standing in kayaks

Discussion of safety equipment and use.
Sway9
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Austi to Batemans Bay
Kayaks: Team FOIB Mini X

standing in kayaks

#1 Post by Sway9 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:06 am

I guess tjis is a safety question. It appears my mini x is equipped with a "standing platform". I know you can stand in some hobies and the feel free moken, etc. Does anyone want to give me any pointers as to what I should do to learn how to stand or should I just not? :lol:
#FOIB
You were beaten once before
But its not like that anymore

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Midcoast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

Re: standing in kayaks

#2 Post by ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:01 am

I stand in my Hobie Outback and I am a guy who is 6ft tall and 110 kg

I make sure rods are leashed in case I flip
I practice getting up and down a number of times in case of unexpected rock from swell or loss of balance
Keep my deck as clear of clutter as possible
Nothing sharp or loose on the deck that could hurt me in case I fall back into my seating area.
I lightly hold onto my right side front rod holder as a gentle support (not much weight on it)
Keep my feet in the lowest area of my kayak to help with stability
Have my mirage drive set so my are fins vertical like a keel to help with stability

tasmaniac
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Huon & Channel area

#3 Post by tasmaniac » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:08 am

Go for it! There are two things to remember before you try it though.

1 Have a buddy with you
2 The most important point!..Make sure he's got a camera ready. preferably a GoPro :oops:
Cheers & tight lines
Greg

mouse
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: SEQ

#4 Post by mouse » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:13 am

I would recommend practicing in a pool or protected area out of currents, etc without any fishing gear. Remember the life jacket.
Have an observer just incase something goes wrong, then practice, practice and more pratice until you feel confident to stand and rock the yak from side to side to get a feel for your limits and the yak's limits.
Then load the yak with some additional weight (simulating fishing gear) and try again.

Practice makes perfect and builds confidence :wink:
Cheers,
Kym

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

#5 Post by Plakkyboat » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:26 am

Start on dry land with about 6 months of Tai Chi lessons including 6 months of Yoga classes. No safety vest required.

Also try some water skiing this summer if you get a chance (barefoot if you can).

That should enable you to maintain your skills and confidence with standing up and fishing out of your kayak.

Be wary of smashing your head on the sides of a pool if that's where you choose to practice. :beye:
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

Sway9
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Austi to Batemans Bay
Kayaks: Team FOIB Mini X

#6 Post by Sway9 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:19 pm

Thanks guys. Scull I'm 6'4" so hopefully the extra height doesn't make my centre of gravity topple. Mouse I'll try at the lpcal public pool. That way I can practice re entry too :lol:
#FOIB
You were beaten once before
But its not like that anymore

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Midcoast NSW

#7 Post by ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:07 pm

Plakkyboat wrote:Start on dry land with about 6 months of Tai Chi lessons including 6 months of Yoga classes. No safety vest required.

Also try some water skiing this summer if you get a chance (barefoot if you can).

That should enable you to maintain your skills and confidence with standing up and fishing out of your kayak.

Be wary of smashing your head on the sides of a pool if that's where you choose to practice. :beye:
I would also try Miyagi Dojo Kayak Fishing Club
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sigs
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Tweed valley

#8 Post by sigs » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:11 pm

When it comes to balancing while standing it is important to always keep technique in mind as you fish. Stand with your knees slightly bent and feet shoulder width apart, keeping your muscles as relaxed as you can. The minute you tense up your balance will suffer. I find standing up to be a bit overrated anyway, I only do it when i fish shallow estuary water when the wind is very light and tide is moving relatively slow.

Dinger
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Yamba
Kayaks: mariner 10

#9 Post by Dinger » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Piece of p-ss in a 10 ft Mariner . & Im 6 ft & 60 yrs old :grin:

Lazybugger
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

#10 Post by Lazybugger » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:06 pm

I only fish offshore so am not going to be doing it my stealth anytime soon. I would suggest though that you practice re-entry a number of times. Make sure you have your life jacket on so you are simulating a real life situation. While the life jacket does keep you afloat it can cause issues trying to get back on especially if you have lots of tools connected to it. If you have reentry issues consider a stirrup ( a tie down strap, cut down - buckle removed - tied in a loop - looped through side handle).

And I would way the risks v benefits of this style of fishing in winter - when the water temp may bring your balls to your tonsils if you fall in.

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

#11 Post by Plakkyboat » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:03 pm

Lazybugger wrote:I only fish offshore so am not going to be doing it my stealth anytime soon.....
I agree with you LB about standing up offshore but what fun to try it in calmer/protected waters especially on a ski :beye:

Here's a demo pic below of how it's done from my brand of ski (a Kaskazi Dorado 2).
D2 Stand Up Test.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

Return to “Safety”