shark issue?

Discussion of safety equipment and use.

shark issue?

Postby kayaknewby » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:40 pm

hey guys, im possibly being paranoid but i'll ask....
lately theres been sharks sighted within 4km from shore all around my state and recently there was a 7 metre boat 3.7km from shore that encountered a shark with video of it that showed the shark biting the boat for a second, and also theres been a sighting approx 50 metres from the mouth of my local river (in the exact area id be fishing when out in my yak) so im kinda wondering whats my chances and all that in a 3.5m kayak if one of these sharks are around? I mean generaly I thought if no burley and all that and I didn't paddle or anything id be ok but after seeing a 3 or so metre shark attack a 7 or so metre boat without any provoking (also that shark circled the boat for 2 hours) Im a bit afraid to even go 50 metre of shore as the shark would cut through my kayak like a hot knife through butter haha, I know im maybe paranoid and over reacting but really though haha what can I do to be safe LOL ?
kayaknewby
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: tasmania

Re: shark issue?

Postby tommo1 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:45 pm

Look at Offshore reports "Coffs Boys go yak fishing the barrier reef". We had more than 20 big bull sharks all more than 2.5 m in full feeding mode around the mother ship and we launched our yaks and paddled over these big bullies with not one giving us even a little bump

Sharks for us yakker sa really not an issue

Surfers on the other hand........

Don't worry about sharks. Media hype to get ratings and sell ads.

Cheers
tommo1
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Coffs harbour

Postby kayaknewby » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:48 pm

tommo1 wrote:Look at Offshore reports "Coffs Boys go yak fishing the barrier reef". We had more than 20 big bull sharks all more than 2.5 m in full feeding mode around the mother ship and we launched our yaks and paddled over these big bullies with not one giving us even a little bump

Sharks for us yakker sa really not an issue

Surfers on the other hand........

Don't worry about sharks. Media hype to get ratings and sell ads.

Cheers

well im from Tassie so when us boys see sharks around the boat or off shore like this there great whites and that alone is nothing id normaly think (im In a yak as big as them im fine) but with the video footage of a 3-4m white shark biting the 7m or so boat without being provoked or anything kinda makes me a bit worried lol a boat is a bit step up from a small kayak that's plastic haha
kayaknewby
KFDU Angler

Postby sunburnt » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:01 pm

If you are concerned get yourself a shark shield. The piece of mind is worth the price.

No, you won't be 100% protected but unless you slather your self and kayak in tuna blood and oil you won't have a curious shark chewing on your rudder. The research and antidotal evidence from other kayakers is out there. They do not like them.
sunburnt
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney East

Postby kayaknewby » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:07 pm

sunburnt wrote:If you are concerned get yourself a shark shield. The piece of mind is worth the price.

No, you won't be 100% protected but unless you slather your self and kayak in tuna blood and oil you won't have a curious shark chewing on your rudder. The research and antidotal evidence from other kayakers is out there. They do not like them.

ohh I believe you they don't like them but I don't have that kind of money to spend at the moment (maybe in the long term scenario) when im only planning to go less than 1 km of shore at most (wich normaly isn't a issue but lately im a bit scared been as they have been sighted within 50m of shore in my local area) so at the moment its I don't go out in my kayak at all or I go down river wich isn't exactly going to catch me a lot more than fishin from shore lol?
kayaknewby
KFDU Angler

Postby tommo1 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:31 pm

Mate if you are that concernend about sharks then stay out of the ocean or creeks and take up bowls. Sharks is a matter of life if you go into the ocean. Consider how many people use the ocean every day and how many gets eaten? More people die on an average weekend on our roads yet you would happily drive with your family without so much of a concern that you might get side swiped by a truck
Yes there is a Small infinitesimal risk but you are more likely to die from drowning or exposure especially in Tassie's cold ocean, than a shark attack yet nobody worries about that . Paul , my paddle companion, came across a 4.5m GWS off Diggers beach. He managed to paddle to it and got some great footage. She did not mindlessly attack him. She swam away

I'm tired of this shark issue. Ive paddled more than 6 years offshore now and never had an issue with any sharks. Ive seen bull sharks during my morning paddles in Bonville creek and even had been bumped once just past the highway bridge during the mullet run but generally sharks tend to leave you alone.
GWS have hit ocean racing ski's of Perth (one case reported so far) but the shark did not return to finish off the paddler. Once it got a mouth full of fibreglass it left.

Sharks bite the boat engine because they sense the electricity. On our recent trip these aggressive bull sharks were biting some metal shackles that was hanging in the water and causing a disturbance in the running current. They would swim up to it and either bump them or give a bite and release immediately. They were also very interested in our go pros that we stuck under water

Again get a shark shield if that will make you feel better but accept sharks as a fact of life. be aware and respectful of them but don't loose any sleep

Chhers
tommo1
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby kayaknewby » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:43 pm

tommo1 wrote:Mate if you are that concernend about sharks then stay out of the ocean or creeks and take up bowls. Sharks is a matter of life if you go into the ocean. Consider how many people use the ocean every day and how many gets eaten? More people die on an average weekend on our roads yet you would happily drive with your family without so much of a concern that you might get side swiped by a truck
Yes there is a Small infinitesimal risk but you are more likely to die from drowning or exposure especially in Tassie's cold ocean, than a shark attack yet nobody worries about that . Paul , my paddle companion, came across a 4.5m GWS off Diggers beach. He managed to paddle to it and got some great footage. She did not mindlessly attack him. She swam away

I'm tired of this shark issue. Ive paddled more than 6 years offshore now and never had an issue with any sharks. Ive seen bull sharks during my morning paddles in Bonville creek and even had been bumped once just past the highway bridge during the mullet run but generally sharks tend to leave you alone.
GWS have hit ocean racing ski's of Perth (one case reported so far) but the shark did not return to finish off the paddler. Once it got a mouth full of fibreglass it left.

Sharks bite the boat engine because they sense the electricity. On our recent trip these aggressive bull sharks were biting some metal shackles that was hanging in the water and causing a disturbance in the running current. They would swim up to it and either bump them or give a bite and release immediately. They were also very interested in our go pros that we stuck under water

Again get a shark shield if that will make you feel better but accept sharks as a fact of life. be aware and respectful of them but don't loose any sleep

Chhers

well that's the strange thing im not exactly a "play it safe" kinda guy lol I ride dirt bikes a lot and I am a very crazy rider but for some reason im afraid of a shark, I guess its cause if I get attacked from a kayak and I end up in the water im more than likely lunch and that's goodbye from me, where as if I crash a dirtbike I may likely be around for my kids still even if its from a chair haha, my point being im far from a pussie but at the same time im kinda scared when I cant even go slightly off shore at my local river outlet (I can cast as far as the shark was sighted with my surf rod) without being in the "attack" zone haha and yeah im prob a bit paranoid but I cannot think of anything worse than what my kids/family would go through if I was to be killed by a shark
Last edited by kayaknewby on Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kayaknewby
KFDU Angler

Postby mouse » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:28 pm

Trout fishing is good in Tassie.....no sharks to contend with :wink:
Cheers,
Kym
mouse
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: SEQ

Postby kayaknewby » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:30 pm

mouse wrote:Trout fishing is good in Tassie.....no sharks to contend with :wink:

haha true that love me trout fishing but I also love the kayaking hahaha :)
kayaknewby
KFDU Angler

Postby Sway9 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:42 pm

I used to be scared witless of stingrays. Not til a few of em passnunder you that you get used to em. Sharks even if sighted aren't a big factor to worry about. That boat could of had fish blood, burley, human blood, fish scraps, etc caked onto it or slicked behind it, you never know mate. I wouldn't stress too much. If your that worried find the closest stream, creek or freshwater river and fish that. Plenty of fun to be had anywhere where there's water
#FOIB
You were beaten once before
But its not like that anymore
Sway9
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Austi to Batemans Bay
Kayaks: Team FOIB Mini X

Postby kayaknewby » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:53 pm

Sway9 wrote:I used to be scared witless of stingrays. Not til a few of em passnunder you that you get used to em. Sharks even if sighted aren't a big factor to worry about. That boat could of had fish blood, burley, human blood, fish scraps, etc caked onto it or slicked behind it, you never know mate. I wouldn't stress too much. If your that worried find the closest stream, creek or freshwater river and fish that. Plenty of fun to be had anywhere where there's water

lol im far from afraid of stingrays as im used to wading with them when floundering/catchin them with rod/reel haha but yeah I recently had become scared of the sharks because of all the hype with them close to shore (normaly id not be scared but with them randomy attacking a boat) im kinda worried LOL
kayaknewby
KFDU Angler

Postby Sway9 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:03 am

Different strokes. To be honest tommo1 and yaqdoq are the ones I'd be listening to most of all. I've seen yaqdoq's videos and they've had some run ins with sharks, never even been attacked from what I can tell. Same with Jaimie D and they surround themselves with mackeral blood lol
#FOIB
You were beaten once before
But its not like that anymore
Sway9
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Austi to Batemans Bay
Kayaks: Team FOIB Mini X

Postby Marty75 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:35 am

You may not like this video then :wink: http://youtu.be/Qrtsk5wuaoo

The shark didn't attack them but still scary...

Marty
Marty75
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 465, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11, Prowler Ultra 4.3

Postby beachrod » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:43 am

You have more of a chance of getting wiped out driving on Sydney's roads. :smart:
Fishinyak on YouTube.
beachrod
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: sydney,central coast,illawarra
Kayaks: rtm key largo & Eco bass yak.

Postby tommo1 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:35 am

Marty75 wrote:You may not like this video then :wink: http://youtu.be/Qrtsk5wuaoo

The shark didn't attack them but still scary...

Marty

Very cool video

Shark was just curios. We used to go holiday in Hartenbos. Great place. One day I was board riding when a 3m GWS swam under me. It scared the crap out of me and I was in on the next wave
Thinking back if it wanted to eat me I would have no chance

Cheers
tommo1
KFDU 1000 Club

Next

Return to Safety