs. I'm glad there was no one else around to see three semi naked men preening each other, some thing very similar to gorillas in the mist I think. :lol:
SWAMP STALKER TACKLE
Swamp Stalker
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 10

Return to Safety